install without conda, problem.

David van Leeuwen

Feb 27, 2018, 10:13:26 AM2/27/18
to bob-devel
Hello,

I realize installation is supposed to happen through conda, but I am not using conda.

When I try to install using `pip2 install bob`, the setup script bails out at:
```
    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/private/var/folders/3n/s84ddz9d6n5g9s86wjl3pdr80000gp/T/pip-build-nbcgPv/bob.ap/setup.py", line 42, in <module>
        bob_packages = bob_packages,
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bob/blitz/extension.py", line 52, in __init__
        BobExtension.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bob/extension/__init__.py", line 301, in __init__
        bob_includes, bob_libraries, bob_library_dirs, bob_macros = get_bob_libraries(self.bob_packages)
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bob/extension/__init__.py", line 193, in get_bob_libraries
        pkg = importlib.import_module(package)
      File "/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.13/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
        __import__(name)
    ImportError: No module named sp
```

whereas, in fact, `sp` is installed.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Cheers,

---david

Amir Mohammadi

Mar 6, 2018, 5:50:15 AM3/6/18
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please take a look at this page:
https://www.idiap.ch/software/bob/docs/bob/bob/stable/source.html
and let me know if you still have problems.

Thanks,
Amir

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups bob-devel group. To post to this group, send email to bob-...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to bob-devel+...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/bob-devel or directly the project website at http://idiap.github.com/bob/
---

Amir Mohammadi

Mar 21, 2018, 8:27:39 AM3/21/18
to bob-...@googlegroups.com
This is a known issue which is fixed in the master branch of bob.extension.

To checkout bob from source, please follow the buildout guide that I sent earlier. You can ignore the conda steps in that guide assuming you are installing the dependencies with another package manager.

Conda is a binary package manager. Installing bob with conda is done without any compilation. Although I think our conda installation instructions are broken temporarily.

Best,
Amir

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018, 8:01 PM David van Leeuwen <david.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am not sure if I understand the instructions correctly.  But on a debian-9 system I got stuck at

```sh
pip install bob.extension
apt-get install libboost-dev blitz++
pip install bob.blitz

    /usr/include/c++/6/cstdlib:75:25: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
     #include_next <stdlib.h>
```

so dependencies still are a nightmare.  I get the impression that conda is a package managing system for python which doesn't fit in with debian, so I want to stay away from that a little longer, if possible.

In the end, I started this because I am interested in the roc convex hull implementation of the EER in bob.measure, but installing that comes with a long list of non-trivial to install dependencies.

---david