D2005 Update 3, a dream or reality?

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 11:08:28 AM4/25/05
I think it's a vague dream..

-Atle

Uffe Kousgaard

Apr 25, 2005, 11:26:14 AM4/25/05
Dream or reality?

Reality show :-)

"Atle Smelvær" <zin...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote in message
news:426d...@newsgroups.borland.com...

OBones

Apr 25, 2005, 11:42:03 AM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:

> I think it's a vague dream..

You think what you want, I believe in facts.
What? There are no facts about Update 3? Well, AFAIK, yeah, you are
right. But that's today, who knows what will come tomorrow ;-)

Does anyone know better than that? And can tell about it?

keguira

Apr 25, 2005, 11:54:58 AM4/25/05
well...The second update is always a dream for non US users so the third ...

RENAUDIE Guillaume

BH-TECHNOLOGIES

01.41.19.45.00
poste 123
"Atle Smelvær" <zin...@sdf.lonestar.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
426d...@newsgroups.borland.com...

Jim Cooper

Apr 25, 2005, 12:12:24 PM4/25/05

> Does anyone know better than that?

I'm sure people at Borland know, and should such a thing exist, possibly
outside people beta testing it.

> And can tell about it?

Aye, there's the rub :-)

As has been said here before, Borland NDAs preclude people even saying
whether they're under NDA :-)

Blatant trolling (if that's not too strong a word) for a response from
Borland like Atle did has never worked yet.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper jco...@tabdee.ltd.uk
Tabdee Ltd http://www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Leonel

Apr 25, 2005, 12:21:21 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:

> I think it's a vague dream..

There's a live chat with Dale in a few minutes, and one of the topics
is quality. You might want to ask him.

--
Leonel

Kevin Berry

Apr 25, 2005, 12:30:17 PM4/25/05
keguira wrote:
> well...The second update is always a dream for non US users so the third ...

WARNING: wild theory to follow...

I would say that until the international second update comes there _MAY_
actually be more chance of a US+international third. Why?! Because
they may actually have decided to _NOT_ do the translation of Update 2
if Update 3 is very near to being released. OK, that may make some
international users unhappy but it would save the translation costs
(assuming translation is handled by a third party company which I
believe it is). And in the end everyone will be happier if there is an
Update 3 available...

OK, I know that is a _WILD_ theory but let's see what actually occurs.
It's probably just that the translation is taking time. I'm more sure
that Borland will bring out an international update 2 than an update 3
quite honestly...

In any case, Delphi 2005 Pro + Update #2 + JED's DCM seems pretty stable
to me. Granted, I haven't done that much with it, but it really doesn't
seem too slow or unstable on my underpowered laptop. But then again...
I haven't tried installing the JEDI-VCL components. ;-)

Cheers,
Kevin.

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 12:41:21 PM4/25/05
Link?

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 12:45:08 PM4/25/05
I need a chat key...

-Atle

Leonel

Apr 25, 2005, 12:42:27 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:

> Link?

http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33047,00.html

It's just starting.

--
Leonel

Leonel

Apr 25, 2005, 12:53:57 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:

> I need a chat key...

http://bdntv.borland.com/chat.html

It's "livechat"

--
Leonel

Leonel

Apr 25, 2005, 12:55:23 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:

> I need a chat key...

He just talked about this. Aparently a new update is coming.

--
Leonel

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Apr 25, 2005, 12:55:54 PM4/25/05
Leonel wrote:

> There's a live chat with Dale in a few minutes, and one of the topics
> is quality. You might want to ask him.

Dale just said in fairly non-committal terms that he thinks a third
update will be necessary.

-Craig

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

Craig Stuntz [TeamB]

Apr 25, 2005, 1:15:00 PM4/25/05
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

> Leonel wrote:
>
> > There's a live chat with Dale in a few minutes, and one of the
> > topics is quality. You might want to ask him.
>
> Dale just said in fairly non-committal terms that he thinks a third
> update will be necessary.

DavidI just said there's one coming.

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz

IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from http://mers.com

Nick Hodges [TeamB]

Apr 25, 2005, 1:23:10 PM4/25/05
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] wrote:

> Dale just said in fairly non-committal terms that he thinks a third
> update will be necessary.

And David I just said there /will/ be a third update.

--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- http://www.lemanix.com

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 1:36:50 PM4/25/05
Nice. Now I know that they are going to release an update 3 with dramatic
speed improvements.

That is some really good news :)

-Atle

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 2:00:18 PM4/25/05
And Dale said that there's going to be one. Not that he thinks there is
going to be one.

So yes, update 3 is a reality. But the question now is when...

-Atle

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 2:02:14 PM4/25/05
Yes, I know. I was the one asking him (nick: Zinvob on the chat).

-Atle

Ingvar Nilsen

Apr 25, 2005, 3:32:19 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:

> So yes, update 3 is a reality. But the question now is when...

That was the question.
Here is the answer:

"When it is ready!"

--
Ingvar Nilsen
http://www.ingvarius.com

Dale Williams

Apr 25, 2005, 2:52:23 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvær wrote:
> I think it's a vague dream..
>
> -Atle

I know that I'm probably in the minority but since I've installed update
2, I've had very few problems.

I work in the with .NET environment mainly. I tried converting a D8
application using both D2005 and D2005 with update 1 and both times had
to stop because of the many problems. Since update 2, I'm able to
actually use D2005. I'm also using it for new development work.

Like I said above, I'm probably in the minority and I'll never like a
gift-horse(upgrade) in the mouth.

Now if they would only do SOMETHING and fix their stock price, I'd be
real happy.<G>

Dale Williams, User & Investory

Atle Smelvær

Apr 25, 2005, 3:32:33 PM4/25/05
No, the answer is 42..

Bruce McGee

Apr 25, 2005, 4:01:02 PM4/25/05
Dale Williams wrote:

> I know that I'm probably in the minority but since I've installed
> update 2, I've had very few problems.

[...]

I think you're probably in the majority.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

Apr 25, 2005, 6:49:27 PM4/25/05
At 17:08:28, 25.04.2005, Atle Smelvær wrote:

> I think it's a vague dream..
>
> -Atle

AFAIK; there is hope. It seems it was mentioned on BDNtv as a possibility.

--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Kristofer Skaug

Apr 25, 2005, 6:56:14 PM4/25/05
Dale Williams wrote:
> I know that I'm probably in the minority but since I've installed
> update 2, I've had very few problems.

Shuddupshuddupshuddup....!!!!
<g>

--
Kristofer

David Farrell-Garcia

Apr 25, 2005, 7:56:43 PM4/25/05
Atle Smelvfr wrote:

> I think it's a vague dream..

Not at all. Did you listen to the Borland Radion talk this morning?
Dale Fuller indicated that there will be an update 3 and that it is
already in the works and that their testing shows marked improvement in
the IDE performance.

Dale also said some regrettable mistakes were made in deploying D2005
when they did and conceded to an occasional loss of focus on the
developer. He also clearly restated Borland's commitment to the
developer. I, personally, would like to thank Dale, David I, John K
and Anders for presenting a candid State of the Union that made me feel
comfortable.

--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Posted with XanaNews 1.17.3.1

David Farrell-Garcia

Apr 25, 2005, 8:00:06 PM4/25/05
OBones wrote:

> Does anyone know better than that? And can tell about it?

Yes, see my post in this thread about Dale Fulle'rs talk on Borland
Radio this morning. This was addressed directly.

David Farrell-Garcia

Apr 25, 2005, 8:01:31 PM4/25/05
Kevin Berry wrote:

> OK, I know that is a WILD theory

Actually I think your theroy is quite likely.

Robin

Apr 25, 2005, 8:37:23 PM4/25/05
Kevin Berry wrote:
> keguira wrote:
>
>> well...The second update is always a dream for non US users so the
>> third ...

I believe there will be a update 3 and that you are spot on with this
assessment.

--
Robin.
<disclaimer> Not an expert </disclaimer>

John E. Wilfong

Apr 25, 2005, 8:31:05 PM4/25/05
David Farrell-Garcia wrote:

> Not at all. Did you listen to the Borland Radion talk this morning?

Is this recorded? link?

Thanks

--
-john

Kyle A. Miller

Apr 25, 2005, 10:54:18 PM4/25/05
Dale Williams wrote:
> I know that I'm probably in the minority but since I've installed update
> 2, I've had very few problems.

I work in Win32 mostly by day and .NET by night. The .NET side of things
does feel more mature (Delphi 8 kicked things off. Duh!). Win32
integration into the new IDE has been a very rough ride. That's really
sad because Win32 support is the front door for many people to the other
things D2005 can do.

Will DeWitt Jr.

Apr 26, 2005, 1:00:05 AM4/26/05
Bruce McGee wrote in <xn0e1fbc6...@newsgroups.borland.com>:

> I think you're probably in the majority.

I don't think so.

Will

--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--

http://qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=7324

Guillem

Apr 26, 2005, 5:39:31 AM4/26/05
Same as me. Update 2 rocks for me, but if there is going to be an Update 3,
then it will be welcome :)
--
Best regards :)

Guillem Vicens
Dep. informática Green Service SA
www.clubgreenoasis.com

"Dale Williams" <dwil...@yf.com> escribió en el mensaje

David Farrell-Garcia

Apr 26, 2005, 9:47:16 AM4/26/05
John E. Wilfong wrote:

> Is this recorded? link?
>
> Thanks

This was the original link to the live chat. I don't know if it is
archived yet.

http://ec.borland.com/eventDisplay.faces?e=510

--
David Farrell-Garcia
Whidbey Island Software LLC

Posted with XanaNews 1.17.4.1

Nick Hodges [TeamB]

Apr 26, 2005, 10:31:14 AM4/26/05
John E. Wilfong wrote:

> Is this recorded? link?

It was recorded, and should be available on the link David provided in
a week or so.

John E. Wilfong

Apr 26, 2005, 11:22:48 AM4/26/05
Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote:

> John E. Wilfong wrote:
>
> > Is this recorded? link?
>
> It was recorded, and should be available on the link David provided in
> a week or so.

Thanks David and Nick. I will keep an eye out.

--
-john

John Kaster (Borland)

Apr 26, 2005, 3:55:22 PM4/26/05
Atle Smelvfr wrote:

> I think it's a vague dream..

Reality.

Update 3 will be available soon.

--
John Kaster http://blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: http://qc.borland.com

Rick Carter

Apr 26, 2005, 6:33:34 PM4/26/05

John Kaster wrote:
>Reality.
>Update 3 will be available soon.

Well, that's good news! But it begs at least two questions:

(1) How soon will foreign language updates follow?

(2) Will Update 3 do anything to address the "diasppearing IDE" problem?
Or has Borland not been able to replicate the problem and identify the
cause(es)?

I have not experienced the "disappearing IDE" myself, but I can only
imagine how frustrating it must be to those affected by it.

Rick Carter
cart...@despammed.com

--- posted by geoForum on http://delphi.newswhat.com

David Smith

Apr 26, 2005, 5:53:15 PM4/26/05
Rick Carter wrote:

> (2) Will Update 3 do anything to address the "diasppearing IDE" problem?
> Or has Borland not been able to replicate the problem and identify the
> cause(es)?

At some point they said something that they were able to track down one
hard-to-replicate bug, so there's hope that one bad bug gets fixed. I'm
not sure if it meant the IDE bug, though.

> I have not experienced the "disappearing IDE" myself, but I can only
> imagine how frustrating it must be to those affected by it.

Yes, I can too. But the slowness in switching between code and form that
some people have been experiencing can also have the same effect ; one
doesn't want to use D2005, they'll go back to D7.

Hopefully these things are addressed.

--
David S.
Delphi programming : http://www.borland.com/delphi/

Lord Crc

Apr 26, 2005, 6:06:41 PM4/26/05
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:33:34 +0100, "Rick Carter"
<cart...@despammed.com> wrote:

>Well, that's good news! But it begs at least two questions:
>
>(1) How soon will foreign language updates follow?

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided a sp3 some time ago, and
halted work on the localized sp2 versions. I mean, given the
timeframe, if sp3 is out within a month or so, it makes no sense to do
the sp2's THEN the sp3's.

- Asbjørn

Paul Dolen

Apr 26, 2005, 7:22:52 PM4/26/05
>Reality.
>
>Update 3 will be available soon.

And the crowd cheers! And dancing in the streets commenced!

John Kaster (Borland)

Apr 26, 2005, 7:30:11 PM4/26/05
Rick Carter wrote:

> Well, that's good news! But it begs at least two questions:

Both of those will have to wait until the release, unfortunately. We
are definitely aware of the issue of localized release lag time. We
will outline the specific areas addressed in this update.

Brian

Apr 26, 2005, 8:30:46 PM4/26/05
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Atle Smelvfr wrote:
>
> > I think it's a vague dream..
>
> Reality.
>
> Update 3 will be available soon.

John,
You have no idea how good it is to read that. I really was on the verge
of just totally giving up on D2005EE as the IDE lag was becoming so
much of a distraction it was intefering with the complete development
process. Such is the Delphi-VCL-Pascal-.Net-C# enviroment so fantastic
that I have persevered this long.

I, like a few hundred others around here, am now waiting with great
anticipation..

I am assuming the IDE lag has gone, of course.. ;-)

Captain Jake

Apr 26, 2005, 11:57:17 PM4/26/05
"John Kaster (Borland)" <jo...@borland.com> wrote in message
<426e9caa$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Update 3 will be available soon.

Without a list of what it fixes, it is hard to know if I should rejoice in
this news or just yawn. I use D2005 only for Win32 development, and once I
took out Together and the other pieces I don't need, and applied the second
patch, it became rock solid for me. Will update #3 fix the issues with
Together so I can re-enable it and get those syntax-highlighting squiggly red
lines back?

--
***Free Your Mind***

Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.547

John Kaster (Borland)

Apr 27, 2005, 2:02:47 AM4/27/05
Captain Jake wrote:

> Without a list of what it fixes, it is hard to know if I should
> rejoice in this news or just yawn.

You could always alternate back and forth until we provide more details.

John Kaster (Borland)

Apr 27, 2005, 2:05:13 AM4/27/05
Brian wrote:

> I am assuming the IDE lag has gone, of course.. ;-)

This update is a performance improvement update. I don't know what "IDE
lag" you're specifically talking about here, but performance has been
significantly improved in several key areas for this update, including
modelling, and switching from the code editor to the designer.

Brian

Apr 27, 2005, 3:20:24 AM4/27/05
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > I am assuming the IDE lag has gone, of course.. ;-)
>
> This update is a performance improvement update. I don't know what
> "IDE lag" you're specifically talking about here, but performance has
> been significantly improved in several key areas for this update,
> including modelling, and switching from the code editor to the
> designer.

"The Lag" is indeed the code<-->designer switching.
OH HAPPY DAYS !!! {fx: sound of gospel singing} :-))))))

Joe Bain

Apr 27, 2005, 9:32:33 AM4/27/05
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Atle Smelvfr wrote:
>
> > I think it's a vague dream..
>
> Reality.
>
> Update 3 will be available soon.

Any news on when the rest of the fixes in SP2 will get pushed into QC?

Leonel

Apr 27, 2005, 9:39:23 AM4/27/05
Captain Jake wrote:

> Will update #3 fix the issues with
> Together so I can re-enable it and get those syntax-highlighting
> squiggly red lines back?

Error insight is not related to together at all.

--
Leonel

Rick Carter

Apr 27, 2005, 11:38:59 AM4/27/05

John Kaster wrote:
>You could always alternate back and forth until we provide more details.

John, is it wise to encourage manic-depressive behavior? :)

Wayne Niddery [TeamB]

Apr 27, 2005, 11:30:44 AM4/27/05
Captain Jake wrote:

> Without a list of what it fixes, it is hard to know if I should
> rejoice in this news or just yawn.

Rejoice until you get tired. <g>

RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks.html
In a tornado, even turkeys can fly. - unknown

Kevin Berry

Apr 27, 2005, 12:49:42 PM4/27/05

I use Delphi for Win32 stuff only (using JED's DCM) and it has been very
stable after Update #2. JED's DCM utility brought it up to reasonable
performance level too (I'm guessing that has to do with the memory usage
more than anything else though). I've only got 256MB of RAM on my
laptop too so memory is a constraint esp. since it is running XP.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Bruce McGee

Apr 27, 2005, 1:56:02 PM4/27/05
Will DeWitt Jr. wrote:

> Bruce McGee wrote in <xn0e1fbc6...@newsgroups.borland.com>:
>
> > I think you're probably in the majority.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> Will

From personal experience doing production development in Delphi 2005
(all patches) on 4 separate machines with different specs and operating
systems, I am also seeing very few problems and certainly no show
stoppers. I’m seeing even fewer problems with the second patch, and
I'm expecting better performance with the third one. I think the
majority of people who are actually using Delphi 2005 are in the same
boat.

It clearly hasn't been perfect (startup times!), but I'm finding it
very productive. I have no interest in being a martyr. If I found
Delphi 2005 to be unusable or unproductive, I'd be yelling about it.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind seeing a poll on this. Preferably something
with meaningful questions and controlled to prevent anyone from
accidentally voting more than once.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

John Kaster (Borland)

Apr 27, 2005, 7:30:18 PM4/27/05
Rick Carter wrote:

> John, is it wise to encourage manic-depressive behavior? :)

In general, no.

In specific? Well ... :D

John Kaster (Borland)

Apr 27, 2005, 7:31:09 PM4/27/05
Joe Bain wrote:

> Any news on when the rest of the fixes in SP2 will get pushed into QC?

Have to check on some things with Rob Schieck (for mechanics) and some
others. Not all the internal reports have been cleaned up yet, and
that's what is delaying my pushing them.

Captain Jake

Apr 27, 2005, 8:27:35 PM4/27/05
Leonel <togniolli.@.techtips.com.br> wrote in message
<426f960b$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> Error insight is not related to together at all.

Is it just active in the .NET code editor then? I wonder why I don't see it.

Leonel

Apr 27, 2005, 8:35:38 PM4/27/05
Captain Jake wrote:

> Is it just active in the .NET code editor then? I wonder why I don't
> see it.

Together is the "Model View", the UML designer. Go to the model view,
double click on your project to open a nice reverse-engineered UML
diagram of all the classes in your project.

You can create simple UML diagrams too (without getting any code
generated, though). Architech users use together to design their
classes, classes that get generated into Delphi or C# code for use in
ECO applications.

--
Leonel

Captain Jake

Apr 27, 2005, 8:50:33 PM4/27/05
Rick Carter <cart...@despammed.com> wrote in message
<426fa310$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> is it wise to encourage manic-depressive behavior?

Well...yes and no. <g>

Leonel

Apr 27, 2005, 8:56:17 PM4/27/05
Captain Jake wrote:

> I meant the Error Insight.

Oh, then I'm not sure why you don't see it. I know its parser is
depends on .Net, as refactoring, and you won't see if you stripped out
the .net bits.

It definatelly works on W32, though, since I see it.

--
Leonel

Captain Jake

Apr 27, 2005, 8:48:57 PM4/27/05
Leonel <togniolli.@.techtips.com.br> wrote in message
<42702fda$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> > Is it just active in the .NET code editor then? I wonder why I don't
> > see it.
>
> Together is the "Model View", the UML designer.

I meant the Error Insight.

Joe Bain

Apr 28, 2005, 9:21:46 AM4/28/05
John Kaster (Borland) wrote:

> Joe Bain wrote:
>
> > Any news on when the rest of the fixes in SP2 will get pushed into
> > QC?
>
> Have to check on some things with Rob Schieck (for mechanics) and some
> others. Not all the internal reports have been cleaned up yet, and
> that's what is delaying my pushing them.

Thanks for the update.

Bill Mogk

Apr 28, 2005, 12:12:25 PM4/28/05
Captain Jake wrote:
> Leonel <togniolli.@.techtips.com.br> wrote in message
> <42702fda$1...@newsgroups.borland.com>
>
>>>Is it just active in the .NET code editor then? I wonder why I don't
>>>see it.
>>
>>Together is the "Model View", the UML designer.
>

> I meant the Error Insight.

John,

If you are using JED's configuration manager, you have to have the
delphidotnetide90.bpl included in the configuration, if you want Error
Insight.

Bill

Atle Smelvær

Apr 28, 2005, 6:12:05 PM4/28/05
Well, when performance is good, I will be using D2005 also. But before that,
I would destroy to many keyboards by keeping up with the current 2005
version (I'm not the type of guy who accept having to wait when writing
code).

-Atle

Bruce McGee

Apr 28, 2005, 7:07:09 PM4/28/05
Atle Smelvfr wrote:

Neither am I.

Captain Jake

Apr 28, 2005, 10:10:50 PM4/28/05
Bill Mogk <wm...@whmsoftware.com> wrote in message
<4271...@newsgroups.borland.com>

> If you are using JED's configuration manager, you have to have the
> delphidotnetide90.bpl included in the configuration, if you want Error
> Insight.

Ah! That's the ticket!