April 9th - Code Reading Game - TestNG

Zach

Mar 27, 2012, 4:38:09 PM3/27/12
to boston-softwar...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

April 9th @ Icosystem we're going to do a code reading exercise! Here's the plan
1) Each person is going to do a solo review of the code to see if they can get a sense of the overall design / architecture
2) We're going to go around in a circle and have each person give a little presentation of what they discovered.
3) In a discussion we divide and conquer, breaking up the code base into different pieces for each of us to investigate. And we get 10-15 minutes for the investigation
4) Another discussion to explain your piece

The main question we'll be asking in this session is how good were your initial readings / assumptions on how the codebase was organized.

I'm going to recommend we use TestNG https://github.com/cbeust/testng/ My thinking is it's a domain we're all familiar with, but probably a testing library + approach we're not intimate with. Because this is the first time we're trying this exercise I feel that starting with an "easier" domain might allow us better success.

Thoughts?

Thanks! And this should be fun... I hope :)

-Zach

Zach

Mar 29, 2012, 1:33:51 PM3/29/12
to boston-softwar...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Here's the gathers.us invite please forward around.

Vineet Sinha

Apr 3, 2012, 1:33:27 AM4/3/12
to boston-softwar...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking that it would be good to do multiple small iterations (as opposed to one big iteration) of the code reading exercise. Doing that would hopefully maximize us sharing and trying code reading strategies.

Also, this is a little bit more of my bias - as a developer I feel like I need to more often look at the code of a library/framework as opposed to a tool/application. If you guys feel similarly, then as we discussed last time - JGit or Neo4J might be a better fit.

(Sorry, I was travelling and could not reply earlier.)

-Vineet

Zach Shaw

Apr 4, 2012, 12:13:09 PM4/4/12
to boston-softwar...@googlegroups.com
At the Code'n cocktails we all brainstormed how to do the exercise and came up with two iterations and discussions after that. But let's review the approach at the meeting with the group. As for the project we look at. For the first time we do this exercise I'd like to keep it on a domain that we're all familiar with, next time I think it would be interesting to try something very different. Let's keep it as testNG and see how the exercise goes.

-Zach