BlueCove on Android

Vlad Skarzhevskyy

Mar 30, 2009, 7:01:35 PM3/30/09
to bluecove-...@googlegroups.com
Do you think it is possible to make BlueCove version for current
Android platform?

If we can use D-Bus using AF_LOCAL/UNIX domain sockets available in
SDK http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/LocalSocket.html
can it connect to BlueZ on Android ?

Another question is can we make JNI library on Android. We still need
to access AF_BLUETOOTH sockets.

--
Vlad

Mina Shokry

Mar 30, 2009, 7:16:58 PM3/30/09
to bluecove-...@googlegroups.com
I read this before. someone explained a tweak to make JNI on android but I don't remember where.
but why not we just wait to see official bluetooth APIs in android SDK and implement blucove over them.
Android APIs for bluetooth will appear soon or later.

Mark Swanson

Mar 30, 2009, 8:27:51 PM3/30/09
to bluecove-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea. It makes sense to me that D-Bus should be the standard
supported BT API on Android. It seems it is D-Bus/BlueZ is available on
the Android:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/msg/24d7a32157dcd28d

It doesn't sound that positive because of this comment: " which is all
really what bluetooth device can do on Android. :( "

Vlad Skarzhevskyy

Mar 31, 2009, 2:49:49 PM3/31/09
to bluecove-...@googlegroups.com
Update 1:
Looking at the project http://code.google.com/p/android-random/
Code Example JNITest
so JNI should work

Update 2:
I just received a "Android Dev Phone 1"
Will keep you posted on updates.

Vlad Skarzhevskyy

Mar 31, 2009, 7:50:46 PM3/31/09
to bluecove-...@googlegroups.com
This is updates
D-Bus socket path on android is unix:path=/dev/socket/dbus

ls -l /dev/socket/dbus
srw-rw---- bluetooth bluetooth 2009-03-31 19:27 dbus

So when I made application that connect to D-Bus on Android I got:

org.freedesktop.dbus.exceptions.DBusException: Failed to connect to
bus Permission denied

On 1.0 adb shell gives you root access
So I did
chmod 777 /dev/socket/dbus
BTW This need to be done after every reboot of the phone .

Then I got another error
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: U_ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT_ERROR
at com.ibm.icu4jni.text.RuleBasedCollator.setDecomposition(RuleBasedCollator.java:400)
at java.text.Collator.setDecomposition(Collator.java:284)
at org.freedesktop.dbus.Transport$SASL.<clinit>(Transport.java:108)

Presumably this can be fixed......

this is as far as i gone today.

Conclusion the current state of Android would not allow us to make
User Bluetooth application.
We can still make is as prove of concept.