move cursor -- was resolved in chrome last night

Johannes Wilm

May 27, 2013, 10:38:19 AM5/27/13
to booktype-dev, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Hey,

funny thing: the issue of that prevents the cursor from moving around footnotes correctly and deleting them was fixed in Chrome last night after I filed a bug report on it: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=238000

The emphasis is here on WAS -- the patch lived for about 2 hours before it was removed again. The reason: They are not sure if this is the right thing to do anyway. Had this patch stayed, we could have resolved all issues of moving the cursor around a footnote the way it exists in BookJS with just two lines of CSS. :)

--
Johannes Wilm
BookJS Developer

skype: johanneswilm

Johannes Wilm

May 27, 2013, 11:07:23 AM5/27/13
to Martin Konečný, booktype-dev, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Thanks!

It would be good if others could do this too. As I understand it, there is no real spec that explains how they should go about these situations, so it's all a matter of convincing them to do A or to do B.

 Internet Explorer happens to do the thing that would make BookJs footnotes work automatically (no canvas editor solution needed, we would only need a work-around for Firefox), so the solution Chrome had implemented in which they copied Internet Explorer's behavior would have been really good for us. But apparently there is someone in the Chromium camp who is opposed to this, or questions it. At any rate, any solution will be better than the current behavior, especially if they copy the behavior of another browser.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Martin Konečný <martin....@sourcefabric.org> wrote:
I starred the issue, looks like multiple people are noticing this bug as well. At least Google is paying attention to this. Good luck getting it fixed soon :)

Open source radio in the cloud. Get yours now! ---> http://airtime.pro

Martin Konecny
Software Developer, Sourcefabric
martin....@sourcefabric.org

720 Bathurst St. Suite 203
M5S 2R4, Toronto, ON, Canada
+1 (416) 892-8420
Skype: martin.konecny15

http://www.sourcefabric.org
http://www.twitter.com/Sourcefabric

Johannes Wilm

May 27, 2013, 12:25:47 PM5/27/13
to micz...@sourcefabric.org, Martin Konečný, booktype-dev, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
:)

Notice I didn't say that Microsoft is doing the "right" thing -- they just happen to do what would be most convenient for us. The right thing would be to write a specification about how to deal with these cases and then follow that. Unfortunately that takes a LONG time.

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Micz Flor <micz...@sourcefabric.org> wrote:
Microsoft is leading the way again!
--
Micz Flor