more congratulations to Daniel

Garret Wilson

Dec 10, 2015, 9:28:30 PM12/10/15
to bluegriffon
I just wanted to send more congratulations to Daniel Glazman. Because of some of the bugs in BlueGriffon, I've been looking around for other editors. I mean really looking hard. I've even been considering non-WYSIWYG editors. The more I look, the more I appreciate what Daniel has done here. I have complaints about a lot of tiny things in BG, but overall no other editor even comes close to what BlueGriffon has.

The problem (and it is a huge problem) is that there are a few show-stopping bugs that I cannot live with. The bugs are continually ignored in the bug tracker and on this forum. The reason is clear: some of these bugs stem from code inside Gecko, and because of the doubt of the long-term viability of that project (and no doubt other obligations on his part), Daniel has expressly indicated that he doesn't have the time or motivation to track these bugs down.

So for my part I'm doing my best to figure out how to save BlueGriffon, for the sole reason that it's the closest thing to usable that currently exists (even though the blocker bugs make it unusable). I've been contacting developers trying to pay someone to fix these bugs, but apparently Gecko developers aren't falling out of every tree I shake. I've asked Daniel what I could pay him to look into these bugs, and he has ignored the question. (I can't hold it against him too much---believe me, I know what it's like to be busy.)

If nothing else, it looks like I may have to break down and learn XUL/Gecko and fix some of these bugs myself. But if anyone knows any XUL/Gecko developers who want a gig, send them my way and we can discuss what it would cost to get these bugs fixed.

I really hope to keep BlueGriffon alive, in some form or another. (We need to get it to a proper Git repository at some point, too, as Subversion isn't very amenable for branching and pull requests from other developers, etc.)

I welcome ideas. I'm still looking into this.

Garret

Daniel Glazman

Dec 11, 2015, 3:34:03 AM12/11/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
On 11/12/2015 03:28, Garret Wilson wrote:
> I just wanted to send more congratulations to Daniel Glazman. Because of
> some of the bugs in BlueGriffon, I've been looking around for other
> editors. I mean really looking hard. I've even been considering
> non-WYSIWYG editors. The more I look, the more I appreciate what Daniel
> has done here. I have complaints about a lot of tiny things in BG, but
> overall no other editor even comes close to what BlueGriffon has.

Thanks. I am aware of the bugs. Some of them are unfortunately not
in my hands since they're in Gecko. I must say the situation degraded
there.

> I've asked Daniel what I could pay him to look into these bugs, and he
> has ignored the question. (I can't hold it against him too
> much---believe me, I know what it's like to be busy.)

Hmmm. I've been quite busy lately, please tell me again your list
of blockers?

> If nothing else, it looks like I may have to break down and learn
> XUL/Gecko and fix some of these bugs myself. But if anyone knows any
> XUL/Gecko developers who want a gig, send them my way and we can discuss
> what it would cost to get these bugs fixed.
>
> I really hope to keep BlueGriffon alive, in some form or another. (We
> need to get it to a proper Git repository at some point, too, as
> Subversion isn't very amenable for branching and pull requests from
> other developers, etc.)

https://github.com/therealglazou/bluegriffon/tree/bluegriffon-ng

</Daniel>

Daniel Glazman

Dec 11, 2015, 3:39:01 AM12/11/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
By the way... I am still working on 1.8 add-ons, big issues there.
And I started a 2.0 effort. The whole UI will be revamped, modernized,
and large portions of code will be cleaned up, hence the major version.

</Daniel>

Dominik Lenné

Dec 11, 2015, 6:15:05 AM12/11/15
to bluegriffon
Cool!

Garret Wilson

Dec 12, 2015, 11:45:21 AM12/12/15
to bluegriffon
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 12:34:03 AM UTC-8, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> I've asked Daniel what I could pay him to look into these bugs, and he
> has ignored the question. (I can't hold it against him too
> much---believe me, I know what it's like to be busy.)

Hmmm. I've been quite busy lately, please tell me again your list
of blockers?

Bug 676 is absolutely killing me. I can't even open the file back into BlueGriffon!

Bug 628 is one that is completely being ignored, I suppose because you figure you can't fix it because it's in Gecko. This bug has languished for ages.

But upon re-reading the actual bug report filed, I'm not sure that this is really the bug that describes what I'm seeing. So I just filed Bug 680.

And there are lots of little issues I need fixed:
  • The keymap configuration easily gets (reproducibly) corrupted, as I've posted on this list.
  • Sometimes <br/> gets put inside a <pre> block instead of a newline.
  • Copy+paste sometimes winds up with arbitrary <span>s with a color specified.
  • There is no way to add a keymap to a link.

I haven't bothered filing bugs for these, because the bug reports I have file have basically been ignored, as have my threads about blocker issues such as Bug 676.

The point of this current thread here was not to criticize, but to congratulate on the job you've done this far, as in my investigations I've realized how far ahead BG is from the competition. But BG in its current form is unusable for my editors and translators, and something has to be done. As I said, if that means paying a Gecko developer, or learning XUL/Gecko myself, so be it.

Garret Wilson

Dec 12, 2015, 1:09:33 PM12/12/15
to bluegriffon
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 12:34:03 AM UTC-8, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> I really hope to keep BlueGriffon alive, in some form or another. (We
> need to get it to a proper Git repository at some point, too, as
> Subversion isn't very amenable for branching and pull requests from
> other developers, etc.)

https://github.com/therealglazou/bluegriffon/tree/bluegriffon-ng

Daniel, can you explain this link you gave?

  1. Is this the new official development site of BG?
  2. Why then does the BG web site indicate some Subversion repository, if you've (thankfully) switched to GitHub?
  3. Should we now file bugs on GitHub instead of the BG Bugzilla site?

Daniel Glazman

Dec 12, 2015, 2:01:45 PM12/12/15
to blueg...@googlegroups.com
On 12/12/2015 19:09, Garret Wilson wrote:

> Daniel, can you explain this link you gave?
>
> 1. Is this the new official development site of BG?

Yes. The master branch stopped at 1.7.2 and bluegriffon-ng is for
>=1.8. I plan to merge it with the master branch soon. It will
be announced on the blog.

> 2. Why then does the BG web site
> <http://bluegriffon.org/pages/Download> indicate some Subversion
> repository, if you've (thankfully) switched to GitHub?

The page was earlier today.

> 3. Should we now file bugs on GitHub instead of the BG Bugzilla
> <http://bugzilla.bluegriffon.org/> site?

Honestly, I prefer Bugzilla. Issues directly in GH are cooler because
all is integrated BUT Bugzilla remains more powerful, even if it's older
and uglier...

</Daniel>