Fwd: [GDCR] Global Day of Coderetreat 2012 on December 8th

Kurt Häusler

Aug 11, 2012, 5:09:22 PM8/11/12
to bonn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I will not be hosting this event in the Köln/Bonn area as I don't live there anymore.

Maybe one of you wants to do it?

Here is the email about it from Corey Haines. Please enter your details in the google doc if you want to host or facilitate. (I recommend having separate people doing the hosting and facilitating, but it is not too hard to take on both roles)

Also let me know and I will give you the mailing list and twitter account I set up last year.

Cheers,

Kurt

Begin forwarded message:

From: Corey Haines <corey...@gmail.com>
Subject: [GDCR] Global Day of Coderetreat 2012 on December 8th
Date: 11 August 2012 23:00:32 CEST

Hello, everyone!

First off, I want to thank all of you for all the work and excitement around Global Day of Coderetreat 2011. We had 94 cities with over 1800 developers participating. What an amazing day that was.

This is an announcement for Global Day of Coderetreat 2012. We'll be doing it on December 8th, 2012. My goal this year is to get 200 cities participating! Can we do that? YES! I'm also going to be pushing a lot harder for mainstream, non-technical press coverage, especially after this article in The Atlantic titled "software runs the world, how scared should we be that so much of it is bad": http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/08/software-runs-the-world-how-scared-should-we-be-that-so-much-of-it-is-so-bad/260846/

Now, I realize not all of you will want or be able to host again this year, so I'm going to be putting out the call for hosts again early next week. I don't want to spam you guys on this list, so I'll be flushing all the membership on Monday, August 13. This will allow us to rebuild up the list of hosts (and facilitators) fresh. If you are interested in hosting again this year (and I hope you are), please fill in this form with your information, so I can add you back to the mailing list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGpyc2wzT1pNeFhKcmlaOE94bGJlc3c6MQ#gid=0

I'll be posting a larger post on coderetreat.org with an official announcement, plus details on hosting, etc. I wanted to give all of you early information about it, though.

I realize that last year things were a bit chaotic leading up to the day, even a bit confusing around what was expected of hosts. I'll be putting forth much more effort this year in making things clear, helping out with new facilitator sessions, etc. Also, I know that there was a lot of confusion around the giveaways from Pragmatic Press and JetBrains. To the point where I believe a couple people slipped through the cracks. I'm VERY sorry about that, and I'll be taking the learnings from that and streamlining the process tremendously this year.

Again, thank you all so much for participating in Global Day of Coderetreat 2011, and I look forward to even greater things this year on December 8th!

Also, one of my goals is to have a skype call with an Astronaut, or someone from the International Space Station, on the day. If any of you know someone who could help with that, please let me know!

Thanks!
-Corey