January 2008 Meeting Recap

Patrick Sundberg

Jan 14, 2008, 11:03:05 PM1/14/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Well, well, well.  Another year has begun.  Have you made your new year's brewing resolutions yet?

One of mine is to brew more beer this year.  Go figure, right?  I'm going to try to top my 15 batches from 2007.  With the baby coming, I'm sure that'll be a challenge!
My next resolution is to grow the club.  I know there's more homebrewers in the area, we just need to reach out to them.
Third, and final, homebrew resolution is to further develop my palate by volunteering at local competitions.

So, what are your New Year's Homebrew resolutions?

And now on to the meat and potatoes...
We had three and a half members at the January meeting.  Why the half?  I guess Jesse H. showed up a half hour early, didn't see anyone, and with Matty's as packed as it usually is, decided to take off.  Too bad for him, because we had some excellent tastings!!!
Dan had a cranberry wheat which was just fantastic!  I'm pushing him to enter in at LEAST the Cloudy Town Brewers March Mashness this year.  I'm going to try to get him to go for the Great Northern Brew Ha-Ha as well.  I had my Windchill IPA there and a Blonde Ale.  I don't like to brag, so I'll say they were mediocre at best.  The Blonde was my first experience with Belgian yeast and I was very pleased with the result.  Dan and Jesse had their Whiskey Vanilla Imperial Porter, which again, was fantastic.  I hope everyone gets to try their twist on our Big Brew Day.

What?  Was there any club business discussed, you ask?
Not any more than usual, is my reply.  I stopped by the Cloudy Town Brewers for their January meeting.  I'm officially dubbing them our "Sister Club" whether they like it or not.  Since this hobby is primarily male-dominated, perhaps "Brother Club" might be more appropriate, although I would bet we're more like the crazy cousin that you always get stuck next to at the table at Christmas time.  Anyway, I digress...  They're gearing up for their March Mashness.  I would encourage anyone interested to send a few bottles down for their competition.  Our own Joel Carlson placed last year, so let's show them what we've got this year!  If you're available, I'd encourage anyone who's interested to go down for the day and volunteer to steward or judge.  I'm sure it'll be a great time.  I know you'll want to be there at the awards ceremony when my Windchill IPA takes first, right?  I thought so.
Ok, a bit long winded here...  They also mentioned getting a bus trip to the cities organized, but with the competition coming up, that's where their focus will be until that's over.
In other local happenings, the deadline has passed to get entries in for the Upper Mississippi Mash Out, but the Great Northern Brew Ha- Ha is still open!  Entries will be accepted until the 28th.  If anyone's interested in entering, they are doing a pickup at the Mash Out, so there's no need to pay for shipping.  I'll be going to UMMO, so I'm willing to hand-deliver the entries.  A special note, there's a special category for new entrants!  If this is your first time entering a competition, you'll go up against all of the other first-timers for a special award!

Hey, Patrick!  I heard something about another brew day!  What gives?
Ok, here's the skinny.  Our next big brew day will be SUNDAY, MARCH 16TH.  Mark your calendars, clean out your carboys, and get ready for a great time!  Guaranteed more fun than the last one!*  There will be brewing, grilling, tasting, and all around misbehavin'.  I'm extending the invitation to the Cloudy Town Brewers as well, so there may be some new faces.

There will be more info to follow on the details, but it will be an afternoon event, starting early afternoon, extending into early evening.  I'll have the grill set up.  Bring your own meat to grill, extras to share are encouraged, but not required.  As I said, more info to follow, but SAVE THE DATE!

Well, the second Thursday of February would put us ON VALENTINES DAY.  I'm not going to try to fight with that one, so we'll move it up a day.  WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH, at 7:00 PM
I'm going to try to talk to to folks at the Last Turn, otherwise, the Eclectic will be the alternate, unless you hear otherwise.
As always, feel free to give me a call the day of, if you have any doubts.  820-7829

Crap, I had a lot to say.

Keep Brewing!

Patrick

*or your money back

Halverson, Marc

Jan 15, 2008, 12:11:18 PM1/15/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
good recap. brew day should work for me, esp. the
sunday.

we could have the feb meeting at the shop on the 13th, you
all could make bouquests for del. on the
14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, we work extememly late those last few nights.
will plan on the march meeting.
85 and sunny marc

>*SUNDAY, MARCH 16TH*.

Jesse Grant

Mar 2, 2008, 10:30:53 PM3/2/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
I have 2 DIRTY cases for you. Feeling any better?

Jesse Grant
Jim's Electric Company Inc.
8296 Industrial Park Road
Baxter, MN 56425