How to switch IB6 OE to FB 1.0 ?

1 view

Nelson Chui

Jun 6, 2002, 10:16:52 AM6/6/02
Hi, any expert:

I have already completed an application by using D6pro, IBX 6.0.3, IB6.0.xx
client OE to access IB6.0.xx server OE in Win2000.
Now, I want to switch to FB instead of IB database because the latest
version of IB is not an open source database.

Would you let me know which and what think must be considered for such
database platform changes ?

Is it need re-code some part of my application where D6 standard component,
IBX 6.0.3 and some IB store procedures in server ?

Thank you for your reply in advance !!!

Regards

Nelson.

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Jun 6, 2002, 10:59:44 AM6/6/02
In article <3cff6e39$1_1@dnews>, nelso...@hotmail.com says...
> Hi, any expert:

You'll get a better reply to this question if you post it on the
Firebird newsgroups.

-Craig

--
Craig Stuntz (TeamB) · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):

Aage Johansen

Jun 6, 2002, 3:05:28 PM6/6/02
Nelson Chui wrote:
> I have already completed an application by using D6pro, IBX 6.0.3, IB6.0.xx
> client OE to access IB6.0.xx server OE in Win2000.
> Now, I want to switch to FB instead of IB database because the latest
> version of IB is not an open source database.
> Would you let me know which and what think must be considered for such
> database platform changes ?
> Is it need re-code some part of my application where D6 standard component,
> IBX 6.0.3 and some IB store procedures in server ?

I don't think there are any feature in IB/6.0 that is missing from Fb,
which means a switch is easy (IB/6.5 is another matter).
However, you should be aware that the combination of IBX and Fb may not
work too well in the future. If no one will make an effort to keep IBX
and Fb working well together, you should consider alternative middleware
- IBO and FIBplus comes to mind.

Regards,
Aage J.

Slava Ekimov

Jun 6, 2002, 4:58:15 PM6/6/02
> Would you let me know which and what think must be considered for such
> database platform changes ?

Only backup/restore

> Is it need re-code some part of my application where D6 standard
component,
> IBX 6.0.3 and some IB store procedures in server ?

My history is IB 5.6+BDE -> IB 6.0 OS+IBX -> Yaffil ...800+FIBplus
YF is clone of FB
None recode.

Claudio Valderrama C.

Jun 8, 2002, 4:14:11 AM6/8/02
Nelson Chui wrote:
> Hi, any expert:
>
> I have already completed an application by using D6pro, IBX 6.0.3,
> IB6.0.xx client OE to access IB6.0.xx server OE in Win2000.
> Now, I want to switch to FB instead of IB database because the latest
> version of IB is not an open source database.

1.- You email Jeff Overcash and asks him for the Firebird-compatible IBX
(JFBX) he has been developing secretly.
2.- You go to Borland's community site and read the paper "How to port
your applications from IB to FB", written by John Kaster.
3.- You need to get from Borland's Codecentral the "IB2FB migration
tool", written by Ben Matterson & Aaron Rudick if you don't have your
copy given at Borcon.

IF YOU CAN'T REALIZE THAT THIS IS A JOKE, YOU SHOULD BE IN THE MADHOUSE.
Hey, people, a bit of humor doesn't hurt!
:-)

C.
--
Claudio Valderrama C. - http://www.cvalde.com -