Great App Needs Great Manual

Tchexydon

Mar 31, 2015, 6:34:38 PM3/31/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I have many questions but lets start with imported files. Where are they located in Bordelands after being imported? How I can load them? How to delete them? What is the limit on imported files from Audioshare?
I downloaded Borderlands default files (4 files). What to do with them? I have impression that we already have them loaded when we start Borderlands.

I love the app very much. It is very original but I do not like having no good manual. I know that developers
hate to write manuals but it is must. (I think)

Best regards!
Tchexydon

Neil Wiernik

Mar 31, 2015, 6:46:46 PM3/31/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
There is a great help file top right hand corner of the app

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015, Tchexydon <tche...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello!

I have many questions but lets start with imported files. Where are they located in Bordelands after being imported? How I can load them? How to delete them? What is the limit on imported files from Audioshare?
I downloaded Borderlands default files (4 files). hat to do with them? I have impression that we already have them loaded when we start Borderlands.

I love the app very much. It is very original but I do not like having no good manual. I know that developers
hate to write manuals but it is must. (I think)

Best regards!
Tchexydon

modulationindex

Apr 1, 2015, 12:37:42 AM4/1/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tchexydon,

Thanks for your email. Regarding the manual, Neil is right - there is an info view which is available in the settings menu (gear icon) in the top right set of buttons. This menu goes through all of the button functionality, but you are correct, it does not explain many of the questions you are asking.

My answers are in blue:

I have many questions but lets start with imported files. Where are they located in Bordelands after being imported?
Open the file folder button, press "recordings."  You will see a menu called "imported sounds" once you actually import a sound. Anything you import from audioshare will show up under this menu. Note, you need to tap it to expand the table.  Furthermore, any sounds you drag into the app's documents directory via file sharing will show up under "imported sounds."

Any recordings you make using the "Rec Out" button will show up under a heading called "Borderlands Mixes"

Any audio you save in a "Scene" will show up in the recordings menu under headings that correspond to your scene names.

How I can load them?

If you import directly from audioshare using the "import" button, the sound will load immediately in the interface.

Otherwise, you can go to the aforementioned recordings menu and press the middle button in the table cell corresponding to the recording you would like to load. This button loads the sound into the interface.
Imported sounds (and realtime input recordings) ALWAYS appear at the bottom of the screen. This is intended to enable easy loading of the sounds during live performance (so sounds don't unexpectedly appear under other files that you are granulating). Note how the sounds nudge each other out of the way if you import more than one sound at a time.

How to delete them?

There is a trash button in the bottom menu. It will tell you how to delete when you press it.

Another option is to go to the settings menu and turn on "delete offscreen sounds." If that is on, you can simply throw sounds offscreen to delete them (similar to how you delete grain clouds).

What is the limit on imported files from Audioshare?
Not sure what you mean here. The only limit would be the amount of RAM you have free on your device. The app will alert you if you are using too much. Otherwise, load as many sounds as you can.

I downloaded Borderlands default files (4 files). What to do with them? I have impression that we already have them loaded when we start Borderlands.

Correct. They load when you start borderlands. A number of users of the first version requested access to the raw files since they aren't available to pull out of the app. I just linked them on the website for people who wanted to use the sounds in other applications.

Hope this helps! Feel free to get in touch with any other questions.

Best,
Chris

Tchexydon

Apr 1, 2015, 2:50:48 AM4/1/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Thank You Chris!

You are one great dude!
Tchexydon

avanj...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 2:15:56 PM4/24/15
to borderland...@googlegroups.com
Another helpful hint that had me stumped for a bit. Since the app stores the audio files, you may need to purge now and then. It was not exactly intuitive how you deleted a scene or audio file, I figured it out after spending much time thinking it had to do with the trash icon on the bottom right of the screen. Actually it is hidden within the file menu itself... You simply slide the scene or imported audio file to the left which reveals a bright red DELETE button. Easy once you figure it out.

adrianm...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2015, 10:57:45 AM9/3/15
to Borderlands - An Audiovisual Interface for Granular Synthesis, avanj...@gmail.com
Many many Thanks, I have a problem !! now is ok !
greetings