C++ exception caught: File is not readable

Anita Garland

Feb 4, 2018, 12:24:14 AM2/4/18
to bob-devel
Hi,

I get the following error when I enter "verify.py experiment1.py" in the terminal. I am running the experiment under the Biometric face recognition tests. The nose tests ran without error.

RuntimeError: File - constructor: C++ exception caught: 'file '[YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY]/s1/1.pgm' is not readable'

I believe that directory path to the .pgm files are correct as the YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY only points to the att_faces directory. Is there something I need to do to the .pgm files so that they are readable?

I am running Bob on a MacOSx.
Thanks!
Anita

Manuel Günther

Feb 4, 2018, 12:47:05 PM2/4/18
to bob-devel
Dear Anita,

this clearly indicates that you haven't set up you database correctly. Please read: https://www.idiap.ch/software/bob/docs/bob/bob.bio.base/stable/installation.html

Manuel

Manuel Günther

Feb 4, 2018, 12:49:17 PM2/4/18
to bob-devel
From your post I can imaging that, maybe, you are missing the [] inside of your bob_bio_databases.txt file. The content needs to be (exactly) '[YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY] = ' and not 'YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY = '.

Anita Garland

Feb 4, 2018, 10:37:31 PM2/4/18
to bob-devel
Thank you, Manuel.

This is the contents of the bob_bio_databases.txt file on my machine. I have tried removing the forward slashes '\'s in the YOUR_ATNT_DIRECTORY but still get the same error.
[YOUR\_ATNT\_DIRECTORY] = /Users/anitaantony/Documents/Biometrics/att_faces/

I did have the [] inside the file. Does the bob_bio_databases.txt have to live in a particular directory? The att_faces directory contains the directories s1 through s40 so I believe I have the database installed correctly. Also, is the bob_bio_databases.txt file supposed to be a hidden file? Should it actually be .bob_bio_databases.txt? I have tried as a hidden file and also had the same error.

I ran the "conda install" commands for  bob.bio.gmm, bob.bio.face, bob.bio.video, bob.db.youtube and gridtk without errors. The nosetests also ran without errors as per the installation instructions.

Thanks
Anita

Manuel Günther

Feb 5, 2018, 11:13:29 AM2/5/18
to bob-devel
Anita,

the file is called .bob_bio_databases.txt (so it is hidden on UNIX systems) and need to be placed inside of your HOME directory (/Users/anitaantony/ in your case). At least, this is the default place that bob.bio searches for.

Best regards
Manuel