some feature requests

velo...@googlemail.com

Mar 21, 2016, 7:09:45 AM3/21/16
to Borderlands - An Audiovisual Interface for Granular Synthesis
I totally love this app!!! and I'm far from proficient yet so please bear with me ... Here are some things I thought could be nice to have in future versions:

1. the clouds all look the same and when playing with several of them, it becomes difficult to remember which is which. I think it would be sufficient to put a sequential number on them so that I can tell them apart. Or assignable colors, or something similar. Maybe as an option.

2. Midi control. Maybe this is already in there but I haven't found it yet. I couldn't help imagining that I play Borderlands as an instrument with my midified guitar, or a keyboard. The x-axis of the complete rectangular screen could be mapped to pitch, the y-axis to velocity

3. No idea if this is possible but if this was a VST plugin, I'd ask for separate outputs for each cloud so I could assign different effects to each one. But maybe this isn't even possible in Audiobus.

-Michael

modulationindex

Mar 29, 2016, 10:11:31 PM3/29/16
to Borderlands - An Audiovisual Interface for Granular Synthesis, velo...@googlemail.com
hi michael! thanks for the message :)

1. ah yes - this is something that i've thought about a number of times. could be that it's time to expand the app's color palette a bit.

2. i am definitely interested in providing some external means of controlling grain parameters (especially given my imposed limitation of only opening a single cloud at a time for editing). midi and osc are both good options for this. i just need to get up to speed on coremidi.

3. ooo yeah, interesting idea. i'm sure there's some way to route multichannel audio out of the app, but everything is built around a stereo audio callback at the moment. probably will keep it that way for awhile.

thanks!
chris

edwinen...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2017, 3:48:40 PM3/8/17
to Borderlands - An Audiovisual Interface for Granular Synthesis
Hey hey. Yes please, +1 to all of that. Also, if it wato be able to control the pitch shifting more precisely - e.g. A perfect fifth is58.33% so I can't get it perfectly in tune - or if it could be out of 120 rather than 100 that would do the trick.

In other news - borderlands is ace, my favourite app without question. Thanks.

Cheers - ed