Problems with `make test`

Yash Mehrotra

Dec 22, 2014, 2:31:39 PM12/22/14
to bookie_b...@googlegroups.com
I followed the instructions as given in the docs and make run was running fine.

During make run, i encountered an error

File "unittest2/case.py", line 16, in <module>
    from six.moves import range
ImportError: cannot import name range

also in bin/python , six.moves.range cannot be imported

since we keep all our dependencies in download-cache this shouldn't be happening.

So then I updated by six package to 1.8.0
After that I got an error

pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (coverage 4.0a1 (/home/yashmehrotra/github/main/Bookie/lib/python2.7/site-packages), Requirement.parse('coverage>=3.7.1,<4.0a1'))

So then i installed coverage==3.7.1

After that make test worked , but all those tests that required the six package failed. Even though it is working in bin/python

So, I would like to request the Bookie Team to -
  1. Change the file ' dev-requirements.txt ' and set it up so that only the specific working packages be installed.
  2. Guide me to fix my problem.
  3. Try to set up bookie again from scratch to see if its a genuine problem or only I am facing it.
Thanks a lot!

-Yash Mehrotra

Rick Harding

Dec 22, 2014, 3:03:08 PM12/22/14
to bookie_b...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yash, you're correct. It looks like webtest, six, and coverage all aren't compatible at the moment. I ran into this when setting up a fresh development environment a little bit ago and I've been meaning to chase it down.

For the moment, I do have a working test environment with the following deps in pip freeze. My plan this week is to hard code the versions in the dev-requirements and that should unblock tests. From there, we should look at what's not compatible and help talk with upstreams on those packages to help bring up the brokenness in their current latest versions.

While the main packges for the app are version locked, the development ones have been treated a bit more flexible to help catch changes coming down the pipe sooner. Looks like it fought back :)

BeautifulSoup==3.2.0
Chameleon==1.3.0-rc1
Jinja2==2.5.5
Mako==0.9.1
MarkupSafe==0.12
Paste==1.7.5.1
PasteDeploy==1.5.0
PasteScript==1.7.5
PyRRD==0.1.0
PyYAML==3.11
Pygments==1.4
SQLAlchemy==0.9.4
Sphinx==1.0.7
Tempita==0.5dev
Unidecode==0.04.7
WebError==0.10.3
WebOb==1.3.1
WebTest==2.0.15
Whoosh==2.4.1
alembic==0.6.5
amqp==1.0.12
anyjson==0.3.3
argparse==1.2.1
beautifulsoup4==4.3.2
billiard==2.7.3.31
-e git...@github.com:mitechie/Bookie.git@2f81308f78ccfd448c93754aa2bbc06b179ae138#egg=bookie-bookieio/develop
breadability==0.1.20
celery==3.0.21
celery-with-redis==3.0
chardet==2.2.1
convoy==0.2.2
cov-core==1.13.0
coverage==3.7.1
decorator==3.3.1
docopt==0.6.1
docutils==0.7
feedparser==5.1.3
flake8==2.2.2
gunicorn==0.17.2
kombu==2.5.12
lxml==3.3.4
mccabe==0.2.1
mock==1.0.1
pep8==1.5.7
psycopg2==2.5.3
-e hg+*** failed to import extension hggit: No module named hggit
https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/py/@*** failed to import extension hggit: No module named hggit
89d472ccb3556f34f2a039c61f8b0090a8e4e9a2#egg=py-dev
py-bcrypt==0.3
pyScss==1.1.3
pyflakes==0.8.1
pyinotify==0.9.4
pyramid==1.5
pyramid-celery==1.3
pyramid-debugtoolbar==2.0.2
pyramid-mako==1.0.1
pyramid-tm==0.7
-e hg+*** failed to import extension hggit: No module named hggit
https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/pytest/@*** failed to import extension hggit: No module named hggit
bc61fe662fa32521eab0b6f2c4ca427bdac0cd1f#egg=pytest-dev
pytest-cov==1.7.0
python-dateutil==2.1
redis==2.7.6
repoze.lru==0.4
requests==1.2.3
shortuuid==0.3
six==1.3.0
textblob==0.8.4
topia.termextract==1.1.0
transaction==1.4.1
translationstring==0.4
tweepy==2.3.0
unittest2==0.5.1
venusian==1.0a8
virtualenv==1.5.2
waitress==0.8.5
wsgiref==0.1.2
zope.component==3.10.0BeautifulSoup==3.2.0
[...]
zope.configuration==3.7.4
zope.deprecation==3.5.0
zope.event==3.5.0-1
zope.i18nmessageid==3.5.3
zope.interface==3.8.0
zope.schema==3.7.1
zope.sqlalchemy==0.6.1

zope.configuration==3.7.4
zope.deprecation==3.5.0
zope.event==3.5.0-1
zope.i18nmessageid==3.5.3
zope.interface==3.8.0
zope.schema==3.7.1
zope.sqlalchemy==0.6.1

Yash Mehrotra

Dec 22, 2014, 3:38:27 PM12/22/14
to bookie_b...@googlegroups.com
I would like to take the liberty of hard-coding the packages in dev-requirements.txt , so should I write them as the pip freeze you posted and send a pull request?

Rick Harding

Dec 22, 2014, 4:08:56 PM12/22/14
to bookie_b...@googlegroups.com

Yep that would be great. Make sure to add yourself to the credit file and I will test this out later on. Thank you very much for the help.

Yash Mehrotra

Dec 22, 2014, 4:21:19 PM12/22/14
to bookie_b...@googlegroups.com
I sent a pull request , I am already added to the CREDITS.txt file , i contributed some patches a few weeks back.

Yash Mehrotra

Dec 22, 2014, 4:44:27 PM12/22/14
to bookie_b...@googlegroups.com
I tested the changes locally by creating a new virtual environment and make test and make lint work fine.
This is the pull request