Let's kick around some ideas for future meetups

Mark Champine

Jun 5, 2016, 6:01:34 PM6/5/16
to boston-clojure
Here are a few topic ideas. Are they interesting? What would you like to do at a future meetup?

Clojure.spec https://clojure.org/about/spec
Core.async https://github.com/clojure/core.async
Core.logic https://github.com/clojure/core.logic
React Landscape
Transducers  http://clojure.org/reference/transducers
Security in Clojure
Clojure testing
Intro to ClojureScript
DSLs (w/ Instaparse?)

Gabriel Horner

Jun 7, 2016, 8:11:16 AM6/7/16
to boston-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
    Most of those sound great. If there's any group interest I could do an intro to building React Native ClojureScript apps

Cheers,
Gabriel

boston-clojure

Jun 7, 2016, 10:54:05 AM6/7/16
to boston-clojure
Hey Gabriel,

I'm interested! And I think many of our members would be as well.  Let's start working up a presentation title and abstract, and look toward doing this late summer or early fall.  I think July is spoken for (need to finalize).

Anyone else, would you be willing to take on any of the topics below? Or propose your own??  We thrive when there's good content in the pipeline (like Gabriel's!).

M.

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Mark Champine wrote:
Here are a few topic ideas. Are they interesting? What would you like to do at a future meetup?

Clojure.spec https://clojure.org/about/spec
Core.async https://github.com/clojure/core.async
Core.logic https://github.com/clojure/core.logic
React Landscape
Transducers  http://clojure.org/reference/transducers
Security in Clojure
Clojure testing
Intro to ClojureScript
DSLs (w/ Instaparse?)

Elena Machkasova

Jun 10, 2016, 11:44:11 AM6/10/16
to boston-clojure, boston-...@googlegroups.com
I am very interested in clojure.spec, and will be looking into it with my students this summer. I should be in Boston for August 11th meetup. If anyone is interested in giving a talk on spec, that would be fantastic. If anyone is interested in meeting up with me before the meetup to put together a co-presentation, that would also be fantastic. I can also probably give a talk myself, although would much prefer some collaboration on it.

Unfortunately, August 11th is the only meetup date that works for me this year, so my apologies if this is interfering with other meetup plans. January meetup might also work for me, if the August one is already taken.

Cheers,
Elena
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to boston-clojur...@googlegroups.com.

boston-clojure

Jun 10, 2016, 2:20:41 PM6/10/16
to boston-clojure
Let's do it!  I'm happy to schedule clojure.spec as a topic for our August 11 meeting.

Any volunteers to take this on?  Or collaborate with Elena (and maybe others)?  I'm also happy to contribute.

For July, we could do React Native w/ Gabriel - or perhaps core.async which has been a popular ask.

All - please contact me or Ed Sumitra if you're interested in presenting or collaborating on core.async; we'd want to get a plan in place quickly to have a chance of being ready for July.

M.

Gabriel Horner

Jun 16, 2016, 8:26:59 AM6/16/16
to boston-clojure
Great to hear there's interest. I'll be out of town July but I could do September

Cheers, Gabriel

Elena Machkasova

Jun 20, 2016, 12:37:59 PM6/20/16
to boston-clojure
I've looked at clojure.spec. It's really cool, but I can't imagine a presentation on it taking more than 30 minutes, so there's definitely time for another talk for August.

Gabriel, how long would your talk be? Would it make sense to have both spec and React in August? Or do we want to combine spec with another "feature" talk, such as async, logic, or transducers?

Elena

Dr. Elena Machkasova
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Division of Science and Mathematics
University of Minnesota, Morris
Office: Sci 2325

Mark Champine

Jun 20, 2016, 2:28:23 PM6/20/16
to boston-clojure
I'd like us to do core.async on its own, probably in July.

I'm a core.async noob but just used it to simulate a peer-peer protocol handshake (Diffie-Hellman key agreement). It's a dead simple practical example of async, and I bet lots of other people would find such a "handshake simulation" useful. Ed Sumitra has some real-world examples as well, and I know a bunch of people have some practical experience with it. I'm thinking we'd have a presentation with live demos, or maybe even a workshop - trying to hit on 2 or 3 interesting examples that show off the most commonly used patterns and async functions, including e.g. alts.  We could also ask people to come with their core.async questions, problems, etc. and see if we can solve them together.

Re: spec in 30 minutes: Spec does seem pretty simple, but even if we could cover it in 30 minutes I'd rather augment the descriptive presentation with a reasonably complete "refactoring w/ spec" example, either with something that has no type checking, or refactoring from plumatic schema to spec. Either way, show off spec's regex and predicate syntax plus its destructuring, instrumentation generative testing features in the process.  That would probably mean not trying to combine it with anything else.

That's my leaning anyway, open to other people's thoughts.

M.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Gabriel Horner <gabriel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great to hear there's interest. I'll be out of town July but I could do September

Cheers, Gabriel
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to boston-clojure+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Elena Machkasova

Jun 21, 2016, 12:29:21 PM6/21/16
to Mark Champine, boston-clojure
Mark,

Re:spec:
I'd be happy to work with you on such an example (and might have some things from my project that may be relevant). Let's reconnect about it closer to the time.

Elena

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Mark Champine <mark.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Edward Sumitra

Jul 5, 2016, 10:26:55 PM7/5/16
to boston-clojure
Hi Elena, Mark,
  I'm looking at clojure.spec for generative testing and am happy to work with you for the August Clojure meetup.
Ed

Mark Champine

Jul 15, 2016, 9:27:12 AM7/15/16
to boston-clojure
Updated topic "to do" list:

Clojure.spec (August - Ed/Elena)
React Native ClojureScript Apps (Gabriel, Sept?)
Transducers (Jon)
Core.logic
React web app framework(s) (om next, reagent, many others)
Security
Testing
DSLs
Parsing
Clojure DB access

Anything else?

Gabriel Horner

Aug 11, 2016, 5:51:56 PM8/11/16
to Mark Champine, boston-clojure
Mark,
I actually won't be able to do September. I may be able to do October. Should know by end of next week. I'll send you an abstract when I can confirm a date

Cheers,
Gabriel

Mark Champine

Aug 17, 2016, 10:32:32 AM8/17/16
to boston-clojure, mark.c...@gmail.com
Thanks Gabriel,

No worries. I'll watch for your abstract.

M.

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 5:51:56 PM UTC-4, cldwalker wrote:
Mark,
I actually won't be able to do September. I may be able to do October. Should know by end of next week. I'll send you an abstract when I can confirm a date

Cheers,
Gabriel

Mark Champine

Aug 17, 2016, 10:50:35 AM8/17/16
to boston-clojure
Some topic requests for the last meetup:

Gabriel Horner

Aug 31, 2016, 8:00:28 PM8/31/16
to Mark Champine, boston-clojure
I won't be able to do October with family in town and remaining months of the year are uncertain for now. Will let you know if anything changes

Cheers,
Gabriel

Mark Champine

Aug 31, 2016, 9:26:12 PM8/31/16
to Gabriel Horner, boston-clojure
Thanks Gabriel, I appreciate your ongoing diligence in keeping me informed. It's a rare trait nowadays!

M.

Mark Champine

Nov 10, 2016, 11:07:47 PM11/10/16
to boston-clojure, gabriel...@gmail.com
Aaaand, it's suddenly November Gabriel. How did that happen?!  Any chance you could be ready for the December 8 meetup?

I still think it's a good topic of interest to many!

M.