repository.xml increment value

Przemysław Wesołek

Jan 2, 2017, 12:28:18 PM1/2/17
to bndtools-users
Hello,

In my workspace I commit Local and Release repos in to Git. However, each of working copies insists of overwriting the repository's index.xml (and, consequently, index.xml.sha), with its own value of <repository>'s "increment" attribute, and the files are always out-of-sync with Git, e.g.:

WS1:
<repository increment="1478083734000" name="Local"  xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/repository/v1.0.0">

WS2:
<repository increment="1478117615000" name="Local" xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/repository/v1.0.0">

What is the source of this persistence in "increment" and how can I force Bndtools not to overwrite the file all the time (or at least to agree about the timestamp)?

Przemek

Timothy Ward

Jan 3, 2017, 4:45:56 AM1/3/17
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What version of bndtools are you using? There was some work done to fix this in the past, which I believe should be in 3.3…

Regards,

Tim

Przemysław Wesołek

Jan 3, 2017, 5:48:36 AM1/3/17
to bndtools-users
My current setup (work) is 3.4.0.DEV. The other one (home) is either 3.4.0.DEV also, or 3.3, but certainly not below.

Przemek

Przemysław Wesołek

Apr 26, 2017, 6:27:18 PM4/26/17
to bndtools-users
OK, I found the source of difference here.

The value of increment attribute is the modification time of the most recently modified bundle in my "Local" repository. I keep its content in git, and as git doesn't track the metadata (like modification time), the clone or update on new computer causes the timestamps to differ and index.xml change.

Any way to handle this annoyance other than manually setting modification time of the libraries (e.g. with git-restore-mtime from https://github.com/MestreLion/git-tools)?

BJ Hargrave

Apr 26, 2017, 6:37:57 PM4/26/17
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
If you keep the repository in Git, why use (what I assume is) a LocalIndexRepo? Better to use a fixed index repo like OSGiRepository or a maven style repo.

I think you see where git and LocalIndexRepo conflict.

BJ

Przemysław Wesołek

Apr 26, 2017, 7:08:29 PM4/26/17
to bndtools-users
I'm not sure, this is how it was setup in enRoute workspace, which I used as a starting point two years ago. The same for Release repo.

In Local I keep some bundles for annotation processing, so I can easily point them with workspace-relative paths in Eclipse APT Factory config. I was using "Release"  for publishing stable bundles from Bndtools and for stable, version product snapshots (via bndrun resolution). I know it might not be optimal, but that's what I learned from tutorials. :)