Potential causes for BDE "Cannot edit path"?

Ernest Brackett

Jan 9, 2001, 8:40:35 PM1/9/01

What are the potential causes for the error "Cannot edit path" when
configuring the BDE path from the BDE Administrator?

Thanks,
Ernie B.

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Jan 9, 2001, 9:13:40 PM1/9/01
There is no way to set the path to the BDE with BDE Administrator. The BDE
path is stored in the registry. Can you provide a more detailed description
of the problem you are having?

--
Bill

Luke Johnston

Jan 9, 2001, 11:29:28 PM1/9/01
Ernie,
If you double click on a database alias in BDE this 'opens' the alias ( A
green box will be next to the alias name). This means that you cannot edit
any of the path default driver etc. Just double click the alias name again
and the green box will disappear. You can now edit the properties.

Hope this helps

Luke Johston

Ernest Brackett <ebs...@gis.net> wrote in message

Luke Johnston

Jan 9, 2001, 11:33:37 PM1/9/01
Sorry Ernie,
Instead of double clicking on the alias name to get the green box to
disapper, single click on the alias name, and then click on the icon of the
yellow folder at the top that appears to be depressed. This should now allow
you to edit.

Luke Johnston.

Luke Johnston <john...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ernie,
> If you double click on a database alias in BDE this 'opens' the alias

Ernest Brackett

Jan 10, 2001, 5:41:00 AM1/10/01
Sorry. I meant when you are trying to configure the ALIAS path from the BDE
Administrator.

I can reproduce the error 2 ways.

1.If I double click the ALIAS, it makes all possible items bold however it
is still possible to change the path of the alias.If you try to change the
path to the alias you'll get the "Cannot edit path.
2.If the application is running and you try to edit the ALIAS path you'll
get the same error as above.

Any other ways to get the "Cannot edit path" error?

Bill Todd (TeamB) <bi...@nospamdbginc.com> wrote in message

Paul Ferrara

Jan 10, 2001, 2:09:42 PM1/10/01
My experience has been that it happens when there's a file within that alias
that's open.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Jan 10, 2001, 3:12:15 PM1/10/01
The problem is that you cannot change the alias path when the database is
open. Double clicking the alias in the BDE Administrator opens the alias.
Double click again to close it. With the application closed and the alias
closed you should be able to change the path.

--
Bill

aan...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2013, 8:48:35 PM1/22/13
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Three hours on the phone with the software company telling me I had serious file problems because we couldn't edit the config file. Your fix was perfect, and immediately solved the problem.

I can't thank you enough. My customer thinks I'm a genius, and so does the software 2cnd level tech support guy.

Thanks for sharing.