is bluegriffon dead?

Ivano Arrighetta

Dec 11, 2013, 7:29:50 AM12/11/13
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
i saw no updates to bluegriffon lately, is it dead?

Glen Starrett

Dec 12, 2013, 9:40:48 AM12/12/13
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
... Or maybe it is stable and doesn't require such frequent updates ...

Dominik Lenné

Dec 13, 2013, 6:03:36 AM12/13/13
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
I imagine the arduous and unrewarding task of honing and bug fixing will take a little while...

Thats why I imagined pay-for-bugfix-systems for open source software, with some micromoney-scheme....

Joeg

Dec 13, 2013, 7:52:51 AM12/13/13
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Maybe, Daniel is working away on a version 2.0?

Dominik Lenné

Jan 18, 2014, 6:25:17 AM1/18/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Or he got fed up with something. Or had a massive priority shift. Or ...

I suppose, that there are not many programmers out there capable and willing to join his team.

Marek Kopec

Feb 17, 2014, 8:45:55 AM2/17/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
No it's not. Problems with join cells in table are still there.

Edward Diener

Feb 27, 2014, 1:37:18 AM2/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:40:48 AM UTC-5, Glen Starrett wrote:
... Or maybe it is stable and doesn't require such frequent updates ...

I added a most serious bug involving BG fouling up line endings when used under Windows a number of months ago so BG is not "stable" for me. I am hoping to see an update that would make it more usable for me on Windows, since having to double check each time I modify a page with HexEdit is no fun.

I would gladly give Daniel a pay-pal like contribution if he would fix that bug and put out an updated version fairly soon with that fix. But I suspect that having a single developer responsible for a project as large as BG is not working out well.

Glen Starrett

Feb 27, 2014, 9:02:48 AM2/27/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Would be nice if we had some idea of what is going on.  I'm not sure when his last post here was, I can't recall the last time he was on or mentioned what he's working on.  I know from experience working for free on an OSS project gets old fast.  It's even worse if you're the only one doing it.

What is BG written in?  It looks like the source is JavaScript -- I see .js and .xul files from the small sampling I peeked at.

http://sources.disruptive-innovations.com/bluegriffon/trunk/base/content/bluegriffon/

Peter Payne

Feb 28, 2014, 9:54:48 AM2/28/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if the app is/would ever be open sourced. That's an interesting idea, since virtually all the other choices for HTML editing were written back when the Internet was young, and most are positively wretched to use today.

Peter Payne

Mar 1, 2014, 2:42:44 AM3/1/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Definitely. I've got a short list of bugs that I'd really love to see addressed. It's a fabulous app but just needs a bit of ongoing development.

Glen Starrett

Mar 4, 2014, 9:25:03 AM3/4/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

BG is open source: I posted a link to the source below, and after
posting I saw a document about build instructions etc. It's all
JavaScript by the look of it, with some XML for window layout (I'm
guessing there, but I see a reference to "XULrunner").

The BG Download page has a link to the instructions on how to download &
build the app.

Regards,

Glen Starrett

Jim Nantz

Nov 21, 2014, 10:08:20 PM11/21/14
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:29:50 AM UTC-7, Ivano Arrighetta wrote:
i saw no updates to bluegriffon lately, is it dead?

It might not have been dead in 2013, but a year later it sure seems like it.  I installed it on Kubuntu 14.  I get the following when I try to start it.

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity Location: chrome://bluegriffon/content/xul/bluegriffon.xul Line Number 63, Column 1:

Víctor Enrique Navarro Hoyos

Jan 17, 2015, 5:38:34 PM1/17/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
BlueGriffon is more alive than ever

Dominik Lenné

Jan 18, 2015, 7:11:15 AM1/18/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
I would wish, the developer team could grow in numbers. Unfortunately, i am absolutely not into the kind of code BG is written in.