Suggestion for small change in run bnd source presentation

Paul F Fraser

Oct 2, 2015, 7:24:15 PM10/2/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
While venturing into the wonderful world of OSGi subsystems, a small inconvenience emerged.
The quotes around runbundles versions in the run bnd source are single quotes.

John Ross commented in the Aries list:-
The syntax only allows for double quotes. The reason double quotes are necessary for the version
range value is because they escape the contained comma which typically separates clauses. The
implementation thinks that com.google.gwt.thirdparty.guava;version='[16.0.1 is the first clause and
16.0.2)' the second. The path (i.e. everything before the parameters) of a Subsystem-Content clause
must follow the symbolic name syntax, which 16.0.2)' does not.

If the bndtools run file used double quotes, I would be able to lift the runbundles out of the
source without having to change the quotes for the subsystem esa file.

Am I being lazy? A simple find and replace fixes the problem.

Paul Fraser

Peter Kriens

Oct 5, 2015, 4:05:01 AM10/5/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
bnd source files support double AND single quotes. bnd always generates double quotes.

Kind regards,

Peter Kriens

Paul F Fraser

Oct 5, 2015, 5:44:48 AM10/5/15
On 5/10/2015 7:04 PM, Peter Kriens wrote:
> bnd source files support double AND single quotes. bnd always generates double quotes.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Peter Kriens

Hi Peter,

This is the source I was talking about..
From the source tab of a run.bndrun file in bndtools 3.

-runbundles: \
ch.qos.logback.classic;version='[1.1.2,1.1.3)',\
ch.qos.logback.core;version='[1.1.2,1.1.3)',\
org.apache.aries.subsystem.api;version='[2.0.2,2.0.3)',\
org.apache.aries.subsystem.core;version='[2.0.2,2.0.3)',\
org.apache.aries.util;version='[1.1.0,1.1.1)',\
org.apache.felix.configadmin;version='[1.8.8,1.8.9)',\
org.apache.felix.coordinator;version='[1.0.0,1.0.1)',\
org.apache.felix.gogo.command;version='[0.14.0,0.14.1)',\
org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime;version='[0.16.2,0.16.3)',\
org.apache.felix.gogo.shell;version='[0.10.0,0.10.1)',\
org.eclipse.equinox.region;version='[1.1.0,1.1.1)',\
slf4j.api;version='[1.7.12,1.7.13)',\
slf4j.simple;version='[1.7.12,1.7.13)'

Perhaps my email subject was misleading.

Regards

Paul

Neil Bartlett

Oct 5, 2015, 5:58:24 AM10/5/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
So this is the output of doing a resolve operation in Bndtools… I’m sure we can change this to a double quote.

For your use case it would be more interesting to have an Exporter to export a bndrun as an ESA.

Neil

Paul F Fraser

Oct 5, 2015, 6:16:17 AM10/5/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

On 5/10/2015 8:58 PM, Neil Bartlett wrote:
> So this is the output of doing a resolve operation in Bndtools… I’m sure we can change this to a double quote.
>
> For your use case it would be more interesting to have an Exporter to export a bndrun as an ESA.

Absolutely, are you volunteering? :)

Using bndtools for subsystem work at present is not too bad, but changing a few minor things like
this might help the take up of subsystems.

Paul

Neil Bartlett

Oct 5, 2015, 6:27:14 AM10/5/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com

> On 5 Oct 2015, at 11:16, Paul F Fraser <pa...@a2zliving.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Neil,
>
> On 5/10/2015 8:58 PM, Neil Bartlett wrote:
>> So this is the output of doing a resolve operation in Bndtools… I’m sure we can change this to a double quote.
>>
>> For your use case it would be more interesting to have an Exporter to export a bndrun as an ESA.
>>

> Absolutely, are you volunteering? :)

Which part? The single to double quote, I think I can handle. The exporter… nope sorry. That’s not my itch to scratch.

Neil

> Using bndtools for subsystem work at present is not too bad, but changing a few minor things like this might help the take up of subsystems.
>
> Paul

Paul F Fraser

Oct 5, 2015, 7:12:07 AM10/5/15
On 5/10/2015 9:26 PM, Neil Bartlett wrote:
>> On 5 Oct 2015, at 11:16, Paul F Fraser <pa...@a2zliving.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> On 5/10/2015 8:58 PM, Neil Bartlett wrote:
>>> So this is the output of doing a resolve operation in Bndtools… I’m sure we can change this to a double quote.
>>>
>>> For your use case it would be more interesting to have an Exporter to export a bndrun as an ESA.
>>>
>> Absolutely, are you volunteering? :)
> Which part? The single to double quote, I think I can handle. The exporter… nope sorry. That’s not my itch to scratch.
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

The double quotes would be nice, but as I said, perhaps I am being a bit lazy. Find and replace is
needed any way to remove the line continuation back slash and fix the spacing in the subsystem manifest.

Paul

Peter Kriens

Oct 5, 2015, 8:12:15 AM10/5/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
I agree this should be an exporter. I’ve got the complete infra-structure setup to resolve against a ‘distro’. I can make the distro with the remote agent, and I’ve created a plugin to do the exporter.

Just the small detail of writing the exporters :-(

Kind regards,

Peter Kriens