yum versus make

Jiří Sedláček

May 7, 2013, 9:54:34 AM5/7/13
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
What if there is a yum version of a package AND at the same time a compiled one? Looks like the yum version is preferred over the compiled one. Even though the building happened later.

Am I right? Is there a way to tweak this?

Rob Morin

May 7, 2013, 9:56:43 AM5/7/13
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
Yum packages might not have the latest and greatest new features or bug
fixes as fast as compiling from source.
But Yum makes for easy instal land updates. :)

Rob Morin
Montreal, Canada

The Lounge Sound - Music to drink by - Vegas Style!

http://www.theloungesound.ca

"You're not drunk until you can't lie on the floor without holding on"
Dean Martin

Richard Crowley

May 8, 2013, 10:09:26 PM5/8/13
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013, Rob Morin wrote:
Yum packages might not have the latest and greatest new features or bug fixes as fast as compiling from source.
But Yum makes for easy instal land updates. :)

Indeed package management is easier in a lot of ways than file management.  Blueprint is setup to understand your custom Yum repositories, too.

Richard Crowley

May 8, 2013, 10:12:34 PM5/8/13
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013, Jiří Sedláček wrote:
What if there is a yum version of a package AND at the same time a compiled one? Looks like the yum version is preferred over the compiled one. Even though the building happened later.

Am I right? Is there a way to tweak this?

The two are pretty independent, assuming everyone's following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (i.e. packages in /usr and make install in /usr/local), and possibly your PATH is all that controls which appears to "win."

Jiří Sedláček

May 13, 2013, 3:32:23 AM5/13/13
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
PATH is user dependent so I would have to run "blueprint create" for every "significant" user. That's perfectly fine and expected. Thank you.