Borderlands and Auria

Eliah Holiday

Apr 6, 2015, 1:17:26 PM4/6/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
I tried to open Borderlands in Auria as an insert, Borderlands opens but the sound engine doesn't activate. This may be an Auria issue, I don't know. Noticed trying to load iSEM crashes sometimes whilst other synths are OK. Borderlands on the other hand doesn't appear to functional as insert.

Eliah Holiday

Apr 9, 2015, 12:46:36 PM4/9/15
On Monday, 6 April 2015 13:17:26 UTC-4, Eliah Holiday wrote:
> I tried to open Borderlands in Auria as an insert, Borderlands opens but the sound engine doesn't activate. This may be an Auria issue, I don't know. Noticed trying to load iSEM crashes sometimes whilst other synths are OK. Borderlands on the other hand doesn't appear to functional as insert.

OK, so discovered in order for Borderlands to load up proper in Auria you have to launch Borderlands first then insert into Auria track.

modulationindex

Apr 9, 2015, 1:42:06 PM4/9/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eliah -

Apologies for the delayed reply and sorry for the trouble. Thanks for sharing the solution as well!

I don't have a copy of Auria, unfortunately, but I'll see if I can track down the issue.

What sample rate are you using for Borderlands? It could be that Borderlands is running at 22050, and Auria expects 44100. You can adjust this value in the settings menu (gear icon) - just make sure you restart the app once you've changed to a different rate. The problem has to do with how iOS handles the system sample rate. Basically, the first app launched gets to set the global rate. The audio engine that Borderlands uses handles sample rate conversion relatively well, but there can be issues with launch order of apps (hence the solution that you found).

Best,
Chris

Eliah Holiday

Apr 10, 2015, 10:16:04 AM4/10/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com

Hi, yep. I made sure that the sample rate was the same (I'm a bit of an audio fidelity nut so Borderlands set to highest always) at 44.1K. I think this is an issue of how some apps launch inside Auria, like you said. For example both Borderlands and iSEM have a brief moment before the app becomes functional once you launch them standalone. So I think in Auria something upsets the full launching of some apps as plugins. Like they never get the chance to load properly.

On a side note, speaking of being an audio fidelity nut, is it possible in a future update to have options to work in a higher sample rate environment? Merely as an option for those who have iPads that can handle it. Like 48K/32bit or maybe even 96K/24bit?