app questions - audio options 22050 hz only?

pillo...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2013, 9:48:25 AM8/22/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
hello,
really like this app! can't wait for the update!

i recorded a track and after export/dl from soundcloud it is 22050 hz but 32 bit float...
Is there any way to change/choose the soundquality option or is this due to limitations of the ipad/soundcloud?

thanks rené

modulationindex

Aug 25, 2013, 10:58:14 PM8/25/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
hey rené (and hello borderlands message board...long time! my apologies!)

thanks for your kind message!  good catch on the 22050 sample rate - it is indeed fixed in version 1, primarily due to the limitations of performance on the lower models of the ipad. i realize that this sample rate is not ideal and am planning to include a switch (44.1 and 22.05 at least. maybe also 48k) in the new version.

i am very excited to get the update in the store - it's been a very long process due to the intensity of my primary work commitments, but i can assure you that i am making good progress and have not abandoned the project.

here are a few of the features that i have in place already and will be fine tuning in the coming weeks before getting the update in the store:
  • audiobus - finally, stream audio out of borderlands to audiobus.
  • scene saving and loading - store and recall collections of grain clouds and sounds. easily copy the configuration file and stored sounds between ipads using file sharing
  • independent resonant filters on each grain cloud (including LPF, HPF, Bandpass, Boost/Cut). also - an option to randomize the cutoff frequency of the filter each time a grain fires.
  • tempo synced grains - turn on tempo sync for a grain cloud and each successive grain will fire "on the grid" governed by a master BPM. - sync is switchable between 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/8T, etc...
  • duplicate clouds by opening a cloud for editing and double tapping outside create a new cloud.
  • limiter on output to help reduce clipping

here are some commonly requested tweaks that are done and will be included with the new update:
  • screen rotation is no longer fixed. both landscape orientations are supported (rotation can be locked using the lock switch on the ipad)
  • file sharing now works
  • fine tuning of parameters via iTunes-playhead-style distance scrubbing
  • logarithmic instead of linear volume changes for grains sampling along y dimension of rectangle
  • exponential decay window has been softened slightly for less of a pop

bugfixes -

  • several causes of crashes when loading files into borderlands have been found and fixed. in general, audio loading is MUCH more stable in version 2. handling of the memory limitations has been improved to allow for more audio to be loaded. safeguards against hitting the RAM limits have been greatly improved to respond only when needed and prevent crashes.

...and features on which i am still working, but plan to include in V2 barring any unforeseen complications.
  • integration of audioshare SDK for easy input from other apps, audiobus, external mic, etc.
  • delete sound files and load new sounds while the app is open
  • resample / load sounds from the "recordings" menu into the synthesis area
  • settings menu with sample rate, buffer size, various other options
anyway, that's the update for now. hope you and everybody following this list are doing well!  thank you all for your continued support and for your patience as i get closer to releasing version 2.

best wishes!
chris

Neil Wiernik

Aug 25, 2013, 11:07:44 PM8/25/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Wow really looking forward to this!!! Thanks for all of this Chris!!!

drlids

Aug 26, 2013, 11:39:02 PM8/26/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm really enjoying Borderlands on OS X. Just wondering if you have any plans to update that version, as well as the iPad version.

Thanks.

Michael

AbstractCats George

Aug 28, 2013, 2:51:06 PM8/28/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris :) Sounds great! I'd be more than happy to do Windows beta testing.
Please feel free, to contact me here at mail, or scottAbstractcats on facebook.

Looking forward, to the next update. Thanks, Scott

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:58:14 PM UTC-5, modulationindex wrote:
> hey rené (and hello borderlands message board...long time! my apologies!)
>

> thanks for your kind message!  good catch on the 22050 sample rate - it is indeed fixed in version 1, primarily due to the limitations of performance on the lower models of the ipad. i realize that this sample rate is not ideal and am planning to include a switch (44.1 and 22.05 at least. maybe also 48k) in the new version.
>

> i am very excited to get the update in the store - it's been a very long process due to the intensity of my primary work commitments, but i can assure you that i am making good progress and have not abandoned the project.
>

> here are a few of the features that i have in place already and will be fine tuning in the coming weeks before getting the update in the store:
> audiobus - finally, stream audio out of borderlands to audiobus. scene saving and loading - store and recall collections of grain clouds and sounds. easily copy the configuration file and stored sounds between ipads using file sharingindependent resonant filters on each grain cloud (including LPF, HPF, Bandpass, Boost/Cut). also - an option to randomize the cutoff frequency of the filter each time a grain fires.tempo synced grains - turn on tempo sync for a grain cloud and each successive grain will fire "on the grid" governed by a master BPM. - sync is switchable between 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/8T, etc...duplicate clouds by opening a cloud for editing and double tapping outside create a new cloud.limiter on output to help reduce clipping
>

> here are some commonly requested tweaks that are done and will be included with the new update:
> screen rotation is no longer fixed. both landscape orientations are supported (rotation can be locked using the lock switch on the ipad)file sharing now worksfine tuning of parameters via iTunes-playhead-style distance scrubbinglogarithmic instead of linear volume changes for grains sampling along y dimension of rectangleexponential decay window has been softened slightly for less of a pop
>

> bugfixes -
>

> several causes of crashes when loading files into borderlands have been found and fixed. in general, audio loading is MUCH more stable in version 2. handling of the memory limitations has been improved to allow for more audio to be loaded. safeguards against hitting the RAM limits have been greatly improved to respond only when needed and prevent crashes.
>

> ...and features on which i am still working, but plan to include in V2 barring any unforeseen complications.
> integration of audioshare SDK for easy input from other apps, audiobus, external mic, etc. delete sound files and load new sounds while the app is openresample / load sounds from the "recordings" menu into the synthesis areasettings menu with sample rate, buffer size, various other options

ly.r...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2013, 8:17:53 AM10/2/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

How do you manage to install Borderlands on OS X, I was not able to do this on 10.6.8 ?
Terminal doesn't recognize "make" function on my mac even with Xcode install on it.

Thanks
Romain

drlids

Oct 3, 2013, 12:15:43 AM10/3/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com, ly.r...@gmail.com
Hi Romain,

I think I just followed the directions on Chris's website. I don't recall having any issues with building the program from source, even though it was the first time I'd done it.

If Terminal doesn't recognize "make", then I suspect you've got a bigger problem. I don't have enough experience to help you with that, I'm afraid. Hopefully there are some others on this site who can.

Regards,

Michael

modulationindex

Oct 3, 2013, 1:33:06 AM10/3/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com, ly.r...@gmail.com
Hey Romain -

It is possible that when installing XCode, the option to install "developer tools" was left unchecked. You may need to grab the latest version of XCode and reinstall.

If you are getting a message that make cannot be found in Terminal, make is not installed on your system.

Hope this helps (and sorry for the trouble!)

Best,
Chris

modulationindex

Oct 3, 2013, 1:35:44 AM10/3/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com, ly.r...@gmail.com
Hey Michael -

Glad you're enjoying the OSX version!  I don't have plans to update that version in the immediate future (all of my available dev time, of which there is unfortunately very little, is being devoted to finishing up version 2 of the iPad app), but hopefully I will have a chance to make some improvements to it eventually.

Thanks!
Chris

drlids

Oct 4, 2013, 12:09:45 AM10/4/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com, ly.r...@gmail.com
Thanks, Chris. I can appreciate that development of the iPad app must be keeping you quite busy. Perhaps one day I'll get a chance to see how that looks (not being an iPad owner)!

In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying the OSX version, which does a really good job of making granulation musically accessible.

Michael

ly.r...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2013, 1:25:16 AM10/4/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com, ly.r...@gmail.com
Thanks to both of you.
Will try to install again on OSX.

Borderlands is a must have for Ipad owner and Borderlands v2 will be a big step beyond, I just hope it will support my 1st gen Ipad.

Cheers
Romain

shad...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2013, 8:34:45 AM11/16/13
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris—any status report on v2 for iPad?

I'm the executive creative director for West Virginia University, and we'd like to use Borderlands as a central part of our exhibit at the USA Science and Engineering Festival in April of 2014 (one of the largest science festivals in the world).

In particular, what we want to do is use Borderlands to allow visitors to our exhibit to manipulate waveforms of the sounds of pulsars in deep space—I've been working with renowned WVU radio astronomer Maura McLaughlin on the project. Besides just being fun and cool, this could be fantastic exposure for Borderlands, because over 100,000 people will see our exhibit over 3 days! :-)

I tried loading some pulsar audio files last night (on an iPad 2) and it crashed. :-( So we're anxiously awaiting the next release! Any updates are much appreciated. (And I know you're busy, so no worries if it takes a bit.)

Regards,
Scott Wilkinson
Morgantown, WV

Fabio Di Mauro

Dec 17, 2013, 4:48:51 PM12/17/13
Il giorno lunedì 26 agosto 2013 04:58:14 UTC+2, modulationindex ha scritto:
> [...]
> anyway, that's the update for now. hope you and everybody following this list are doing well!  thank you all for your continued support and for your patience as i get closer to releasing version 2.
>

> best wishes!
> chris
>

> On Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:48:25 AM UTC-7, René Margraff wrote:hello,
>
> really like this app! can't wait for the update!
>

> i recorded a track and after export/dl from soundcloud it is 22050 hz but 32 bit float...
>
> Is there any way to change/choose the soundquality option or is this due to limitations of the ipad/soundcloud?

You are the best….are make all I need…..Thanks and make good job :-)