Declarative Services: Manually Defined?

Bryan Hunt

Aug 17, 2016, 10:35:40 AM8/17/16
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
What does the new Manually Defined mean for the Declarative Services setting?

Related to this, when I change the setting from Manually Defined to OSGi Annotations and save the bnd.bnd file, the value is switched back to Manually Defined.

Bryan

Neil Bartlett

Aug 17, 2016, 10:44:03 AM8/17/16
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com

Neil.

> On 17 Aug 2016, at 15:35, Bryan Hunt <bh...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> What does the new Manually Defined mean for the Declarative Services setting?

This is not new. When the Bndtools editor reads the file, it’s looking for the string “-dsannotations: *”, meaning “use standard DS annotations" OR the string “Service-Component: *” meaning “use bnd annotations”.

If either of these properties are present but with a value other than “*” then we infer that you’ve done something special that can’t be represented in the dropdown. In other words: Manually Defined.

> Related to this, when I change the setting from Manually Defined to OSGi Annotations and save the bnd.bnd file, the value is switched back to Manually Defined.

That shouldn’t happen. Maybe a bug.

Neil

> Bryan

Bryan Hunt

Aug 17, 2016, 10:49:20 AM8/17/16
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the explanation Neil. I had both -dsannotations and Service-Component: set to “*” in the workspace template I hacked from enRoute. Removing Service-Component: * gets me back to the desired OSGi Annotations.

Bryan

Raymond Auge

Aug 17, 2016, 10:50:27 AM8/17/16
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Also don't forget that as of bnd 3.0 or 3.1 (I don't recall which specifically) the default for -dsannotations was set to * so unless there's a really specific reason to set it, I'd just ignore or even remove that part of the GUI just for simplicity.

- Ray

Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)