My first attempt at using Blueprint gives the error: UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec...

aspi

Jun 28, 2013, 11:03:50 AM6/28/13
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to create a shell script from a blueprint but I get a unicode error.  I thought that was a bugfix from some time ago.

the output is:
# blueprint show -S piddles
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/blueprint-show", line 63, in <module>
    filename = getattr(b, options.generate)(options.relaxed).dumpf()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/blueprint/frontend/sh.py", line 333, in dumpf
    f.write('{0}\n'.format(out))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/codecs.py", line 691, in write
    return self.writer.write(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/codecs.py", line 351, in write
    data, consumed = self.encode(object, self.errors)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xcc in position 7080: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm not sure which version of Blueprint I have. I simply used the official .deb package.  I also tried installing/running Blueprint from the git repro but in that case I got a lot of dpkg-query errors: ... '  ' is an illegal filename might not be empty.

Blueprint did output the bootstrap.sh script but I can't tell if it truncated or not?

I tried to find some one on freenode #devstructure but nobody's home. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,
-aspi

Sam

Oct 16, 2013, 3:52:34 AM10/16/13
to bluepri...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing the same thing - did you ever find a way round this?