Inserting videos in v 2.3.1

Blukenator

Feb 28, 2017, 5:15:10 AM2/28/17
to bluegriffon
Just getting familiar with Blue Griffon.  I have limited web building experience (mostly Dreamweaver).  I'm building a very basic page to present a short movie, 560MB file size.  I used the 'insert video' tab and set the size parameters and selected the video.  It shows and plays, but without sound.  The speaker icon on the right of the play bar indicates no sound.  The file type is a .mov.  Is that not a good filetype for videos?  That's a pretty comma filetype.  Do I need to convert?  Thanks.

Greg Chapman

Feb 28, 2017, 6:10:24 AM2/28/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 27/02/17 23:37, Blukenator wrote:
> I used the 'insert video' tab and set the size parameters and selected
> the video. It shows and plays, but without sound. The speaker icon
> on the right of the play bar indicates no sound. The file type is a
> .mov. Is that not a good filetype for videos? That's a pretty comma
> filetype. Do I need to convert?

Definitely!

There's plenty of guidance on appropriate types on the web. this link is
as good as any:
https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

--
Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.co.uk

Blukenator

Feb 28, 2017, 1:49:44 PM2/28/17
to bluegriffon
Thanks Greg, I've seen your reply to others recommending this.  My issue is not with lack of sound anymore.  I converted my video to mp4 format and inserted it into my page in BlueGriffon.  it plays fine viewing the site on my Safari browser right from my mac. but when I upload it to my server and view the page the video shows up but will not play.  So I tried the code you recommended, and used it to replace everything BG created between the <video> markers.  I corrected the size and the link to the video file.  Now it won't even show in BG saying 'No video with supported format and MIME type found".  I didn't even bother to upload that page.  What does it take to get a simple video to play online?

The code you recommended that I tried is below.  I used an mp4 video format, not ogg. I thought this was all needed in HTML5.  BTW, I'm no web expert, but have a little experience.

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
  Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Greg Chapman

Feb 28, 2017, 3:31:48 PM2/28/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 28/02/17 18:49, Blukenator wrote:
> I converted my video to mp4 format and inserted it into my page in
> BlueGriffon. it plays fine viewing the site on my Safari browser
> right from my mac. but when I upload it to my server and view the page
> the video shows up but will not play.

This is beyond my level of competence, but I understand that the MP4
format is more a standard for a "wrapper" than a standard for the data
within the file.

I recall the first time I created an MP4 from my still camera, which
produced .avi files, I had a site visitor saying it wouldn't run on his
Mac. In his case it was sound that was missing. I had to play with the
various options for saving the saving the file before I came up with
something that worked for him (and me, then on Windows)

I can't remember what the settings were that worked. I've got to pass
this on to someone who knows more about video formats than I.

I don't think it will be a problem with the HTML that BlueGriffon is
generating. I suspect the MP4 file itself.

Blukenator

Feb 28, 2017, 4:59:24 PM2/28/17
to bluegriffon
Thanks again Greg.  It's working now, but is having problems downloading the file to my machine fast enough to watch with out the annoying pauses while it transfers data. I do have a high speed internet connection here. I think the browser is downloading the file and playing it simultaneously and what I need is for it to 'stream' the data.  I don't know how to make that happen or is is always happening?  I may not know what I'm talking about here!

Greg Chapman

Mar 3, 2017, 10:45:41 AM3/3/17
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The speed of download of the file depends on the route that the file
takes through all the servers it passes through and not just the last
hop from your ISP, so they may always be times when there's a traffic
overload somewhere that causes slow download to you.

I don't understand your statement "I think the browser is downloading
the file and playing it simultaneously and what I need is for it to
'stream' the data."

My definitions for the purposes of this answer:

Download - receive a file onto your machine and save it to disk

Stream - receive a file onto your machine and process a file by an
application

If you are using a <a> tag on the file the user will need to download
the file and then use some local application to play it after the
download is complete.

If you are using the <video> or <audio> tag the file will stream. The
point about streaming is that the browser should start to play the file
as soon as a viable portion has arrived - while the browser continues to
download the remainder of the file in the background.

The browser has to do a calculation, based on the size of the file and
the rate at which it is being received as to what proportion of the
files makes a viable amount. Sometimes the browser will get the
calculation wrong, especially if the download has become erratic. In
such cases play will pause as the browser runs out of file. It then
waits until a suitable proportion has been received for it attempts to
play the rest of the file.

From what you describe, it just sounds as if you happen to be
attempting to stream file file while the net is exceptionally busy
somewhere between your hosting service and your machine. It doesn't not
suggest that you have coded the page with the file incorrectly or done
anything wrong in BlueGriffon.

Greg