Disc/Memory fragmentation through BOINC? Phone seemed slower even without BOINC running, FSTrim seemed to help.

[WHGT]Cyberman

Feb 11, 2015, 3:30:48 AM2/11/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Since I can't really test this, it's just a theory, but I thought I'd write it up in case someone has a better idea, or maybe experiences the same problems.

I had BOINC running for quite some time on my phone, and noticed that it became ever more sluggish - even when BOINC was turned off, and the CPU free of additional work.

I've read a possible reason for this - continued write/delete leads to fragmentation of the storage, causing the system to spend time seeking or creating a suitably sized block of empty space when it needs to write something.
(Another explanation I just read is that the index table is getting larger because deleted entries aren't removed.)

The solution for this problem is the standard utility FSTrim - which defragments the partitions (like Defrag for Windows).
For some reasons older versions of Android (below 4.3?) don't have that built-in, or at least don't make use of it.

There are free apps in the store that can use them to clean up the storage, though. Unfortunately they need root access.

Long story short - does Boinc contribute to this fragmentation or does it have a built-in mechanism to prevent this? (No idea how, maybe reuse the same files?)
In any case, for me, FSTrim seemed to help.

Christoph