Speculation: leave Scott's Valley?

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 2:58:52 AM2/10/06
California is a high cost neighborhood, and one has to wonder whether the
valley really offers anything to justify it. Any reason for DevCoX to
consider itself tied to the west coast?

bobD

Oliver Townshend

Feb 10, 2006, 3:03:09 AM2/10/06
> California is a high cost neighborhood, and one has to wonder whether the
> valley really offers anything to justify it. Any reason for DevCoX to
> consider itself tied to the west coast?

Because that's where the current staff are? Why piss them off?

Oliver Townshend

Paul Nichols (TeamB)

Feb 9, 2006, 3:45:55 AM2/9/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

Borland has a huge Building in Atlanta. It may be part of their plans on
restructuring the Borland part. However I have no knowledge of this
whatsoever. I do, however, work within two miles of the Borland skyscraper.

Kristofer Skaug

Feb 10, 2006, 3:57:28 AM2/10/06

I don't know - except that the Delphi team might actually like it there
(also have families and friends to consider).

--
Kristofer

Kyle A. Miller

Feb 10, 2006, 4:32:51 AM2/10/06
NewCo is welcomed to move to Texas, the affordable Silicon Valley. :-)

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 4:43:40 AM2/10/06
"Oliver Townshend"

> Because that's where the current staff are? Why piss them off?

If selling their places in CA for west coast prices and then moving to some
quiet village in Tennessee would net enough money to help finance an
employee buyout, while getting them all bigger, nicer homes because the cost
of living is so much less, where's the loss?

Speaking as an ex-Californian, sounds like a win to me.

bobD

David Clegg

Feb 10, 2006, 4:54:37 AM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

> If selling their places in CA for west coast prices and then moving
> to some quiet village in Tennessee would net enough money to help
> finance an employee buyout, while getting them all bigger, nicer
> homes because the cost of living is so much less, where's the loss?

Hmm... perhaps I should start posting links quoting property prices and
cost of living figures for Auckland, New Zealand. The lifestyle here
doesn't suck either, and we have a strong Delphi heritage. At one stage
we were the second largest users per capita in the World.

And I promise to host a 'Welcome to Aotearoa' barbecue (limited numbers
though, so get those RSVPs in early).

--
Cheers,
David Clegg

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Pffft. Who needs English? I'm never going to England." - Homer Simpson

Joe

Feb 10, 2006, 4:58:15 AM2/10/06
Buy a small plot build a steel tube skyward with all the
plumbing outside with ships portholes instead of windows.
paint the whole thing with huge company logo's get
some guy like Richard Branson who is never out the
news self publishing the new brand and you are on a winner

"Bob Dawson" <RBDa...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Don Strenczewilk

Feb 10, 2006, 6:37:47 AM2/10/06
Maybe they should consider moving into one of the Delphi (automotive
electronics) plants that are closing. They wouldn't even need to buy a new
sign. :)

Jeff Overcash (TeamB)

Feb 10, 2006, 7:01:16 AM2/10/06

Well I'm only 15 miles down the road from it :). Actually that is where most of
the Caliber work is done from what I understand.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build

Oliver Townshend

Feb 10, 2006, 7:35:35 AM2/10/06
> If selling their places in CA for west coast prices and then moving to
> some
> quiet village in Tennessee would net enough money to help finance an
> employee buyout, while getting them all bigger, nicer homes because the
> cost
> of living is so much less, where's the loss?

Well I've never understood why anyone would live in LA, but the rest of
California seemed nice.

Oliver Townshend

Tony Bryer

Feb 10, 2006, 7:35:54 AM2/10/06
In article <xn0eibu1...@newsgroups.borland.com>, David Clegg
wrote:

> Hmm... perhaps I should start posting links quoting property
> prices and cost of living figures for Auckland, New Zealand.

Given the time difference NewCoNZ slogan - "what we do today,
Redmond does tomorrow" <g>

James David

Feb 10, 2006, 8:43:36 AM2/10/06
Don Strenczewilk wrote:

> Maybe they should consider moving into one of the Delphi (automotive
> electronics) plants that are closing. They wouldn't even need to buy
> a new sign. :)

That's the best idea yet! <g>

Randy Magruder

Feb 10, 2006, 9:25:15 AM2/10/06
Tampa, FL is nice this time of year.

David I, move the team to Tampa! No State Income Tax, Disneyworld and
Universal and Busch Gardens, oh my:)

< and I, of course, have NO ulterior motives for saying this>

Randy

Wayne Niddery [TeamB]

Feb 10, 2006, 10:30:54 AM2/10/06

The only issue is whether the people will want to move. As expensive as CA
is, I'm sure many of the employees would prefer to stay put. However
technology is such that perhaps the corporate base could move out of state
and still efficiently employee people there (but that means salaries remain
at necessary CA levels).

RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks.html
Working for yourself is great because you get to work half days, and
you can choose any twelve hours you want.

tony

Feb 10, 2006, 9:41:26 AM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

they should move to Milwaukee :-) cost of living is way less
expensive, rent for office space is cheaper etc

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 10:55:39 AM2/10/06
"tony" wrote

> they should move to Milwaukee :-) cost of living is way less
> expensive, rent for office space is cheaper etc

My own personal heaven is a small town dominated by a major university. All
the benefits of small town life, plus the cultural and intellectual
attractions of an academic center. Santa Barbara, Iowa City, Boulder,
Madison, Auburn, etc. Big cities are places to visit, not live.

Iowa City (where I am) always ranks as one of the most livable towns in the
US--so does Madison.

bobD

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 10, 2006, 11:14:51 AM2/10/06
"Bob Dawson" <bda...@idtdna.com> wrote in message

> Iowa City (where I am) always ranks as one of the most livable towns in
> the
> US--so does Madison.

If they move to Madison, will they put up a "Code Brother" sign in their
window when riots occur?

--

Download the latest draft (version 1.27, updated 2/2/2006) of
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: A Shared Mosaic of U.S. History"

Joe Hendricks

Feb 10, 2006, 11:39:24 AM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:
> My own personal heaven is a small town dominated by a major university. All
> the benefits of small town life, plus the cultural and intellectual
> attractions of an academic center. Santa Barbara, Iowa City, Boulder,
> Madison, Auburn, etc. Big cities are places to visit, not live.

Then my area would be perfect. Low low costs, forests and mountains,
PLUS a local 'chainsaw sculpture' university:

http://www.bearinabox.com/school.html

What more could 'devco' need ?

:-)

JoeH

David Farrell-Garcia

Feb 10, 2006, 10:42:05 AM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

>Any reason for DevCoX to consider itself tied to the west coast?

The weather?

--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Posted with XanaNews 1.17.6.6

Sam Remek

Feb 10, 2006, 11:48:59 AM2/10/06
David Clegg wrote:
> Bob Dawson wrote:
>

>>If selling their places in CA for west coast prices and then moving
>>to some quiet village in Tennessee would net enough money to help
>>finance an employee buyout, while getting them all bigger, nicer
>>homes because the cost of living is so much less, where's the loss?
>

> Hmm... perhaps I should start posting links quoting property prices and
> cost of living figures for Auckland, New Zealand. The lifestyle here
> doesn't suck either, and we have a strong Delphi heritage. At one stage
> we were the second largest users per capita in the World.
>
> And I promise to host a 'Welcome to Aotearoa' barbecue (limited numbers
> though, so get those RSVPs in early).

The weather is far too nice in New Zealand. The staff would be outside
playing in the sun and having too many bbq's.<g> They need to go to some
place with lousy weather 6 months of the year so they are kept in doors
and program their asses off. How about northern Canada?<g>

Sam

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 12:07:44 PM2/10/06
"David Farrell-Garcia" wrote

> >Any reason for DevCoX to consider itself tied to the west coast?
>
> The weather?

programming's like basketball--an indoor team sport.

bobD

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 12:12:59 PM2/10/06
"Crazy Horse's crazier little brother" wrote

> If they move to Madison, will they put up a "Code Brother" sign
> in their window when riots occur?

I'll leave defending Madison to the Wisconsinites
http://www.cheesehead.com/

bobD

Gbenga Abimbola

Feb 10, 2006, 11:23:24 AM2/10/06

You never know; maybe Borland has been "Bangalorized."
I'm quite sure, it won't cost as much as Silicon Valley!

Anders Ohlsson (Borland)

Feb 10, 2006, 12:25:43 PM2/10/06

> Because that's where the current staff are? Why piss them off?

Hey, I was about to write that!

--
Anders Ohlsson - http://blogs.borland.com/ao/
http://homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/#disclaimer

David Farrell-Garcia

Feb 10, 2006, 11:24:45 AM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

> programming's like basketball--an indoor team sport.

Exactly why they need escape to the outdoors when they get the chance..

Charles Appel

Feb 10, 2006, 12:28:54 PM2/10/06
"Paul Nichols (TeamB)" <pa...@comp.net> wrote in message

I'm about 15 miles away. Borland moving here would
be OK with me. :^)

--
Charles Appel
http://charlesappel.home.mindspring.com/

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 10, 2006, 1:33:28 PM2/10/06
Sam Remek wrote:
> They need to go to some
> place with lousy weather 6 months of the year so they are kept in doors
> and program their asses off. How about northern Canada?<g>

In this case maybe Anders has a better suggestion <g>

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Hannes Danzl[NDD]

Feb 10, 2006, 12:44:08 PM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

> California is a high cost neighborhood, and one has to wonder whether the
> valley really offers anything to justify it. Any reason for DevCoX to
> consider itself tied to the west coast?

Well, moving the current operating business out won't be possible on short to
mid term as you're going to loose too many valuable workers. The head of the
company should be moved to another country imo though. Not only for tax but
also for copyright reasons. Quite a few big companies have recently moved
their IPs out of the US into states that have much better protection for them
and thus avoiding to get flooded with lawsuits.

--

Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Ingvar Anderberg

Feb 10, 2006, 2:26:49 PM2/10/06

"Ingvar Nilsen" <my.ad...@my.signature> skrev i meddelandet news:43ecdbfc$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Sam Remek wrote:
>> They need to go to some
>> place with lousy weather 6 months of the year so they are kept in doors
>> and program their asses off. How about northern Canada?<g>
>
> In this case maybe Anders has a better suggestion <g>

I doubt he even speak that language any more <g>

/ia

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 10, 2006, 3:31:43 PM2/10/06
Ingvar Anderberg wrote:

>> In this case maybe Anders has a better suggestion <g>
>>

> I doubt he even speak that language any more <g>

He will, when DevCo relocates to Karlstad <g>

Mark A. Andrews

Feb 10, 2006, 3:45:36 PM2/10/06

> My own personal heaven is a small town dominated by a major university. All
> the benefits of small town life, plus the cultural and intellectual
> attractions of an academic center. Santa Barbara, Iowa City, Boulder,
> Madison, Auburn, etc. Big cities are places to visit, not live.

Auburn isn't exactly a cultural mecca. It isn't much more than an
intersection with a traffic light.

Mark

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 4:11:32 PM2/10/06
"Mark A. Andrews" wrote

> Auburn isn't exactly a cultural mecca. It isn't much more than an
> intersection with a traffic light.

That one was more a guess--can't say I know it. But there has to be some
town in the south besides Atlanta.

Rolla (MO) doesn't quite fit the profile either.

bobD

Dan Barclay

Feb 10, 2006, 4:23:15 PM2/10/06

> "Mark A. Andrews" wrote
>>

>> Auburn isn't exactly a cultural mecca. It isn't much more than an
>> intersection with a traffic light.
>
> That one was more a guess--can't say I know it. But there has to be some
> town in the south besides Atlanta.

You're thinking of Austin <g>. Unfortunately (to some of us) a little
California has leaked into there.

Dan

Ingvar Anderberg

Feb 10, 2006, 4:28:02 PM2/10/06

"Ingvar Nilsen" <my.ad...@my.signature> skrev i meddelandet news:43ecf7b4$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Ingvar Anderberg wrote:
>
>>> In this case maybe Anders has a better suggestion <g>
>>>

>> I doubt he even speak that language any more <g>
>
> He will, when DevCo relocates to Karlstad <g>

Oh no, they have a terrible dialect there,
I suggest Borlanda in Småland <g>

ia

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 10, 2006, 5:13:23 PM2/10/06
Ingvar Anderberg wrote:

>>> I doubt he even speak that language any more <g>
>>

>> He will, when DevCo relocates to Karlstad <g>
>

> Oh no, they have a terrible dialect there,

Terrible? It is highly influenced by the neighbour country, I think it
is beautiful! :)

> I suggest Borlanda in Småland <g>

Finnes det virkelig et sted som heter det?

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 10, 2006, 5:29:12 PM2/10/06
"Bob Dawson" <bda...@idtdna.com> wrote in message
> "Mark A. Andrews" wrote
>>

>> Auburn isn't exactly a cultural mecca. It isn't much more than an
>> intersection with a traffic light.
>
> That one was more a guess--can't say I know it. But there has to be some
> town in the south besides Atlanta.

Auburn, California...in the South? Is there another Auburn?

> Rolla (MO) doesn't quite fit the profile either.

How about Springfield, MO?

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 10, 2006, 5:15:35 PM2/10/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

> Any reason for DevCoX to
> consider itself tied to the west coast?

Only if DevCo wants to keep its current employees.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 10, 2006, 5:16:33 PM2/10/06
Randy Magruder wrote:

> Tampa, FL is nice this time of year.

But we'd have to live there every other day of the year, too.

Anders Ohlsson (Borland)

Feb 10, 2006, 6:34:35 PM2/10/06
HAHAHAHA!!!

> I suggest Borlanda in Småland <g>

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 10:24:03 PM2/10/06
"John Kaster (Borland)" wrote

> Only if DevCo wants to keep its current employees.

Aw come on, John. CA ain't what it used to be. (And you're thowing cold
water on a perfectly harmless thread...) You can't imagine moving to
somewhere nicer?

bobD

Bob Dawson

Feb 10, 2006, 10:19:03 PM2/10/06
"Crazy Horse's crazier little brother" wrote

> How about Springfield, MO?

Been told it's very nice, though never spent much time there. My time in MO
was three years in St. Louis.

bobD

Randy Magruder

Feb 10, 2006, 9:28:22 PM2/10/06
what's your point, john? :)

John Jacobson

Feb 10, 2006, 11:02:45 PM2/10/06
Bob Dawson <RBDa...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
<43ec46cd$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> California is a high cost neighborhood, and one has to wonder whether the
> valley really offers anything to justify it. Any reason for DevCoX to

> consider itself tied to the west coast?

I think they ought to relocate to Brookfield, Wisconsin. It's absolutely
beautiful around here when it snows. John Kaster would be only a few hours from
his old stomping grounds, Anders could pretend he is back in Sweden, and enjoy
all the anti-Swede jokes that Norwegians tell in Wisconsin. Plus they'd be
close enough that I could then hang out with Borlanders. 8^p

OK, it's settled then. They move to Brookfield and call themselves Delphi
Software Tools, Inc.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 1.0.4.2051

John Jacobson

Feb 10, 2006, 11:09:47 PM2/10/06
Bob Dawson <RBDa...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
<43ed57e1$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> You can't imagine moving to
> somewhere nicer?

You mean like Wisconsin?

It's really nice up here. No traffic. Nice people. Good snowy winters most of
the time. Relatively mild summers.

Taxes are kind of high though. And there seems to be an odd obsession with a
terrible football team. (But I've already gotten used to both of those.)

Bob Dawson

Feb 11, 2006, 1:06:25 AM2/11/06
"John Jacobson" wrote

> Taxes are kind of high though. And there seems to be an odd obsession with
> terrible football team. (But I've already gotten used to both of those.)

Not to be competitive there Cap'n, but taxes are better here, and the
Hawkeyes are actually good (NFL football isn't near as fun as Big 10).

Did I mention that the winter snow is just as pretty, but not as deep?

bobD

Diego Barros at dot

Feb 11, 2006, 4:23:56 AM2/11/06
On 2006-02-10 20:54:37 +1100, "David Clegg" <dcl...@gmail.com> said:

> Bob Dawson wrote:
>
>> If selling their places in CA for west coast prices and then moving
>> to some quiet village in Tennessee would net enough money to help
>> finance an employee buyout, while getting them all bigger, nicer
>> homes because the cost of living is so much less, where's the loss?
>
> Hmm... perhaps I should start posting links quoting property prices and
> cost of living figures for Auckland, New Zealand. The lifestyle here
> doesn't suck either, and we have a strong Delphi heritage. At one stage
> we were the second largest users per capita in the World.
>
> And I promise to host a 'Welcome to Aotearoa' barbecue (limited numbers
> though, so get those RSVPs in early).

So if you have two people and one uses Delphi then you've got 50% of
people (per capita) using Delphi. Now that's impressive! :)

Ingvar Anderberg

Feb 11, 2006, 4:55:50 AM2/11/06

"Ingvar Nilsen" <my.ad...@my.signature> skrev i meddelandet news:43ed0f87$1...@newsgroups.borland.com...
Ingvar Anderberg wrote:

>>> I doubt he even speak that language any more <g>
>>

>> He will, when DevCo relocates to Karlstad <g>
>

> Oh no, they have a terrible dialect there,

Terrible? It is highly influenced by the neighbour country, I think it
is beautiful! :)

> I suggest Borlanda in Småland <g>

Finnes det virkelig et sted som heter det?

Jajamen, här är det, mitt i kartan

http://tinyurl.com/754gn

Dejan Staniè

Feb 11, 2006, 5:05:15 AM2/11/06
Tony Bryer wrote:

> Given the time difference NewCoNZ slogan - "what we do today,
> Redmond does tomorrow" <g>

LOL!

LP,
Dejan

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 11, 2006, 6:26:32 AM2/11/06
Dejan Staniè wrote:

Agreed :)

MS: Where do you want to go today?
David Clegg: Been there, done it!

Sam Remek

Feb 11, 2006, 1:01:30 PM2/11/06
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

>>> He will, when DevCo relocates to Karlstad <g>
>>

>> Oh no, they have a terrible dialect there,
>

> Terrible? It is highly influenced by the neighbour country, I think it
> is beautiful! :)
>
>> I suggest Borlanda in Småland <g>
>

> Finnes det virkelig et sted som heter det?

How about Fargo? It snows there 5 months of the year, and it is out of
the way. It's close to both Canada and the US.

Sam

Paul Nichols (TeamB)

Feb 10, 2006, 4:00:10 PM2/10/06
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:

> Well I'm only 15 miles down the road from it :). Actually that is where
> most of the Caliber work is done from what I understand.

We need to do lunch sometime, Jeff.

David Clegg

Feb 11, 2006, 10:17:13 PM2/11/06
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

> Agreed :)

So it's settled then :-)

<rushes off to update resume to send to NewCoNZ>

--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dcl...@gmail.com
http://cc.borland.com/Author.aspx?ID=72299

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and
gremlins and eskimos." - Homer Simpson

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 11, 2006, 11:31:48 PM2/11/06
Randy Magruder wrote:

> what's your point, john? :)

I think you know! :P

I'm quite happy to visit, though.

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 12, 2006, 1:19:24 AM2/12/06
Bob Dawson wrote:

> Aw come on, John. CA ain't what it used to be.

I haven't found anywhere I prefer to live more than Santa Cruz, yet.

David Clegg

Feb 12, 2006, 4:05:57 AM2/12/06
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> I haven't found anywhere I prefer to live more than Santa Cruz, yet.

Thats what happens when you're only in NZ for an overnighter. I need
more time than that for the full sales pitch, John. :-)

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Hey, we didn't have a message on our answering machine when we left.
How very odd." - Homer Simpson

Rod

Feb 12, 2006, 6:18:22 AM2/12/06
Bob Dawson wrote:
> California is a high cost neighborhood, and one has to wonder whether the
> valley really offers anything to justify it. Any reason for DevCoX to
> consider itself tied to the west coast?
>
> bobD

come back to Germany/Denmark. The birthplace of Pascal.
Message has been deleted

Ingvar Anderberg

Feb 12, 2006, 2:05:08 PM2/12/06
>"David Dean" <ozch...@sneakemail.com> wrote
>>Rod <9...@999.com> wrote

>> come back to Germany/Denmark. The birthplace of Pascal.
>
> I thought he was French...

and the Pascal language had its birth in Zürich, Switzerland, AFAIK

/IA

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 12, 2006, 1:24:25 PM2/12/06
David Clegg wrote:

> Thats what happens when you're only in NZ for an overnighter. I need
> more time than that for the full sales pitch, John. :-)

There are places in NZ and Oz that definitely are tempting, I must
admit.

David Clegg

Feb 12, 2006, 1:51:12 PM2/12/06
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> There are places in NZ and Oz that definitely are tempting, I must
> admit.

Well, this is for sale

http://www.beachbreak.co.nz/main.htm

I'd send you the link to the real estate ad, except I don't have it at
work.

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Do I know what rhetorical means?" - Homer Simpson

Message has been deleted

Ingvar Nilsen

Feb 12, 2006, 3:43:06 PM2/12/06
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> David Clegg wrote:
>

>>Thats what happens when you're only in NZ for an overnighter. I need
>>more time than that for the full sales pitch, John. :-)
>

> There are places in NZ and Oz that definitely are tempting, I must
> admit.

The DVD extended edition of Lord Of The Rings has two additional DVDs
with interviews and backstage recordings. Some very breathtaking nature
scenery from NZ, in fact, believe it or not, it approaches Norway's beauty!

Oliver Townshend

Feb 12, 2006, 6:09:12 PM2/12/06
>> There are places in NZ and Oz that definitely are tempting, I must
>> admit.
>
> Well, this is for sale
>
> http://www.beachbreak.co.nz/main.htm

emmachizit?

Is that what you'd call a batch? Or a bit big for one?

Oliver Townshend

David Clegg

Feb 12, 2006, 5:32:08 PM2/12/06
Oliver Townshend wrote:

> emmachizit?

Somewhere between NZD $800K and $900K, IIRC. Trust me when I say it is
a bargain for that particular area.

> Is that what you'd call a batch?

It's actually a 3 bedroom house with two self contained units down
below. My parents currently run it as a B & B, but there's no reason
why it couldn't be used as a very spacious "bach" (note the correct
spelling :-)), with seperate sleeping quarters for 3 families.

The real plus it is only a couple of minutes walk from Ohope Beach. The
stretch it is at is great for swimming & surfing, but is far enough
from the popular end to make it relatively secluded.

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"I can't believe it! Reading and writing actually paid off!" - Homer
Simpson

John Wester [Group W]

Feb 12, 2006, 11:08:27 PM2/12/06
In article <43eee17c$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>, jo...@borland.com
says...

> Bob Dawson wrote:
>
> > Aw come on, John. CA ain't what it used to be.
>
> I haven't found anywhere I prefer to live more than Santa Cruz, yet.

You haven't been to Calgary, then. Heck, I'll even teach you how to play
hockey. :)

--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 12, 2006, 10:19:10 PM2/12/06
Ingvar Nilsen wrote:

> Some very breathtaking nature scenery from NZ,

Yes ... I actually knew this BEFORE LOTR turn NZ into a tourist trap!

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 12, 2006, 10:19:34 PM2/12/06
John Wester [Group W] wrote:

> You haven't been to Calgary, then.

LOL.

> Heck, I'll even teach you how to
> play hockey. :)

I wouldn't mind playing again. Haven't played since I was 14.

David Clegg

Feb 13, 2006, 12:12:13 AM2/13/06
I found the link :-)

http://www.harcourts.co.nz/listing/details.do?id=305603

So to answer your question more accurately this time, NZD $865K

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I
thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie -- Spaceballs. But
instead it was dark and disturbing like that movie, Police Academy." -
Homer Simpson

Oliver Townshend

Feb 13, 2006, 12:24:58 AM2/13/06
> So to answer your question more accurately this time, NZD $865K

Even in aussie dollars I can't really afford that unfortunately. My wife
would love it mind you.

Oliver Townshend

David Clegg

Feb 13, 2006, 12:29:41 AM2/13/06
Oliver Townshend wrote:

> Even in aussie dollars I can't really afford that unfortunately.

That's a shame. I'm not just saying this because of my relationship to
the vendors, but it really is a lovely property and wonderful location.
Ohope Beach is a very popular summer tourist destination, and this is
situated at the quiet (but still very nice) end of the beach.

> My wife would love it mind you.

Well, it is Valentines day tomorrow :-)

QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
http://qc.borland.com

"Wait a minute... I'm in no condition to drive... hmm... Hey, I'm
drunk! I shouldn't listen to myself !" - Homer Simpson

Oliver Townshend

Feb 13, 2006, 12:39:09 AM2/13/06
> Well, it is Valentines day tomorrow :-)

I'm thinking cards. I'm thinking chocolates. I'm thinking payday is
Wednesday.

Oliver Townshend

John Wester [Group W]

Feb 13, 2006, 10:22:03 AM2/13/06
In article <43f008d6$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>, jo...@borland.com
says...

> John Wester [Group W] wrote:
>
> > You haven't been to Calgary, then.
>
> LOL.
>
> > Heck, I'll even teach you how to
> > play hockey. :)
>
> I wouldn't mind playing again. Haven't played since I was 14.

Google Earth:

51° 0'53.62"N
114° 4'19.56"W

Bring yer skates...

(I build this rink. Best outdoor ice in the city, best pond hockey in
the city)

John Kaster (Borland)

Feb 13, 2006, 11:31:53 AM2/13/06
John Wester [Group W] wrote:

> Bring yer skates...

Haven't skated since I was in my 20s and didn't "upgrade" my skates
when I stopped playing hockey at 14.

Anders Ohlsson (Borland)

Feb 13, 2006, 12:45:57 PM2/13/06

> Haven't skated since I was in my 20s and didn't "upgrade" my skates
> when I stopped playing hockey at 14.

I could almost say the same thing. I hadn't skated for 15 years until
last weekend.

A friend of ours had some passes to the LogiTech rink, so both of our
families
went for some fun.

It was Nik's first time on ice skates. He's been roller blading and
heelying (shoes with
one wheel in each heel) for a while. After an hour he was already ice
skating better
than I am...

--
Anders Ohlsson - http://blogs.borland.com/ao/
http://homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/#disclaimer

marc hoffman

Feb 13, 2006, 2:21:24 PM2/13/06
John,

> You mean like Wisconsin?

For once, i'll have to agree with the captain. Love Wisconsin, can't
wait to one day move back there...

--
marc hoffman
Chief Architect, .NET

and the fifty-two daughters of the revolution
turn the gold to chrome

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 13, 2006, 3:25:49 PM2/13/06
"marc hoffman" <m...@spamobjects.com> wrote in message

> For once, i'll have to agree with the captain. Love Wisconsin, can't wait
> to one day move back there...

Where in WI did you live? I'm in Oconomowoc, between Milwaukee and Madison,
and am not overly fond of the area (too cold in the winter, too flat all the
time*). I yearn for my old mountain home in the gold rush country of
California.

I admit there are some really nice areas in WI, but IMO they are over by the
Mississippi River, and elsewhere in the "driftless" area (west-central and
southwestern part of the state)

* "There ain't nuthin' to a flat country no-how." -- from "Shepherd of the
Hills" by Harold Bell Wright
--

Download the latest draft (version 1.27, updated 2/2/2006) of
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: A Shared Mosaic of U.S. History"
by Blackbird Crow Raven: http://cc.borland.com/ccweb.exe/listing?id=23106

marc hoffman

Feb 13, 2006, 5:39:44 PM2/13/06
Crazy,

> Where in WI did you live? I'm in Oconomowoc, between Milwaukee and Madison,
> and am not overly fond of the area (too cold in the winter, too flat all the
> time*). I yearn for my old mountain home in the gold rush country of
> California.

Alma and Nelson; right at the Mighty Mississippi. Very nice. Best year
of my life ;)

I agree with the too cold in the winter, though (not that Berlin is any
better). Summer at the Mississippi, winter in La Jolla. Now there's a
combo i could live with ;)

Captain Jake

Feb 13, 2006, 6:19:31 PM2/13/06

> Alma and Nelson; right at the Mighty Mississippi. Very nice. Best year of
> my life ;)

That area is beautiful, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing.
You weren't too very far from my grandpa's farm where I used to spend
summers when I was growing up. He was halfway between LaCrosse and Eau
Claire.

> I agree with the too cold in the winter, though (not that Berlin is any
> better). Summer at the Mississippi, winter in La Jolla. Now there's a
> combo i could live with ;)

Not too cold this year. This has been one of the mildest winters on record.

Besides, winter is only 5 months long in Wisconsin. <g>

marc hoffman

Feb 14, 2006, 1:45:54 AM2/14/06
Captain,

> That area is beautiful, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing.
> You weren't too very far from my grandpa's farm where I used to spend
> summers when I was growing up. He was halfway between LaCrosse and Eau
> Claire.

Yeah. alma is about halfway between Eau Claire and Winona; iirc both
were about half an hour drive, La Crosse was about an hour south.

Ahh, good times...

>> I agree with the too cold in the winter, though (not that Berlin is any
>> better). Summer at the Mississippi, winter in La Jolla. Now there's a
>> combo i could live with ;)
>
> Not too cold this year. This has been one of the mildest winters on record.

Same here in Berlin. Last winter was a bitch, this one's almost over*
and i hardly noticed.

> Besides, winter is only 5 months long in Wisconsin. <g>

LOL.

(*probably shouldn't have said that. Now i jinxed it ;)

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 14, 2006, 11:16:54 AM2/14/06

> Yeah. alma is about halfway between Eau Claire and Winona; iirc both were
> about half an hour drive, La Crosse was about an hour south.

So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin). Nice!

marc hoffman

Feb 14, 2006, 1:37:37 PM2/14/06
Crazy,

> So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
> Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin). Nice!

to quote Bones: "i don't know what that means" ;)

John Jacobson

Feb 14, 2006, 1:59:56 PM2/14/06
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother <HelpFreeLeonardPeltier...WriteTo:
in...@bop.gov and ask them what's up> wrote in message <43f2013c$1
@newsgroups.borland.com>

> So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
> Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin).

I doubt too many non-Americans would really know too much about those two,
especially the second one.

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader Preview 0.9.4.2059

Zior Kiljar

Feb 14, 2006, 2:32:59 PM2/14/06
John Jacobson wrote:
> Crazy Horse's crazier little brother <HelpFreeLeonardPeltier...WriteTo:
> in...@bop.gov and ask them what's up> wrote in message <43f2013c$1
> @newsgroups.borland.com>
>
>>So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
>>Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin).
>

> I doubt too many non-Americans would really know too much about those two,
> especially the second one.

Actually "La petite maison dans la prairie" was pretty popular in France
and many people still remember Laura Ingalls...

Ramona van Riet

Feb 14, 2006, 1:42:02 PM2/14/06
At 19:59:56, 14.02.2006, John Jacobson wrote:

> Crazy Horse's crazier little brother <HelpFreeLeonardPeltier...WriteTo:
> in...@bop.gov and ask them what's up> wrote in message <43f2013c$1
> @newsgroups.borland.com>
> > So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
> > Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin).
>

> I doubt too many non-Americans would really know too much about those
> two, especially the second one.

It was very popular here, when I was much younger.
--
Ramona

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 14, 2006, 3:14:15 PM2/14/06

> Crazy,
>
>> So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
>> Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin). Nice!
>
> to quote Bones: "i don't know what that means" ;)

Which part of it did you not understand?

Bones? You mean Sonny? Cher? Chastity? Sawbones...?

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 14, 2006, 3:15:37 PM2/14/06
"John Jacobson" <jake@j[nospam]snewsreader.com> wrote in message

> I doubt too many non-Americans would really know too much about those two,
> especially the second one.

John Muir should be known to all. Not knowing who John Muir was is like not
knowing who Abraham Lincoln was.

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 14, 2006, 3:18:23 PM2/14/06
"Zior Kiljar" <z...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> Actually "La petite maison dans la prairie" was pretty popular in France
> and many people still remember Laura Ingalls...

The book or the tv show, or both? I know the barber (hairdresser?) from the
show. It was filmed in the county in California (Tuolumne) in which my wife
grew up (not far from "John Muir's" Yosemite, actually).

Anders Isaksson

Feb 15, 2006, 1:33:20 AM2/15/06
John Jacobson wrote:

> Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

> > So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and
> > Laura Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin).
>
> I doubt too many non-Americans would really know too much about those
> two, especially the second one.

Don't know about others, but I read all the Laura Ingalls-Wilder books
as a child, and I have read Wood and Prairie to my children. They were
translated to Swedish, so I don't think I was the only one.

John Muir, on the other hand, I haven't the faintest idea...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Anders Isaksson

Feb 15, 2006, 1:36:32 AM2/15/06
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother wrote:

> John Muir should be known to all. Not knowing who John Muir was is
> like not knowing who Abraham Lincoln was.

Well, I didn't know about him (John Muir) until I googled, but Abe
Lincoln was of course mentioned in the history books at school.

Or were you perhaps only talking to USA-ians?

Mike Orriss

Feb 15, 2006, 2:43:30 AM2/15/06
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother wrote:

> John Muir should be known to all. Not knowing who John Muir was is
> like not knowing who Abraham Lincoln was.

Should we? Never heard of him.

Laura Ingalls though - heard of her - my kids grew up watching Little
House on the Prairie.

--

Mike Orriss

Oliver Townshend

Feb 15, 2006, 3:58:29 AM2/15/06
>> John Muir should be known to all. Not knowing who John Muir was is
>> like not knowing who Abraham Lincoln was.
>
> Should we? Never heard of him.

He founded the Sierra club apparently. Not that I know what that is:

http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/

Oliver Townshend

marc hoffman

Feb 15, 2006, 5:01:36 AM2/15/06
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother,

>>> So you were near the old stomping grounds of both John Muir and Laura
>>> Ingalls ("Little House in the Woods" was near Pepin). Nice!
>> to quote Bones: "i don't know what that means" ;)

> Which part of it did you not understand?
>
> Bones? You mean Sonny? Cher? Chastity? Sawbones...?

the character from the same-named TV show. And it basically means i'm
not familiar with the book/show you referred to. Jokes are no fun when
you have to explain em, are they ;)

I.P. Nichols

Feb 15, 2006, 10:49:14 AM2/15/06

"Mike Orriss" <m...@3kcc.co.uk> wrote in message

> Crazy Horse's crazier little brother wrote:
>
>> John Muir should be known to all. Not knowing who John Muir was is
>> like not knowing who Abraham Lincoln was.
>
> Should we? Never heard of him.

John Muir (1838-1914) was America's most famous and influential naturalist
and conservationist. He is one of California's most important historical
personalities. He has been called "The Father of our National Parks,"
"Wilderness Prophet," and "Citizen of the Universe." He once described
himself more humorously, and perhaps most accurately, as, a
"poetico-trampo-geologist-botanist and ornithologist-naturalist etc. etc.
!!!!" As a wilderness explorer, he is renowned for his exciting adventures
in California's Sierra Nevada, among Alaska's glaciers, and world wide
travels in search of nature's beauty. As a writer, he taught the people of
his time and ours the importance of experiencing and protecting our natural
heritage. His writings contributed greatly to the creation of Yosemite,
Sequoia, Mount Rainier, Petrified Forest, and Grand Canyon National Parks.

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 15, 2006, 10:05:57 AM2/15/06

> the character from the same-named TV show. And it basically means i'm not
> familiar with the book/show you referred to. Jokes are no fun when you
> have to explain em, are they ;)

I never heard of a tv show named Bones. Then again, with the exception of
Packers and occasional Bucks games, I don't watch tv.

Was it Chuck Chaplin who said "Television is very educational; whenever
somebody turns it on, I go in the other room and read a book."?

info@bop.govandaskthemwhat'sup Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Feb 15, 2006, 10:07:16 AM2/15/06
"Anders Isaksson" <i.rather@not> wrote in message

> Well, I didn't know about him (John Muir) until I googled, but Abe
> Lincoln was of course mentioned in the history books at school.
>
> Or were you perhaps only talking to USA-ians?

No, to everyone.

Muir was a better person than probably every U.S. President, with the
possible exception of Lincoln.

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Feb 15, 2006, 9:03:56 AM2/15/06
Guys, take this to .off-topic, please.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

thomas...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2013, 9:53:07 AM2/17/13
I have one more options if Looking for a Los Angeles getaway? You can go through this to find a best deal sequoiaresort.com