new guy in baxter

Ron & Beth Hensel

Jan 30, 2008, 11:05:28 PM1/30/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
HI every one this hobby is very addicting, I look forward to talking
with all of you and asking a bunch of questions. I just got into this
after the first of the year. I bought a kit from midwest brewers,
seems like i order something new every week.i currently have the
midwest extract autumn amber ale in the secondary( bottle this
weekend?) and their octane ipa in primary. I just hope these turn out
drinkable, if it is good bonus! I am looking for ideas on my next
extract batch, i am thinking a porter or a killians clone, any ideas
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron Hensel
218 232 1149

Marc Halverson

Jan 31, 2008, 6:13:00 AM1/31/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Ron,

Now I am not the newest home brewer.

The members are a great resource for someone just starting a great hobby
which you can consume after the fun of the brewing.

Have been doing the all grains for the past few months which is a nice step
forward and I still prefer bottles over kegging, mostly for transportation
reasons.

Just back from vacation and have had my first bottle of a Kolsch I bottled
at Christmas. My wife kind of gave me a puzzled look when she tasted the
Kolsch at dinner last night, not sure what that was all about. It will
require more tasting on my part.

Andy, did you try the Kolsch samples yet? Comments...

Your questions will be answered if you send them here or call one of the
members.

Try and attend the brew days or meetings.

Later, Marc
__o __o __o __o __o
_`\<,_ _`\<,_ _`\<,_ _`\<,_ _`\<,_
(_)/ (_) (_)/ (_) (_)/ (_) (_)/ (_) (_)/ (_)
Marc Halverson
mjha...@brainerd.net or
marc.ha...@brainerdfloral.com

winmail.dat

Patrick Sundberg

Jan 31, 2008, 6:33:40 AM1/31/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Again, welcome, Ron!
I completely understand about the ordering every week.  I find that homebrewing is quite the addictive hobby.  There are plenty of gadgets that are fun to use in the brewing process.
For a recommendation on what to brew next...  Brew what you want!  If you've tried a commercial beer that you particularly like, try something similar.  Your idea of doing a porter or irish red would give you a good variety.

Welcome to the obsession,
Patrick

Jesse Grant

Jan 31, 2008, 6:49:07 AM1/31/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Very nice to meet you Ron. I to took up the hobby back in May and
brewed my 1st batch over Memorial day last year. As of now I have 12
cases of home brew in my basement ready to drink. Sounds like you might
be as dedicated alcoholic as I am. Feel free to give me a call some
time and talk beer. My cell is the best. Are you new to the area or
just brewing?

Jesse Grant
Jim's Electric Company Inc.
8296 Industrial Park Road
Baxter, MN 56425

Baxter (218) 828-0250
Cross Lake (218) 692-2033
Little Falls (218) 632-2327
Fax (218) 828-4531
Cell (218) 820-9775
jes...@jimselectric.com

Jan 31, 2008, 8:48:57 AM1/31/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Come on, Jesse!  Alcoholics go to meetings.  We're aficionados!

rbhe...@charter.net

Jan 31, 2008, 8:46:27 PM1/31/08
to Blue Ox Brewers Society
Thanks guys for the welcome! Jesse, my wife and i moved to the
brainerd baxter area about 15 years ago , i am an electrician and
currently work for Holden electric i have worked for a few contractors
inthe area but never Jims. We have three kids who like to help with
the homebrew. In this group do all of you guys do all grain or do some
of you still do extract? also i like the idea of 12 cases of beer
that are ready drink Thanks again guys
Ron

On Jan 31, 7:48 am, "Patrick Sundberg" <patrick.sundb...@gmail.com>

Marc Halverson

Jan 31, 2008, 9:16:40 PM1/31/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
He works for a good electrical contractor...

Sorry Jesse. Could not pass that up.

Marc

Jesse Grant

Feb 1, 2008, 5:46:44 AM2/1/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Yeah yeah. Beer is the equalixer

Patrick Sundberg

Feb 1, 2008, 10:01:37 AM2/1/08
to blueox...@googlegroups.com
Ron,
We have some of each.  I've been doing all grain since this past summer.  I think Jesse G and Dan have been doing all grain for about the same time.  Marc's got a couple all grain batches under his belt.  Jesse H is working with extract and Joe has delved into beer with an extract batch (or a few??).  Joe comes from the "dark side" - he makes wine as well.  (sorry Joe, just had to get a friendly jab in there)

So, really, we've got quite a variety.  I may be looking at throwing together a few extract batches in the future.  I've got a little one on the way and you just can't beat extract for a quick brew day!

Hope to see you around at some of the meetings and events!

Patrick