Using bob in Xcode

Ghifari Rahadian

Mar 31, 2016, 9:26:21 AM3/31/16
to bob-devel
I am new to programming so please don't be harsh.

I want to use bob on Xcode. I already install it on my OSX by using this (https://github.com/idiap/bob/wiki/Binary-Installation) via MacPorts.

From this (https://www.idiap.ch/software/bob/docs/releases/last/sphinx/html/IntroCxxDevelopment.html) it is said that I only need to put (#include <io/Video.h>) in my Xcode project. However, My Xcode can not detect the library.

Do I miss something? When I try to use OpenCV in Xcode, I need to set the linker flags manually. Perhaps I need to do so in Xcode as well?

Thank you,
Ghifari

Manuel Günther

Mar 31, 2016, 11:50:19 AM3/31/16
to bob-devel
Dear Ghifari,

the documentation you are pointing at is from the old Bob 1.x code, which is not valid for Bob 2 any more.

@idiapers: Guys, do you think we should remove this documentation, or at least add a note to it stating that this documentation is outdated?

indeed, using the C++ interface of Bob is not as straightforward, and there are only few people that have tried to use the pure C++ interface so far. Indeed, by now you have to add compiler and linker options in your CMakeLists.txt on your own. Maybe the discussion in here:
helps. Personally, I have never used Xcode (in fact I don't even know, what that is), so I cannot help you out on that.

Please note that the C++ interface has changed between Bob 1 and Bob 2. For some packages (such as the bob.io.video package), we don't even provide the C++ interface any more (though it should not be difficult to create one, if we would really require that).

@idiapers: It might be a good idea to provide some CMake macros in order to find Bob's libraries and include options, similar to what FindOpenCV.cmake would to for OpenCV: http://code.opencv.org/attachments/196/FindOpenCV.cmake
In our case this might be a bit more complicated as we would need to get all the dependencies, too. I am already doing that inside python: https://github.com/bioidiap/bob.extension/blob/master/bob/extension/__init__.py#L173
but we would probably need to translate that into CMake syntax.

Best regards
Manuel

Ghifari Rahadian

Mar 31, 2016, 8:15:50 PM3/31/16
to bob-devel
Dear Manuel,

Thank you for your reply. Okay, I guess I have to use another C++ library for my project because converting it to python is already too late

Ghifari