BlogML.vNext

Keyvan Nayyeri

May 10, 2011, 8:26:44 PM5/10/11
to blogml-...@googlegroups.com
I've already started to reload the project and rewrite BlogML as the next major version, most likely the long-been-waiting-for 3.0! Let's discuss the pros and cons of what I propose here so we can agree on what we want to do.

For vNext, BlogML will represent a blog with the following structure:
  • A blog with common properties: title, subtitle, datecreated, etc
  • Authors
  • Categories
  • Tags
  • Posts
As much as possible, I'll try to include extended attributes/elements so extra data can be stored with different items.

One thing that I may need to get rid of (which probably breaks our existing schema) is the use of the Node base which doesn't fit IMO. I'd like to have a better abstraction in there and a better naming convention (people have been complaining about readability and design).

I am building the new version with the following main goals in mind:
  • Reactivate the project.
  • Upgrade the codebase to the latest technologies.
  • Change the framework design to be simple and easy to use/understand.
  • Use a level of abstraction on everything making it easier for extensibility and testability.
The main concern for me is the compatibility with the past but I believe we have to eventually do this at some point and sooner is better than later. I'd personally prefer to sacrifice compatibility for a concise and good design that we can build our future versions on.