Access Violations with MIDAS.DLL

Adam H.

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00

Just recently, we've been to experience Access Violations with midas.dll

The message is in the form of:

Access violation at address xxxxxxx in module 'MIDAS.DLL'. Read of address
xxxx

Does anyone know what may be causing this, or how can I fix it?

Thanks

Adam

Dan Miser (TeamB)

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00
Can you provide any steps to help reproduce the error?
--
Dan Miser
www.distribucon.com

Adam H. <ah...@nospam.netconnect.com.au> wrote in message

> Just recently, we've been to experience Access Violations with midas.dll

Dan Miser (TeamB)

Aug 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/17/00
The problem is definitely inside MIDAS.DLL. If you can isolate where it's
occuring, perhaps there would be a workaround or patch to the VCL that we
could apply to prevent it. That would also provide the test case that
Borland would need to fix the bug properly in the DLL. Please do keep me
posted if you can get the test case down to a smaller project. Once you get
that, feel free to email it to me, and I'll take a look.

As to your P.S., I won't be in Australia this year.
--

> It's an unusual one. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is frequent. I
> haven't traced it down to a single call or function at this stage, however
> it seems to happens when we go to retrieve the next packet from the
server.

> Would this point to a bug in the midas.dll, or more so a problem with my
> script?

> BTW - Are you planning on going to the Sydney Borland Conference this
> Summer?

Adam H.

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00

"Dan Miser (TeamB)" <dmi...@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Can you provide any steps to help reproduce the error?
> --
> Dan Miser

Hi Dan,

It's an unusual one. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is frequent. I
haven't traced it down to a single call or function at this stage, however
it seems to happens when we go to retrieve the next packet from the server.

I've just recently traded in for a new notebook, and put a new installation
of Delphi 5 on it. I forgot to run the update to 5.01, and I thought that
this may have been the problem. However, since then, I've ran the update,
and re-built the project, but still with these error messages.

Would this point to a bug in the midas.dll, or more so a problem with my
script?

Thanks for your help...

Adam

Adam H.

Aug 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/18/00
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try and chase it down a little more...

Regards

Adam

"Dan Miser (TeamB)" <dmi...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Teik Lim Ching

Aug 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/20/00
Error encountered in beforeUpdateRecord event at the point of Raise
Exception.Create('xxxxxxx'). The error message is
"Access violation at address 4DBODECD in module 'MIDAS.DLL'. Read of address
FFFFFFF."

This is a two tier database application where ClientDataSet and
DataSetProvider are dropped onto a datamodule.
I am using the DataSetField to create the master detail relationship in my
application.
This problem occurred after I modified master data and perform Master
CDS.ApplyUpdates(0). I traced the code and found out it occurred in the
DataSetProvider's BeforeUpdateRecord Event (Master) after it hit the Raise
Exception.Create('xxxxxx'). However, it will work fine if the program does
not execute the Raise Exception statement. Also, this does not happen in
the detail table.

Pls help.

Thanks in advance.
Raymond Ching

Adam H.

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
Are you using code where the applyupdates command is inbetween a try and
except or try and finally statement?

Adam

"Teik Lim Ching" <tlc...@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message

Teik Lim Ching

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
Hai;

Neither try..except nor try..finally statement in between the applyupdates.

Thanks
Raymond Ching

Adam H. <ah...@nospam.netconnect.com.au> wrote in message

Adam H.

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
Hmmm...

It's got me beat. I know I can have AV's if I have try / except statements
that include
the applyupdates command.

Maybe your problem is similar to mine - but I haven't figured mine out
yet... :-(

Adam

"Teik Lim Ching" <tlc...@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message

Teik Lim Ching

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00
Is there any workaround solution for this problem ?

I have tried to include the try..except statement in between the
applyupdates, I do get the same problem.

Thanks
Raymond Ching

Adam H. <ah...@nospam.netconnect.com.au> wrote in message

Dan Miser (TeamB)

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00
Can you post a snippet of code that shows the problem?
--
Dan Miser
www.distribucon.com

Teik Lim Ching <tlc...@pc.jaring.my> wrote in message

Adam H.

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Hi Dan,

In addition to this Access Violation error in Midas, is their any kind of
debuggin tool we could use to help you / borland track down the
problem within the MIDAS.DLL.

Does the address it gives (ie, Access violation at address xxxxxx) help
at all?

I still can't track down exactily what to do to cause the error. It occurs
when I use the GetNextPacket procedure, but not every time. I can't
see what conditions it occurs on, but I really need to get this fixed.

Thanks & Regards

Adam

Teik Lim Ching

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
I noticed that if there is an raise Exception statement in the ClientDataSet
beforePost Event or Tfield OnValidate event, I will get the AV frequently.
However, if I have an ABORT after the Raise statement, the problem will
seem to go away.

Of course, full of doubt and worry when the problem will hit back again.

Attached with part of the code for your checking.

Thanks
Raymond Ching

begin 666 CdsError.txt
<encoded_portion_removed>

Dan Miser (TeamB)

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
The only suggestion I would have is to strip down your code until you can
narrow down where the problem is occuring. Once you have that, feel free to
email it to me and I can take a look. Thanks.
--
Dan Miser
www.distribucon.com