Problem compiling bob.measure

Victor Costa

Mar 8, 2017, 4:28:58 PM3/8/17
to bob-devel
Hello

I'm trying to compile a bob.bio.spear system using the zc.buildout method on Ubuntu 14.04 for use in some experiments. When the build reaches bob.measure, I get the error:

error: /tmp/easy_install-bIMO3W/bob.measure-2.3.0/.eggs/bob.math-2.1.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/bob/math/libbob_math.so: undefined symbol: dggsvd3_
An error occurred when trying to install /tmp/tmpsVbOJqget_dist/bob.measure-2.3.0.zip. Look above this message for any errors that were output by easy_install.

From searching around, it seems dggsvd3_ is related to LAPACK. The version I have is the one from the default Ubuntu repository.

Attached is the whole output of ./bin/buildout. Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Victor
buildout.log

Manuel Günther

Mar 8, 2017, 4:58:49 PM3/8/17
to bob-devel
Dear Victor,

this is the same issue that was reported here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bob-devel/bRKjZTRZ8Rc

bob.math seems to be broken at the moment. I would suggest to downgrade bob.math to the previous version, simply remove `bob.math-2.1.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg` from your eggs directory, and overwrite "bob.math" with  "bob.math < 2.1" inside of your `requirements.txt` or inside the eggs section of `buildout.cfg`.

Manuel

Amir Mohammadi

Mar 8, 2017, 5:00:11 PM3/8/17
to bob-devel

Hi Victor,

Have you gone through our binary installation of bob? I.e. Installing bob with conda first.

Which installation instructions did you follow?

Bob.math is not broken btw. You have to follow our installation instructions.

Thanks,
Amir

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---

Victor Costa

Mar 8, 2017, 6:15:14 PM3/8/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The conda installation works, but I would prefer not to use conda if possible.

I'm using the instructions on this page. From what I understood of the install page, this method is independent from the conda install, is this not the case?

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017, 10:29 PM Victor Costa <vic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello

I'm trying to compile a bob.bio.spear system using the zc.buildout method on Ubuntu 14.04 for use in some experiments. When the build reaches bob.measure, I get the error:

error: /tmp/easy_install-bIMO3W/bob.measure-2.3.0/.eggs/bob.math-2.1.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/bob/math/libbob_math.so: undefined symbol: dggsvd3_
An error occurred when trying to install /tmp/tmpsVbOJqget_dist/bob.measure-2.3.0.zip. Look above this message for any errors that were output by easy_install.

From searching around, it seems dggsvd3_ is related to LAPACK. The version I have is the one from the default Ubuntu repository.

Attached is the whole output of ./bin/buildout. Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Victor

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.

Victor P da Costa
M.Sc. Student - Electrical Engineering
SMT - Sinais, Multimídia e Telecomunicações
PEE - COPPE - UFRJ - Brazil

André Anjos

Mar 8, 2017, 6:46:09 PM3/8/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
This is reported here: https://gitlab.idiap.ch/bob/bob.math/issues/11

TL;DR make sure you have openblas >= 0.2.16 (or LAPACK 3.6+, if no optimization required).

André
Dr. André Anjos
Idiap Research Institute
Centre du Parc - rue Marconi 19
CH-1920 Martigny, Suisse
Phone: +41 27 721 7763
Fax: +41 27 721 7712
http://andreanjos.org

QA Collective

Mar 14, 2017, 9:05:08 PM3/14/17
to bob-devel
FYI - This depdendency is satisfied by openblas, not lapack.

I just ran a build on Python3.5 Ubuntu 16.10 (Xenial) and got this exact same error.  I had lapack 3.6.0 installed but not openblas.  After installing libopenblas-base libopenblas-dev (0.2.18), the error went away and build completed successfully.

[...]

Amir Mohammadi

Mar 15, 2017, 12:22:17 PM3/15/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viktor,

We develop (compile from source) bob in a conda environment: https://pythonhosted.org/bob/install.html#setting-up-a-development-environment-using-conda

Also, we compile and release binaries of bob on a centos 5 docker image using conda to make sure it works in ALL linux machines.

We really have no reason to support or test any Linux distribution besides conda anymore.
This does not mean that bob does not work on say Ubuntu 14.04 anymore but getting it to work falls in your responsibility.

So what you can do if you really want to install bob in Ubuntu 14.04 is to install the dependencies first using Ubuntu's package manager: https://pythonhosted.org/bob/install.html#dependencies

Then, if some dependencies do not satisfy our requirements like openblas here. You need to compile that from source and point its location to bob: https://pythonhosted.org/bob/temp/bob.extension/doc/buildout.html#hooking-in-privately-compiled-externals so it can pick that up instead.

All in all, I really am interested to know why you do not want to use conda.

Best,
Amir

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:15 AM Victor Costa <vic...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

From searching around, it seems dggsvd3_ is related to LAPACK. The version I have is the one from the default Ubuntu repository.