Blueprint and --cfn option - not producing output

Michael Klatsky

Sep 15, 2012, 9:59:36 AM9/15/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
On several EC2 instances, I am doing the following:

blueprint create --cfn myserver, and then blueprint show --cfn myserver. There is no output. If I then do a blueprint show -P myserver, a proper puppet directory is created. Similarly for
-C (chef) and -S (shell script).

Is there something I am missing?

I am using python 2.7 and blueprint v 3.4.0

Thanks for any help.

Richard Crowley

Sep 20, 2012, 8:52:59 PM9/20/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
It should create NAME.json in the current working directory. Does it
not even do that?

Within your Python path wherever Blueprint is installed, does
blueprint/frontend/cfn.json exist?

I'm not sure what's going on, if I'm being honest. Hope this gets you closer,

Richard

Michael Klatsky

Nov 14, 2012, 10:56:20 AM11/14/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
Finally returning to this.  Hate when I return to a problem and I find the most relevant search response is my own question :)

I have the following in my python path:

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueprint/frontend/cfn.pyc
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueprint/frontend/cfn.py

(along with puppet, sh, chef).

I'm quite puzzled still.

Michael Klatsky

Nov 14, 2012, 10:58:11 AM11/14/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
Also I not the following (list of blueprint modules):

Here is a list of matching modules.  Enter any module name to get more help.

blueprint
blueprint.backend - Every backend provider defines a function named as the module that contains
blueprint.backend.apt - Search for `apt` packages to include in the blueprint.
blueprint.backend.files - Search for configuration files to include in the blueprint.
blueprint.backend.gem - Search for Ruby gems to include in the blueprint.
blueprint.backend.npm - Search for npm packages to include in the blueprint.  This assumes that
blueprint.backend.php - Search for PEAR/PECL packages to include in the blueprint.
blueprint.backend.pypi - Search for Python packages to include in the blueprint.
blueprint.backend.sources - Search for software built from source to include in the blueprint as a tarball.
blueprint.backend.yum - Search for `yum` packages to include in the blueprint.
blueprint.cli - Instantiate Blueprint objects for the command-line tools.  Use of these
blueprint.context_managers
blueprint.deps
blueprint.frontend - Every frontend provider defines a function named as the module that contains
blueprint.frontend.cfn - AWS CloudFormation template generator.
blueprint.frontend.chef - Chef code generator.
blueprint.frontend.puppet - Puppet code generator.
blueprint.frontend.sh - Shell code generator.
blueprint.git
blueprint.interactive - Interactively walk blueprints.
blueprint.io.http
blueprint.managers - Managers are callable strings that can generate the commands needed by
blueprint.rules
blueprint.services - Search harder for service dependencies.  The APT, Yum, and files backends
blueprint.util - Utility functions.
blueprint.walk - Implementation of the blueprint walking algorithm from `blueprint`(5).

Richard Crowley

Nov 14, 2012, 12:42:41 PM11/14/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
>>> Within your Python path wherever Blueprint is installed, does
>>> blueprint/frontend/cfn.json exist?

Does blueprint/frontend/cfn.json exist as in
<https://github.com/devstructure/blueprint/blob/master/blueprint/frontend/cfn.json>?

Michael Klatsky

Nov 14, 2012, 12:58:01 PM11/14/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
No- there is no cfn.json file.

FWIW- my system is Ubuntu 12.04, and blueprint was installed using pip (pip was installed via apt-get install pip).

MK

Richard Crowley

Nov 14, 2012, 1:07:20 PM11/14/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
> No- there is no cfn.json file.
>
> FWIW- my system is Ubuntu 12.04, and blueprint was installed using pip (pip
> was installed via apt-get install pip).

Please create blueprint/frontend/cfn.json in the appropriate location
with <https://github.com/devstructure/blueprint/blob/master/blueprint/frontend/cfn.json>
as its contents and let me know that it works.

I thought cfn.json was being included in Python packages but it
appears there is (now) a bug in packaging Blueprint itself. I'll look
into it. In the meantime, consider installing via APT
<http://devstructure.com/blueprint/#installation>.

Richard

Michael Klatsky

Nov 14, 2012, 1:36:43 PM11/14/12
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com

<snip>

I thought cfn.json was being included in Python packages but it
appears there is (now) a bug in packaging Blueprint itself.  I'll look
into it.  In the meantime, consider installing via APT
<http://devstructure.com/blueprint/#installation>.

Richard

I installed the deb package and it now works correctly. Thanks so much for your quick help!

MK