Bluegriffon and Mediaelement playlist

ryan

Dec 26, 2014, 8:50:51 PM12/26/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
I' just re-wrote my demo page - I'm a musician - with Bluegriffon, the MediaElement player, and the Mep-Feature-Playlist script (https://github.com/duozersk/mep-feature-playlist).     I used to have it as a WMP ActiveX control, but I figured should make it something for everyone to easily view cross-platform so I changed.

The player works fine but there are the funny little icons scattered all over the page that I can't find in my source.  I don't know where they're coming from and where they could be located.  They show up in Firefox or IE both.   You can see for yourself here:  http://ryansheeler.com/demo.html

Feel free to look at the source in the browser.   Do you see those strange icons scattered about?   I wondered if it's  Bluegriffon issue or not?
-ryan

Joeg

Dec 27, 2014, 8:10:55 AM12/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

You have characters, mainly inside blank paragraphs, that do not map to utf-coding.

Viewing your source in BlueGriffon shows the illegal characters and where they are. Use Replace to find '�' and replace with '  ' (a non-breaking space) if you need the empty paragraphs or just delete them manually.

ryan

Dec 27, 2014, 11:43:09 AM12/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that.  What caused that. Is it a setting I overlooked somewhere?

ryan

Dec 27, 2014, 11:52:01 AM12/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Oh and also... why don't the '�' characters show up in my Bluegriffon editor screen when I'm in wysiwig mode?

Greg Chapman

Dec 27, 2014, 12:40:05 PM12/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

On 27 Dec 14 16:52 ryan <ryans...@gmail.com> said:
> Oh and also... why don't the ' ' characters show up in my
> Bluegriffon editor screen when I'm in wysiwig mode?

Besides what JoeG has said, it could be because you've some poor code
in there that is confusing BlueGriffon.

Following the changes made since I first looked at the page the
W3C XHTML validator is now showing 18 errors.

I tried pasting your current source code into BlueGriffon and it
refused to switch back to WYSIWYG mode because of those errors.

Are you actually using BlueGriffon to edit the page at:
http://ryansheeler.com/demo.html
BlueGriffon would not leave you with empty <p></p> tags, so you
haven't done what JoeG suggested and replaced the rogue characters
with a non-breaking space.

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk
Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP
Still exploring BlueGriffon

Joeg

Dec 27, 2014, 4:53:11 PM12/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
I would further suggest that in 2015, you use HTML5 and not XHTML. It's so much easier!

ryan

Dec 30, 2014, 10:25:51 AM12/30/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
The file is partially left over from Dreamweaver CS4  so it's got some HTML3 and 4 in it.   (that's what the file was original built in, I moved it over to BlueGriffon so I could handle the HTML5 audio)