Once again command-line handler not being used!

Philip Goddard

Oct 25, 2017, 11:11:06 AM10/25/17
to bluegriffon
This is frustrating. While I welcome new versions, I do wish they would not each revert to previous deficient behaviour and then need fixing again! Suddenly BG is almost useless to me, because I cannot get BG to open pages that are passed to it either from the 'Open With' add-on in Pale Moon or with my 'Open With BlueGriffon' Explorer context menu entry. Also, once again drag & drop of pages from Explorer isn't working. I had it all working fine with the previous version, but this v. 2.4 has dropped me back to 'square one' of unusability!

I tried looking through the about:config options but didn't see anything obvious while carefully scrolling through entries containing 'open' and then 'load'.

I'd most appreciate a fix, or a pointer to what setting needs to be changed for BG to function properly. If it is a matter of a setting that needs to be changed, this really does need to be made a program default, so that updating the program doesn't make it unusable till one has found the requisite setting to change.

-- Many thanks,
Philip

William Cole

Oct 25, 2017, 3:54:57 PM10/25/17
to bluegriffon
Will second that request.  I use BG exclusively within an application that passes command line to BG to open a file.  It is now broken.

Philip Goddard

Oct 25, 2017, 4:00:14 PM10/25/17
to bluegriffon
I've now uninstalled the new version and reverted to 2.3.1 until this is fixed.

Luděk Brož

Oct 30, 2017, 1:00:21 PM10/30/17
to bluegriffon

Daniel Glazman

Oct 31, 2017, 4:01:28 AM10/31/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
I have a fix for that bug in hands. Expect a 2.4.2 soon (end of week or next week).

</Daniel>

Daniel Glazman

Nov 1, 2017, 4:10:34 AM11/1/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
This is now fixed on the trunk [1] for OS X and still needs to be tested
for Windows and Linux, hopefully today. Next release will have that fix.

[1]
https://github.com/therealglazou/bluegriffon/commit/fff6dac9e7ec8d8b8a4c1c831210b16f2550dc13

</Daniel>

Philip Goddard

Nov 1, 2017, 4:46:44 AM11/1/17
to bluegriffon

This is all greatly encouraging. Thank you greatly, Daniel.

I'll report back once I've tried the new version - hopefully with  glowing smile, or at least with helpful feedback! :-)

-- Philip

William Cole

Nov 16, 2017, 9:48:15 AM11/16/17
to bluegriffon

William Cole

Nov 16, 2017, 9:50:36 AM11/16/17
to bluegriffon
Sorry to report that 3.o of BG still has this problem.  It will open BG, but does not open the file that is passed to it.  I did revert to 2.3.1 again and all is well.  I wonder if this is something to do w/64 bits vs 32 bits as 2.3.1 is 32 bits and higher releases are 64 bit only.  Thanks.  Bill Cole

EC

Nov 16, 2017, 12:58:28 PM11/16/17
to bluegriffon
It's true... i am also frustrated with this dysfunctionality. Thanks    Emmanuel

EC

Nov 16, 2017, 1:01:15 PM11/16/17
to bluegriffon
This problem exist with the version 3

Daniel Glazman

Nov 17, 2017, 3:58:11 AM11/17/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Le 16/11/2017 à 18:58, EC a écrit :
> It's true... i am also frustrated with this dysfunctionality. Thanks
> Emmanuel

Holy cow, what the hell is going on there?!? It was working in the
alpha, the two betas and the RTM! Let me investigate please, and
thanks for the heads up.

</Daniel>

EC

Nov 17, 2017, 5:11:36 AM11/17/17
to bluegriffon
Merci !

William Cole

Nov 19, 2017, 11:55:03 AM11/19/17
to bluegriffon
Forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 10, current version.

Daniel Glazman

Nov 21, 2017, 10:31:11 AM11/21/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

Please try this 3.0.1:

http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/3.0.1

I think it not only fixes your command-line handler but
it also allows MULTIPLE file openings from Finder/File Explorer
on OS X and Linux. On Windows, it's complicated, I need to
tweak the registry for that so it's not ready yet.

Please let me know by direct email if this 3.0.1 works for you.
Thanks.

</Daniel>

Philip Goddard

Nov 21, 2017, 11:27:06 AM11/21/17
to bluegriffon
Many thanks, Daniel.

I've just installed and configured this 3.0.1 version, and the function really is now restored (in Win10x64 FCU, including using my Explorer context menu entry for BG to load multiple pages. Drag & drop from Explorer doesn't work, but I haven't had cause to use that, so it probably wouldn't be an issue for me, though I expect that for some people it could be important. Anyway, really nice to be able to use the new version now.

Incidentally, as usual the installation was a real pain up the backside, and I do wish this would get fixed, as I get this with each update nowadays. The installation itself appears to run okay, but then when I try to run the program it throws up that infamous Parsing Error message and exits. Each time I have to do a lot of faffing around, deleting the contents of the profile folder and then copying in most of the contents of a backup copy of the profile in order to have all my settings / extensions restored. There must be a simple way to stop that being necessary.

Many thanks again for a nice piece of work!

Philip

EC

Nov 27, 2017, 2:56:39 AM11/27/17
to bluegriffon
Thank You... its works again !

Emmanuel

William Cole

Nov 30, 2017, 2:46:58 PM11/30/17
to bluegriffon
Hello, I didn't check 3.0.1 right away as I understood that there was still work to on on the Windows platform.  However, I just installed 3.0.1 on a hunch, and voila!, it now opens the files that I'm passing to it.  Thank you very much for the fix.  Oh, I like that for dual screen the text is on the left and code on the right.  Feels more natural to me [I'm left-handed].

Bill Cole

Daniel Glazman

Dec 1, 2017, 3:21:14 AM12/1/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com, William Cole
Le 30/11/2017 à 20:46, William Cole a écrit :
> Hello, I didn't check 3.0.1 right away as I understood that there was
> still work to on on the Windows platform. However, I just installed
> 3.0.1 on a hunch, and voila!, it now opens the files that I'm passing to
> it. Thank you very much for the fix. Oh, I like that for dual screen
> the text is on the left and code on the right. Feels more natural to me
> [I'm left-handed].

That was more natural because of the rulers above so I switched
the two views.

</Daniel>