Borderlands update (Audiobus?)

darrenb...@yahoo.com.au

Jul 3, 2014, 6:21:22 AM7/3/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
According to this video (and a reliable source) Borderlands might be inline for another update to include Audiobus support, amongst other things. Is there any meat to this rumour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q_k9Ec77s8

Message has been deleted

modulationindex

Jul 4, 2014, 3:19:45 PM7/4/14
Hey everybody -

Apologies for the long radio silence! This is not an announcement of V2, unfortunately, but it is an update on my progress. Here's where things stand:

First off, development time has been very slow for a couple reasons - the biggest is that my wife and I had our first child back in January (which has been awesome, but also very time and energy consuming...). I also have a full-time day job as a developer for an interactive studio here in Portland, which limits my dev time to any free time I can make on evenings / weekends...

That being said, I making steady progress on the app. I am nearing the end of my version 2 checklist, with just a handful of features and a couple of bugs left to resolve.

I don't have a definite timeline for the release, but I can promise that I am committed to getting a full featured, stable update in your hands as soon as I possibly can. I know that I have said this before...and I have learned to stop projecting potential release dates (free time is just too unpredictable these days). All I can really say at this point is - it will happen. I already have some exciting plans for features post-version 2. Any new features after V2 will be released incrementally rather than in one big update, so there won't be nearly as long of a gap in the future.

So, here's a little insight into what I've accomplished and what I have left to do:

Features complete and ready to go:
  • Audiobus support (currently input slot only, but I am planning add real time recording into borderlands via the output slot soon - potentially as a quick turnaround update after V2 is released)
  • Ability to save and load "scenes" - collections of sounds and clouds. This is especially helpful for live performance
  • Ability to optionally delete sounds after throwing them offscreen to free up memory for new imported sounds.
  • Resonant filters on each grain cloud (lowpass, bandpass, highpass, boost/cut options) with the option to enable per-grain randomization of the filter parameters.
  • Ability to quickly duplicate clouds (create new cloud while target for duplication is showing parameters)
  • Panning / width controls for each grain cloud (panning becomes available in "unity" spatialization mode, width becomes available in "L/R" spatialization mode)
Bugfixes / commonly requested tweaks that are currently ready to go
  • Rotation of the screen now works, so landscape mode is supported in both directions
  • Several issues that could cause version 1 to crash on launch have been addressed
  • Better handling of memory, so larger files may be loaded
  • Confirmed and tested support for hardware interfaces that don't currently work with version 1.
  • Borderlands now adapts to the system sample rate (so 44.1 is possible, although performance is reduced. I plan to allow user to set "preferred sample rate" in settings dialog)
  • Boosted performance - latest test allows 30 grain clouds with 8 voices each sampling a single stereo file on an ipad 2 (compared to less than 20-22 in version 1) (at 22050)
  • File sharing is now enabled (so you can get your recordings and scene data off the ipad)
  • Improved triggering system is much more accurate. 5 ms grains are REALLY 5 ms in duration.
  • Revised handling of Lissajous plots (the dynamic waveforms in the center of each grain cloud) to maintain visual consistency across different sample rates (length will now be the same despite potentially changing block size)
 Features left to complete before release:
  • Better import / export options - I am planning to support Audioshare and possibly dropbox at the moment.
  • Settings menu with sample rate preference setting, global bpm, background audio on/off setting, etc...
  • Option to show the names of the waveforms
  • Tempo synced grains (This was previously complete, but I discovered a critical issue with the audio block size + tempo accuracy. Currently working on figuring out a more robust syncing system which will integrate with the new sample-accurate grain triggering mechanism, but this may be pushed to a post-V2 update if it starts taking too long). Likely will be synced to local tempo only in the release with midi sync coming later.
So that's the latest. I hope you are all doing well. Thank you for continuing to use the app, for your support, and for your patience!

Best,
Chris

james...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2014, 7:47:09 PM7/4/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
So great to hear about an upcoming update. Borderlands was the first App I ever purchased.
Love the concept of clouds floating over a landscape of sound.
In pursuit of that I've found taking Ipad audio out to effects pedal hardware to greatly enhance the experience.
Audiobus integration is going to cover that without all the gear set-up etc...Great!
I'm sure you've gotten (oh so) many requests...so, zero expectations...just an idea:
In keeping with the concept of free floating clouds...
Adding DRIFT/FLOCK PHYSICS to existing gravity for HANDS-OFF ambient/pseudo-generative capacity would seem
definitely in keeping with free floating clouds concept.
(especially useful in performance with other Apps via Audiobus)
Note: as I write it occurs to me how that great strength of computers' "predictability" can also be a weakness.
Surprises are a good thing....love the unexpected!

Looking forward to exploring the update and re-exploring the App.
With respect for time limitations,admiration and appreciation for creativity,
JB

mannequ...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2014, 4:46:45 PM7/7/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Can't wait for the next update. Audiobus support will be fantastic. If possible since this is already done just do an incremental update for Audiobus support. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks,

Adam

https://soundcloud.com/mannequinracesband

okeeff...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2014, 2:17:55 PM7/19/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
I love, love this app cannot wait for the ability to record out into Auria.

dbl...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2014, 4:15:48 PM8/15/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chris,
I just wanted to say thank you for developing this beautiful app which is really a dream tool. To be honest I actually got the iPad just to be able to play with Borderlands! (Somehow could not get it on my mac 10.6)... Absolutely love the concept of the landscape and clouds, the graphics are just as simple as beautiful and the usability of the all is just wonderful. I will send you some stuff I did thank to Borderlands as soon as I can.
Can't wait for V2!!!
All what you are doing it is really amazing, thank you!
Grazie!

Dario

modulationindex

Aug 19, 2014, 1:13:08 AM8/19/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com, dbl...@gmail.com
Thanks so much for the kind message, Dario :)  Please do send some samples. I'd love to hear them!

Best,
Chris

aot...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2014, 7:33:30 PM8/30/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear that man... Bring it on!

m.m.m...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2014, 9:42:34 PM9/17/14
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on the young life in your life! I completely understand your time constraints! This is such a unique app. REally like the uniqueness of the instrument! Such a great innovation and a great direction for tablets. I purchased even with the present "limitations" because I want to support innovative thinking! Looking forward to your planned updates. Take care!
Message has been deleted

kennyk...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2015, 8:48:57 AM3/27/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Sound very cool update , I personally think borderlands is one of the best apps for this side of things ,only import and export is troubling for me and really slowed down its use but I look forward .....its stunning software