& in URLS

Roedy Green

Mar 20, 2013, 7:09:48 PM3/20/13
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Blue Griffon and CSE HTMLValidator disagree on & in URLs.

CSE HTML Validator wants them encoded as &
Blue Griffon converts & back to &.

I wonder if you two could hash this out and do it one way or the other consistently.

Joeg

Mar 21, 2013, 6:46:34 AM3/21/13
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can see, if you put an '&' into a URL, BlueGriffon encodes it, correctly, as &

If you put in & manually, it gets very confused with something like &

osarrat

Nov 26, 2014, 12:23:17 PM11/26/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for making this good HTML open source.

I'm facing a similar situation I would like to fix. We've started to use BlueGriffon as an editor for the templates of an HTML newsletter. We send this newsletter with the Drupal simplenews plugin, which use its own internal "tags" like "!confirm_unsubscribe_url", "!newsletter_url" for unsubscribe URL and so on, which will be replaced in the sending process. And after sending the first newsletter, we've realized that BlueGriffon has replaced our href="!confirm_unsubscribe_url" into href="%21confirm_unsubscribe_url", and thus prevent the sending engine to make the correct replacements.

Could you imagine in a future version of BlueGriffon an advanced option which would prevent such replacement in URL with HTML entities?
If you can, when could such a version be available?

osarrat

Dec 16, 2014, 6:34:00 AM12/16/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
up

Would anyone be interested by this subject of making  Blue Griffon useful for HTML newsletter templates ?

Best,

Olivier.

osarrat

Feb 5, 2015, 8:42:12 AM2/5/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We are writing a new issue of our newsletter, and we face the same problem than last time.
So I'm trying once again to bring attention to this issue of making  Blue Griffon useful for HTML newsletter templates.

Would anyone have an idea on how to solve the issue I've reported below?

Best,

Olivier.

Joeg

Feb 5, 2015, 10:23:24 AM2/5/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
osarrat, you don't use a hammer to put in screws, and a screwdriver is not good for putting in nails. What I am trying to say is that you should use the best tool for the job. BlueGriffon is not the right tool for the job you are trying to do and no matter how much you twist it and bend it, it's still not going to work. I don't know what platform you are on but, as a workaround, you could post-process the BlueGriffon HTML file with something like Komodo Edit and change all instance of %21 back into !, it's a simple global search and replace.

Olivier SARRAT

Feb 5, 2015, 12:33:33 PM2/5/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply !

I like the idea that one day, we could have an HTML editor able to easily modify a newsletter HTML template.
In the meantime, your solution is a very good one I should have thought by myself! Thanks for the suggestion I have already implemented.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "bluegriffon" group.

Dominik Lenné

Feb 6, 2015, 9:05:16 AM2/6/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com, olivier...@laposte.net
Hi,

what actually works too (I just tested it) is, to switch to code view, search and replace the %21 there with ctr r and save without switching back to wysiwyg view.

best wishes ...

Mitch Boo

Feb 27, 2017, 10:47:12 AM2/27/17
to bluegriffon
I hate to contradict, but the rules of encoding in an URL have nothing to do with HTML entities. In fact, putting & in an URL is a monstrosity that will only create havoc.

The proper encoding is actually %26, so one would do http://john%26marsha.com.

I have been trying to explain for the longest time that in links and URLs, & should actually not be substituted with & because it throws off and ruins URLs with parameters, such as

It is unfortunate nobody seems to understand.

BlueGriffon is a fantastic piece of programmation, but that blemish is quite unfortunate, because it precludes a good number of professional applications.

MitchBoo