I cannot run “bob” by Spyder on a virtual machine with Linux (ubuntu 16) on a Windows 10 host

Mohammad Saber

Apr 19, 2018, 3:36:15 AM4/19/18
to bob-devel

Hello,

I have a virtual machine with Linux (ubuntu 16) on a Windows 10 Host. I have installed Anaconda 3 (python 3.6) in virtual machine. I want to use “bob” in Linux because there is no Windows version.

I used Linux Terminal to install "bob". I followed the installation instruction on:

https://www.idiap.ch/software/bob/docs/bob/bob/stable/install.html

During installation, I saw an error after executing following code:

$ conda activate bob_py3

Therefore, I used following code instead:

$ source activate bob_py3

After then, I used the Gabor filter with an example explained here:

https://pythonhosted.org/bob.ip.gabor/guide.html

Problem: When I execute Gabor filter code in Spyder, “bob” package is not recognized by Spyder even though “bob” was already installed. The error message is as follows:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'bob'

Amir Mohammadi

Apr 19, 2018, 9:32:57 AM4/19/18
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Could you install bob 4 and try again?
https://www.idiap.ch/software/bob/install

Thanks,
Amir

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---

Manuel Günther

Apr 19, 2018, 11:46:38 AM4/19/18
to bob-devel
I guess that your Spyder does not know the path of your anaconda installation. I am not familiar with Spyder, but you should be able to set your PYTHONPATH variable to point to your correct path, which should look somewhat like `[YOUR_ANACONDA_BASE]/envs/bob_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages` (or something similar). If you don't find a way inside Spyder, you can try to go on the console and call:

$ PYTHONPATH=[YOUR_ANACONDA_BASE]/envs/bob_py3/lib/python3.6/site-packages spyder

This should solve your problem, independent of the bob version. Let us know if you have further issues.
Manuel

Mohammad Saber

Apr 19, 2018, 8:29:54 PM4/19/18
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

The problem was solved. I used a different terminal to call Spyder. I need to call Spyder in the same terminal that I created environment for Bob.

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bob-devel" group.