Debug Shell Namespace Extensions in D6

Paolo Rainone

Nov 9, 2001, 6:47:32 AM11/9/01

i'm writing a windows shell namespace extension with Delphi 6, but I've got serious problems debugging it.

In order to debug my little creation, i've taken these actions:

1)In the debugger opetions i've enabled the "Enabled COM-process support" option;

2) in the Explorer options i've checkedthe "launch folder windows in spearate process"; (i've tried unchecking it too...)

3) in the project options, i've enabled all debug options in both Copiler and Linker tabs (and yes, i've disabled optimizations and enabled stack-frames);

4) in the RUN parameters, i've speciefied the host application as "c:\winNT\explorer.exe"

5) finally i've dropped some breakpoints all over my code...

What's wrong?
Cheers,
Paolo.

Jason Southwell

Nov 9, 2001, 11:11:54 AM11/9/01
I have a couple problems debugging namespace extensions as well, however
from the sound of it, I've gotten much further than you. What exact
problems are you having?

Jason Southwell

"Paolo Rainone" <rai...@programmazione.it> wrote in message

Paolo Rainone

Nov 9, 2001, 12:32:44 PM11/9/01

Running the project, explorer.exe starts; then I select my namespace extension in the explorer tree. This step triggers the delphi debugger, but no breakpoint si called.

Paolo.

AHA lee

Nov 11, 2001, 10:38:13 PM11/11/01
here is the step of how to debuging with the shell,i wish this can help you:

To debug your extension, you need to execute the Shell from the debugger.
Follow these steps:

1.. Load the extension's project into the debugger, but do not run it.
2.. From the Start menu on the Microsoft? Windows? taskbar, choose Shut
Down.
3.. Press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT, and click No in the Shut Down Windows dialog
box. On Windows 2000, click Cancel instead of No. The Shell is now shut
down, but all other applications are still running, including the debugger.
4.. Set the debugger to run the extension DLL with Explorer.exe from the
Windows directory.
5.. Run the project from the debugger. The Shell will start up as usual,
but the debugger will be attached to the Shell's process.
or

there a demo program named "virtuallistview" in the borland directory, so
you can debug your shell namespace extension by this program.

ps:
in the funciton BindToObject(pidl: PItemIDList; pbcReserved: Pointer;
const riid: TIID; out ppvOut): HResult; stdcall;
how can set the value of ppvOut.

thx.

"Paolo Rainone" <rai...@programmazione.it> wrote in message

Borland.Delphi

Nov 14, 2001, 7:20:45 AM11/14/01
You need to stop the shell before starting debugging.
Once delphi is started, stop the shell - and start your program (with the
run parameters you have specified in your message).
You will see that the debugger stop on break points normally.

- to stop the shell:
Start - Shut down - and click Cancel with the Alt + Ctrl + Shift key down.

Jacques Garcia Vazquez