Followup from tonight's meeting, and next meeting

James Curbo

May 13, 2014, 11:56:24 PM5/13/14
to bmor...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thanks to those who came to the meetup tonight. I think we all had a
good time and learned a lot from Joseph's talk. I told folks I'd send
out a few links, so here we go:

First, Joseph's talk is located on github here:

https://github.com/tel/env-parser-talk

Once we have the video from Geoff, I'll send out a link.

Secondly, I was talking to some folks (Jeremy and Boris) about what I
think is an awesome resource for digging into Haskell. @bitemyapp on
Twitter maintains this Learning Haskell Guide:

https://gist.github.com/bitemyapp/8739525

It's kind of a 'meta-guide' as it points to a lot of different
resources. However, I like his recommendation of Brent Yorgey's course
for beginners - I think I'm going to plow through it as a refresher.

Thirdly, regarding our next meeting. I've set up a skeletal Meetup.com
event for June 3:

http://www.meetup.com/Baltimore-Haskell-Users-Group/events/180143652/

No topic just yet, but we'll get something in there later. Feel free to
send in suggestions.

Fourthly and finally, just a note about the DC group. For the time
being, Geoff and I are going to keep separate Meetup.com groups, and
just collaborate to keep the meetings from running together. We were
talking about the possibility of changing the mailing list/Google group
from Baltimore to Baltimore-DC - since we have a lot of the same folks
attending both, it might be good to share a communication medium. (plus,
more folks on the list = more talking, hopefully!) I'm sure we'll have
talks that occur at both groups (especially if members give the same
talk at both) but I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks again to nwf for hooking us up with the meeting space, and see
you guys in three weeks.

James