[OSGi-general] Bundle bootstrapping

Dan Gravell

Sep 27, 2016, 10:08:41 AM9/27/16
to bndtools-users
I wondered if someone could help me with the best way of structuring my bundle "layout". Sorry, this is a general OSGi question.

My application is a self hosted server that runs Felix which then runs a "bootstrap bundle" from bundle/ which in term adds a repository to felix.bundlerepository.RepositoryAdmin (I think I'm very behind the times) which is in a well-known location in the installation - app-bundle/ . All the bundles in there are then started transiently to prevent them starting automatically on the next restart.

The reason I do it this way is because I have to restart the JVM when code is updated; some components in my server do not deal well with bundle restarting (threads left etc). It is too much work to fix this.

A problem I have had is where I have updated the "bootstrap bundle". If this is done by in-app update then the new version is never used, because it does not get copied to bundle/ . If it is done by installing a new version of the software manually, it is added in addition to the previous version of the bundle, both run, and problems result.

I think I'm going about this totally wrong and I wondered if there have been any developments in the past four years since I implemented this?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Gravell

Sep 29, 2016, 11:45:36 AM9/29/16
to bndtools-users
Ok, failing this... anyone know of a place where general OSGi stuff like this can be discussed? The main mailing list appears dead. The Felix mailing list used to be pretty good but it appears low traffic these days...

BJ Hargrave

Sep 29, 2016, 11:47:22 AM9/29/16
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
osgi-dev is the main OSGi mailing list for technical discussion. Is that the list which you claim appears dead?

BJ

Dan Gravell

Sep 29, 2016, 11:57:48 AM9/29/16
to bndtools-users
It's called "osgi-dev". Convention is normally that "-dev" is for development of the noun preceeding it right? So I didn't even look in it - this is not about the development of OSGi, it's about its use.

When I last looked there was no "osgi-user" and so looked in the "interest" mailing list instead.

Thanks, I'll have a double check on -dev.

Dan