Bob tutorial in Denver on Oct 1 at IJCB'17

Sebastien Marcel

Aug 25, 2017, 10:26:41 AM8/25/17
to bob-devel
Manuel Günther will give a tutorial on "Bob's Biometric Recognition Framework – A Hands-on Tutorial with Face Recognition Examples" at IJCB'2017 !

---

In this tutorial we will introduce the biometric recognition framework of Bob. This framework includes both the implementation of evaluation protocols for several publicly available datasets, as well as implementations of many biometric recognition algorithms, while it is still easy to extend. This framework makes it easy to provide reproducible research, and several reproducible research papers have been published using Bob and its biometric recognition framework.

On the basis of face recognition examples, participants will be made familiar with the structure of a biometric recognition experiment including concepts of feature extraction, model enrollment, score computation, and evaluation. In three hands-on exercises, the participants will run three very different face recognition algorithms. After starting with a simple Eigenface approach, the more complex algorithm of Gaussian mixture modeling of DCT features will be introduced and evaluated. Finally, we will extend the framework by introducing a new algorithm, i.e., extracting deep features from the publicly available VGG face network using the Python interface of Caffe.

---

Manuel Günther

Sep 22, 2017, 7:21:08 PM9/22/17
to bob-devel
Thank you, Sebastien, for the notification of the tutorial.

I have prepared a web page that discusses prerequisites and installation instructions for the participants of the tutorial: http://vast.uccs.edu/public-data/IJCB.html

I am looking forward to see a lot of fascinated faces that are astonished how easy reproducible research can be!

Manuel

Sebastien Marcel

Sep 23, 2017, 3:14:23 AM9/23/17
to bob-devel
well done Manuel -- that's great !

André Anjos

Sep 23, 2017, 4:00:16 AM9/23/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely - great job! My 2 cents on it to get it even better:

I'd just try to explain a bit better this line:
[YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY] = /path/to/your/directory/att_faces
It is a bit confusing as the reader cannot easily distinguish if it should not replace "[YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY]" string as well. As a matter of fact, we should change this in bob.bio.base to something a bit more obvious. Maybe suppressing the word "YOUR" will do the trick.

Another option is to use "bob_dbmanage.py atnt download" - it will print the default location for the database. Once that is done, just show exactly what "~/.bob_bio_databases.txt" has to look like.

Best of luck, A

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---

Dr. André Anjos
Idiap Research Institute
Centre du Parc - rue Marconi 19
CH-1920 Martigny, Suisse
Phone: +41 27 721 7763
Fax: +41 27 721 7712
http://andreanjos.org

Manuel Günther

Sep 25, 2017, 12:29:31 PM9/25/17
to bob-devel
Thanks, Andre, for your suggestion. I have adapted the documentation based on your idea. I have added the exact contents of the file in the Virtual Machine.

Note however that the command ``bob_dbmanage.py atnt download`` will print the location of the ``db.sql3`` file, but not the directory of the original images that needs to be written into the ``~/.bob_bio_databases.txt``. If we could programmatically get the data directory, there would be no need to write it into an extra file...

And, indeed, the ``YOUR`` part in the file might be misleading. Changing that in ``bob.bio.base`` would, however, invalidate the current files. I think we can live with this (not that lucky) design choice, unless someone feels really agitated about this.

Manuel

André Anjos

Sep 26, 2017, 3:44:03 AM9/26/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Yes - you're right about the download command, my bad.

For the YOUR stuff, I guess providing a migration strategy would be a convenient path to get rid of this issue, for the next release of bob.bio.base.

Best, Andre

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.

Manuel Günther

Oct 5, 2017, 11:57:22 AM10/5/17
to bob-devel
The tutorial is over now, and I think it was a success. Despite the relatively low participation (I counted 10 people) and some issues with the installation that people faced, I believe that many of the participants will spread the words about bob. The comments of the participants were generally positive.

Thank you all for helping me out with comments and materials that I could use in the tutorial. We have recorded the whole tutorial. We will need some time to work on the final video(s). We'll let you know when they are available.

Cheers
Manuel

Manuel Günther

Oct 11, 2017, 8:44:33 PM10/11/17
to bob-devel
The videos for the tutorial are now uploaded on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasPC00f6pQ3ZCyAcbxOUJg/videos

We should think about how to link them to the Bob webpage.

Enjoy!

Tiago Freitas Pereira

Oct 12, 2017, 4:01:19 AM10/12/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Manuel,

Very nice and complete :-)
This definitely should be in the Bob's webpage.

Cheers

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.

Tiago

Amir Mohammadi

Oct 12, 2017, 4:04:18 AM10/12/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Our Wiki is the place for these things: https://www.idiap.ch/software/bob/wiki feel free to edit it.

Best,
Amir

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:44 AM, 'Manuel Günther' via bob-devel <bob-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The videos for the tutorial are now uploaded on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasPC00f6pQ3ZCyAcbxOUJg/videos

We should think about how to link them to the Bob webpage.

Enjoy!

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.

Tiago

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.

Sebastien Marcel

Oct 12, 2017, 5:30:57 AM10/12/17
to bob-devel
actually the link to tutorial on the wiki is dead

André Anjos

Oct 12, 2017, 5:49:39 AM10/12/17
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Fixed, thanks. A