Rec in - shorter buffer size

shauncrookb...@googlemail.com

Feb 24, 2016, 9:28:33 AM2/24/16
to Borderlands - An Audiovisual Interface for Granular Synthesis
Hello.
Just wondering why when I REC in it creates a predetermined buffer for the recording. Can it not just create a buffer for the time you are recording or must I stick with the given block? I'm finding i like to record small samples and then i've got a lot of nothing left in the sample.
Thanks for an awesome app though, loving it!
Shaun

modulationindex

Mar 29, 2016, 9:59:51 PM3/29/16
to Borderlands - An Audiovisual Interface for Granular Synthesis, shauncrookb...@googlemail.com
Hey Shaun -

Great question + glad you're enjoying the app.

Honestly, the main reason for the fixed length is because it was a bit easier for me to wrap my brain around when I was writing the code... and made it faster to get the record input functionality in there. The app allocates the memory for the input waveform up front, which makes it slightly less tricky to handle the situation of potentially running out of RAM.  The way I wrote the sound resizing code also was a bit more conducive to having a fixed waveform.

I definitely understand what you are saying though and would love to have the option for waveforms continue to expand rather than loop. I'll spend some more time thinking about how the code could be adapted to handle that.

Best,
Chris