On listing 'Android' support at the BOINC project list

Kam-Yung Soh

Dec 11, 2014, 10:03:49 PM12/11/14
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The BOINC project list [ https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php ] currently lists the following supported platforms:

- Microsoft Windows
- Mac OS X
- Linux
- Android
- FreeBSD
- Raspberry Pi
- NVIDIA GPUs
- AMD GPUs
- Intel GPUs
- Virtualbox

Would it make sense to break up Android support into the following categories?

- Android (Older than Version 5.0)
- Android (Version 5.0 and above)

I have also seen some forum posts from people who are unable get WUs in BOINC for their Intel based Android devices.

To complicate things further, the Nexus 9 (and future Android devices?) runs on a 64-bit ARM architecture.

In short, I think listing Android support for BOINC projects in the future is going to get complicated.

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Greatnessguru

Dec 12, 2014, 11:41:50 PM12/12/14
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
- Linux

How 'bout:
- Linux, ARM
- Linux, ...
- Linux, ...
Etc., etc.

Eddie Maddox
WCG, 25+ years on some ARM tablets,
unfortunately running Android

David Chubrick

Jan 26, 2015, 11:22:47 AM1/26/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)

But that's okay. A lot of apps don't like Lollipop and the funny thing is a lot people are leaving negative reviews when the fault is Google pulled a Microsoft thing. What we need is a DC project to make programs forward-compatible. 😉 Of course, building a DeLorean might be easier...

There's hardly any demand for Android on Intel. There's just very little market share. Atom primarily been used for Netbooks and only very recently has Google finally added in App support.

Greatnessguru

Jan 26, 2015, 12:53:30 PM1/26/15
On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 11:22:47 AM UTC-5, David Chubrick wrote:
No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)
Correction: WCG, over this past weekend, has supported Android 5,
at least for some of us doing testing. This is both client and work units.

Please see the thread about WCG news release and PIE.

Rom Walton

Jan 26, 2015, 1:00:10 PM1/26/15
to Greatnessguru, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

As near as I can tell, lollipop support isn't required for Kindle devices.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS

The latest version of Fire OS is based on Android 4.4.

----- Rom

SekeRobG

Jan 27, 2015, 8:04:42 AM1/27/15
to Greatnessguru, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
No, WCG is has a PEI [sic] version of the FAHV app for Android in development! Nothing different was ever stated.

--SekeRob

Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 6:53 PM
Subject: [boinc-android-testing] Re: On listing 'Android' support at the BOINC project list

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jan 27, 2015, 8:11:20 AM1/27/15
to David Chubrick, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

>No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)

Albert@Home ( http://albert.phys.uwm.edu ) , the test project of Einstein@Home, now has an app that is supposed to run under Android 5. Since we do not have such a device here at the moment, it would be great if people on this list could sign up their "Lollipop" devices to Albert@Home and see/report what happens .

Cheers
HB

Kam-Yung Soh

Jan 28, 2015, 12:08:00 AM1/28/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, dchu...@gmail.com, heinz-bernd...@aei.mpg.de
Hello,

I have signed up for Albert@Home and tried it on my Nexus 7 (2012 Edition) running Lollipop and I get a 'computation error'

The details are logged at http://albertathome.org/task/1639722

Regards,
Kam-Yung

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:11:20 PM UTC+8, Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein wrote:
Hi!

>No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)

Albert@Home ( http://albert.phys.uwm.edu ) , the test project of Einstein@Home, now has an app that is supposed to run under Android 5. Since we do not have such a device here at the moment, it would be great if people on this list could sign up their "Lollipop" devices to Albert@Home and see/report what happens .

Cheers
HB
Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover,  Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

From:        David Chubrick <dchu...@gmail.com>
To:        boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com,
Date:        26/01/2015 18:09
Sent by:        boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)

But that's okay. A lot of apps don't like Lollipop and the funny thing is a lot people are leaving negative reviews when the fault is Google pulled a Microsoft thing. What we need is a DC project to make programs forward-compatible. 😉 Of course, building a DeLorean might be easier...

There's hardly any demand for Android on Intel. There's just very little market share. Atom primarily been used for Netbooks and only very recently has Google finally added in App support.

Visit this group at

Kam-Yung Soh

Jan 28, 2015, 12:08:15 AM1/28/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, dchu...@gmail.com, heinz-bernd...@aei.mpg.de
Hello,

I have signed up for Albert@Home and tried it on my Nexus 7 (2012 Edition) running Lollipop and I get a 'computation error'

The details are logged at http://albertathome.org/task/1639722

Regards,
Kam-Yung

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:11:20 PM UTC+8, Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein wrote:
Hi!

>No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)

Albert@Home ( http://albert.phys.uwm.edu ) , the test project of Einstein@Home, now has an app that is supposed to run under Android 5. Since we do not have such a device here at the moment, it would be great if people on this list could sign up their "Lollipop" devices to Albert@Home and see/report what happens .

Cheers
HB
Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover,  Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jan 28, 2015, 8:54:39 AM1/28/15
to Kam-Yung Soh, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Thanks for testing, I think I found out what went wrong. I've deprecated the current app, expect a new one to be available in an hour or so.

Cheers
HB

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:11:20 PM UTC+8, Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein wrote:Hi!

>No BOINC projects support Lollipop. The client doesn't even support it. :)

Albert@Home ( http://albert.phys.uwm.edu ) , the test project of Einstein@Home, now has an app that is supposed to run under Android 5. Since we do not have such a device here at the moment, it would be great if people on this list could sign up their "Lollipop" devices to Albert@Home and see/report what happens .

Cheers
HB
Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover,  Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

Kam-Yung Soh

Jan 28, 2015, 11:38:31 PM1/28/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, sohka...@gmail.com, heinz-bernd...@aei.mpg.de
Thanks for the update.

Refreshed and got two WUs: [ http://albertathome.org/task/1639741 ] and [ http://albertathome.org/task/1639744 ]. Looks okay so far.

Hope this triggers the 'race' for the other projects to begin making their apps work with Android 5.0!

Thanks and best regards,
Kam-Yung

Kam-Yung Soh

Feb 3, 2015, 7:59:31 PM2/3/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, sohka...@gmail.com, heinz-bernd...@aei.mpg.de
Hello,

I'm starting to get computation errors again due to the wrong type of executables for Albert@Home. See [ http://albertathome.org/task/1777980 ], [ http://albertathome.org/task/1776051 ].

Prior to this, I was getting the correct ones. The last successful one was [ http://albertathome.org/task/1775401 ]

Regards,
Kam-Yung

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Feb 4, 2015, 4:46:26 AM2/4/15
to Kam-Yung Soh, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, sohka...@gmail.com
Thanks for the report.

I suspect that this has to do with some experiments we are doing on the scheduler of Albert. We will check.

Cheers
HBE

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

Feb 4, 2015, 8:47:24 AM2/4/15
to Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein, Kam-Yung Soh, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
What are the host requirements for getting the 1.46 (NEONPIE) app at Einstein? And Albert?

Is it sent to all Position-independent executables (PIE) Capable hosts? ie 4.1.x onwards, Or 5.0.x only?

I have a Android 4.4.1 host that produces 100% validate error results at Einsten with the 1.43 (NEON) app (and at Albert beforehand),
It works absolutely fine with v1.44 (NEON) app at Albert, It has picked a v1.46 (NEONPIE) task up at Albert, not completed it yet, another day or so,

Position-independent executables (PIE)

Starting with version 4.1, Android supports position-independent executables (PIE). Starting with version 5.0, PIE is mandatory - Android refuses to run native executables that are not PIE.

Claggy

Kam-Yung Soh

Feb 4, 2015, 10:05:29 PM2/4/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, heinz-bernd...@aei.mpg.de
Thanks for the reply.

I have switched from albert@home to einstein@home. Got my first WU [ http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/result.php?resultid=482803644 ] and so far it is processing fine.

Now to wait for the other projects to make the move too.

Best regards,
Kam-Yung
 To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to boinc-android-testing+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

David Chubrick

Feb 4, 2015, 11:32:32 PM2/4/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

Rosetta@home and GPUgrid should not be listed as Android.

Rosetta seems to have a beta of sorts for Android but no actual formal Android support. If you attach it says there is no support for this type of device (ARM).

GPU is only GPU. Maybe for nVidia hardware tablets, but not any ARM related GPU devices. Their site doesn't even list Android, only Linux 64.

Best,

David

Stephen Maclagan

Feb 5, 2015, 8:14:30 AM2/5/15
to Kam-Yung Soh, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Looks as if the v1.46 (NEONPIE) app has taken a step backwards on my Android 4.1.1 host, it's first, and only Wu with that app finished up as validate error:

And with the 1.44 (NEON) app never making to the main Einstein project, and all the Android apps being deprecated at Albert,
it has precisely no reliable projects to crunch on, My last question on the changes to the 1.44 (NEON) app were never answered:

It doesn't help that there are 14 sticky threads, questions in regular threads don't get seen.

Claggy

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/boinc-android-testing.