Brew Store Run

Skip to the first unread message

Patrick Sundberg

4 Feb 2008, 2:07:01 pm04/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
All,

I'm going to be staying in St.Cloud after work on Wednesday for the Cloudy Town Brewers meeting.  I'm (of course) stopping by Minco for some homebrew supplies.  If anyone needs anything, please email me and I'll be glad to pick stuff up for you.

He's got a pretty good selection of homebrew stuff, and I always like to shop local, when possible.

Let me know,
Patrick

Halverson, Marc

4 Feb 2008, 5:48:26 pm04/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
could get the needed items for my oatmeal stout if you
think they will have it.

I will pull the recipe if you want.

will brew feb 17. shall i prep?

andylarson

4 Feb 2008, 9:25:55 pm04/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
The Kolsch was top notch.

The carbonation was a bit light but the taste etc was great.

Joy gave it two thumbs up and she is a tough judge.

Thanks for the treat.

Andy

Marc Halverson

5 Feb 2008, 4:55:53 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

Thanks for the rating. The kolsch prior to this one was better,mustave been
the different hops. Just opened the first one myself last week. The Mexican
beers were a true chore to consume. The oatmeal stout I am almost out of
and that was a winner.

The bourbon/vanilla porter I just got from Patrick, Jesse and I had shared a
carboy and Patrick put it in bottles for me. The flavored beers are perhaps
bit strong a flavor for me. Oatmeal stout, Dark irish stout and similar are
the ones I go for, with changes over to kolsch.

Stayed up late Sunday to do my first all grain wheat, It is working away in
the carboy.
There sure is a good feeling sitting back and watching the carboy do it's
thing.

I am at a point where I would like to buy a couple 50 lb bags of grains,
hulls, etc so when I have a spare few hours I can just jump on it without
bothering Patrick , you or other members for ingrediants all the time..

Kolsch will be the first one to stock up on. Will try and have a list for
the next run to Northen or Midwest. Will need to work hard to use it up in a
year. 10 lbs per brew, 50 lbs two different grains, a true labor of love.

The 40th anniversary mill from my wife is a winner, used it for the all
wheat, does not make the grains to powder like.

Joe and Dawn had given me a book about the history of brewing, pyrimids were
built with beer power, also a complete history of the US industry. It is
ready to pass on if sitting by your pool and needs a read.

Later, Marc

Marc Halverson

5 Feb 2008, 5:19:11 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Patrick,

Oatmeal stout ingredients..

Would St. Cloud have these, if so please pick up.  Marc

The mesh bag kept the flaked hops out of the siphon but they were a mess to get out of the bag at clean up.

The used grains went into the trash in the garage, no more dogs eating them outside.

Reg,

Do you have any Cascade hops to sell?

Would like to do an oatmeal stout Sunday the 17th.

Marc

Reply from Patrick…I know I have the pale malt.

Flaked oats = Old fashioned Quaker oats (not instant)

I have chocolate malt.

Don't have roasted barley and I don't think I have enough Crystal (aka Carmel) 120L

I have the yeast

The cascade hops might be a bit difficult to find at this time.  You might ask if anyone in the club has some to spare, or you may end up having to substitute.  I think Reg might have some, or at least a suitable substitute.

Jesse Grant

5 Feb 2008, 6:21:36 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I too receved 2 books for christmas. Amboyious brew and nother one that has a story but also lots o pics.

Marc Halverson

5 Feb 2008, 8:32:01 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com

Jesse,

Perhaps I may check one of them out from the Grant Library next Jan. for
pool reading.

Marc

Jesse Grant

5 Feb 2008, 8:46:16 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I would vote to start the beer swap sooner than our next big brew day.
With the 12 cases in my basement some of it is going to start getting
old faster than I can consume by myself. I am going to take some to
Pat's and drop it off hopefully this week. Anybody else want to do that
just let everybody know.

Jesse Grant
Jim's Electric Company Inc.
8296 Industrial Park Road
Baxter, MN 56425

Baxter (218) 828-0250
Cross Lake (218) 692-2033
Little Falls (218) 632-2327
Fax (218) 828-4531
Cell (218) 820-9775
jes...@jimselectric.com

Patrick Sundberg

5 Feb 2008, 8:53:02 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I had a good score on books for Christmas as well.  I picked up Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainachef and John Palmer.  It has at least one award winning recipie for every BJCP style.  It's my new brewing bible.  I also got Designing Great Beer by Randy Mosher and Land of Amber Water by Doug Hoverson (a history of brewing in MN).  I'm still waiting on my first issue of beeradvocate magazine as well.

and that's just the least of my very brewing Christmas!  Whoo hoo!

Jesse/Dan,  Do you have any more straight-sided sankeys for sale?

Patrick Sundberg

5 Feb 2008, 9:06:58 am05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Good idea Jesse!  If anyone else would like to participate in the beer swap, let me know beforehand or bring a six pack to the meeting.
This email is the official notice that for EVERY Blue Ox Brewers Society event, gathering or any casual meeting, the SIX PACK SWAP will always be available.

The rules for the swap are simple.  Bring a six pack of 12 oz (or similar) bottles, homebrew or commercial, and leave with a mixed six pack of bottles.
Please mark, label, or somehow identify the bottles with the brew and your name.
I would encourage you to include a printout of the recipie.  Please include a copy for each bottle as they may get separated in the swap.

Halverson, Marc

5 Feb 2008, 5:39:21 pm05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Jesse,

Is it any good, must not be cause you are not drinking it.
Bottle a day, maybe share some with Jim after work. Yes I
will try some of it. I am ok on Kolsch but out of stout.
Wheat is in the primary.

Will have spare time in Mpls. St. Paul on April 2 to hit
Northern for some supplies if any needed.. Will be
starting with sacks of grains. Long way off but I need to
plan.

Is the first day of the NW Sports Show.

Marc

Halverson, Marc

5 Feb 2008, 5:49:47 pm05/02/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
The MN history one I would enjoy reading this summer in
the hammock on my deck, will call in July.

Marc

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:53:02 -0600