Bug? Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini keeps rebooting when BOINC running

Xavier M.

Jun 30, 2015, 12:41:41 PM6/30/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Well my modest S3 Mini is not my main crunching device (my other one is a decent desktop PC), anyway I installed Android BOINC yesterday to give it a test run with the World Community Grid project.

I had no trouble installing BOINC from Google Play, then attaching to my WCG account. Task downloading was OK (a work unit from the OET application), and crunching started after all required conditions were met. (I just tuned a few parameters in the Preferences screen. Notably, I tried to instruct BOINC to use both cores, before changing my mind and reverting this option later.)

Just a few minutes after starting (a few % of task completion), the whole system crashes (sometimes with screen corruption, if turned on at that time) and the phone reboots. And this keeps on and on... Of course I was enable to complete a single task. I got such crashes even when the WCG project was suspended! sad

The only cure I found was to completely uninstall BOINC; I tried to reinstall it 3 times, but even with unchanged stock parameters I couldn't get it working. sad

My phone is not rooted.

Note: problably nothing to do with that, but Cerberus anti-theft protection is installed on my phone. Could it be interfering with BOINC?...

BOINC version is current one: 7.4.14

Full tech specs for my Galaxy S3 Mini are here:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8190_galaxy_s_iii_mini-5033.php
OS is Android 4.1.2 Jellybean

Thanks for any help, best regards.

Xavier

Eric J Korpela

Jun 30, 2015, 1:29:15 PM6/30/15
to Xavier M., boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

There's only two of those currently running at the SETI@home beta.  One has returned 100% correct results.  The other has failed on every one.  It probably means they are borderline as compute devices, possibly because of thermal issues.

Does changing the max battery temperature in the advanced setting to 35C help?

Xavier M.

Jun 30, 2015, 2:05:43 PM6/30/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, xavier...@free.fr, kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Well, I have just re-installed it; still attached to my WCG account. I did as you said: a 35°C limit.

Task downloaded. Now waiting for the battery to reach 90% full charge, then the crushing will start...

(Oh by the way, I was still using yesterday the current  _stable_ version found on Google Play Store, I've just registered as a tester, I don't know If I re-installed the same one or the _test_ version? It says 7.4.41 ...)

Sorry for my borderline device ;) but I find it a little sad if a single "unprivileged" app manages to crash the whole system! Well I understand better, if it is related to hardware issues...

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Xavier M. <xavier...@free.fr> wrote:
[...]

Xavier M.

Jun 30, 2015, 2:14:53 PM6/30/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, xavier...@free.fr, kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Bad news! Shortly after all conditions were met for crunching, it didn't take long, the phone crashed and rebooted... I was not touching anything, screen was off.

Oh and by the time I was writing this message, It rebooted again twice. :-)

[...]

Xavier M.

Jun 30, 2015, 2:39:36 PM6/30/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, xavier...@free.fr, kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu
To stop the phone from repeatedly crashing and rebooting, I uninstalled BOINC.

The phone stopped rebooting on and on.

I rebooted manually, then I only re-installed BOINC the usual way from Google Play Store. I did _nothing_ , didn't even launch it!

 And guess what? Soon thereafter, I got a crash (with screen corruption by horizontal lines) and reboot!...

[...]

Eric J Korpela

Jun 30, 2015, 3:26:38 PM6/30/15
to Xavier M., boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
I suggest uninstalling.  With phones with long production runs there can be a lot of hardware changes under a single model number.  There must be something incompatible with the versions of BOINC we are distributing (or something incompatible about the apps at WCG).

I don't know if BOINC has an active Android developer right now.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Xavier M. <xavier...@free.fr> wrote:
[...]

Xavier M.

Jun 30, 2015, 4:06:03 PM6/30/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu, xavier...@free.fr
Yes, of course I uninstalled again . My feeble S3 Mini is nevertheless very useful to me ( I even quite often make  phone calls with it ;) ) so I just can't imagine keeping BOINC on it making it crash and reboot every 2 minutes or so... :)

I had a vague feeling BOINC might possibly be (?)  interfering with Cerberus anti-theft app, which is probably the most OS-tinkering app I have installed on the phone...

Thanks, hoping the Android version of BOINC will live on!

Xavier
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to boinc-android-testing+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jun 30, 2015, 4:15:59 PM6/30/15
to Eric J Korpela, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, Xavier M.
I happen to have an S3 mini myself and have recently experienced infinite reboot-cycles when using the camera app (!),  likely cause is a dying, bulging, battery, leading to an undervolt situation during heavy battery drain I guess. BOINC should (by default) only run when plugged into a charger, but  the battery could still play a role I guess.

I'd advise to check the battery for bulging: put it on a perfectly flat surface, give it a push on an edge, and if it keeps spinning....get a replacement ;-)

Cheers
HB

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein, Scientific Software Engineer
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover,  Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

From:        Eric J Korpela <kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Xavier M." <xavier...@free.fr>
Cc:        "boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com" <boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com>
Date:        30.06.2015 21:26
Subject:        Re: [boinc-android-testing] Bug? Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini keeps rebooting when BOINC running
Sent by:        boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

[...]

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/boinc-android-testing

.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boinc-android-testing/CAKFuvzYwOokyD8OeaTUc%2BifASRmv0hOp9pX28xiHLEAL8HHt2w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Xavier M.

Jun 30, 2015, 4:33:57 PM6/30/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, xavier...@free.fr, Heinz-Bernd...@aei.mpg.de, kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Well, actually, I bought my S3 Mini 2 years ago; I bought a replacement battery only 4 months ago, because the original one was almost dead... I bought it very cheap on the web, but it is genuine Samsung and was sold as brand new and looked so... Present phone autonomy seems decent too, so I think my new battery is OK?

Anyway, I'll try what you say. (Though I don't like opening my phone too often.)

Visit this group at