JSP Support not configured

Jonathan Candelaria

Jan 11, 2016, 5:14:58 PM1/11/16
to Blacklight Development
I followed the directions, and attempted to import a MARC file with the rake solr:marc:index MARC_FILE=(pathtofile) command...and it will start, but ultimately throw a Java exception. At the end, no matter how small the marc file is, it wont ever move after "Attempting to read data from stdin". Any advice? I am unfamiliar with JSP.

bladmin@BLTest:~/my_new_blacklightapp/marc$ rake solr:marc:index MARC_FILE="ASU EDS Load 2.out"
(in /home/bladmin/my_new_blacklightapp)
java -Xmx512m  -Dsolr.hosturl=http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/blacklight-core  -jar /home/bladmin/.rbenv/versions/2.2.3/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/blacklight-marc-5.10.0/lib/SolrMarc.jar /home/bladmin/my_new_blacklightapp/config/SolrMarc/config.properties ASU EDS Load 2.out

 INFO [main] (MarcImporter.java:816) - Starting SolrMarc indexing.
 INFO [main] (Utils.java:191) - Opening file: /home/bladmin/my_new_blacklightapp/config/SolrMarc/config.properties
 INFO [main] (MarcImporter.java:749) -  Connecting to remote Solr server at URL http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/blacklight-core/update
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/blacklight-core/admin/registry.jsp
    at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1627)
    at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1037)
    at org.solrmarc.solr.SolrCoreLoader.loadRemoteSolrServer(SolrCoreLoader.java:351)
    at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.getSolrServerProxy(MarcImporter.java:750)
    at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.loadLocalProperties(MarcImporter.java:193)
    at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcHandler.loadProperties(MarcHandler.java:172)
    at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcHandler.init(MarcHandler.java:118)
    at org.solrmarc.marc.MarcImporter.main(MarcImporter.java:822)
    at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.run(Boot.java:334)
    at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.main(Boot.java:170)
Warning: Specifying binary request handling from a Solr Server that doesn't support it. Enable it in the solrconfig file for that server.
Solrversion UNKNOWN using xml response writer
 INFO [main] (MarcHandler.java:371) - Attempting to read data from stdin

rh...@virginia.edu

Jan 12, 2016, 2:25:35 PM1/12/16
to Blacklight Development
Jonathan,

The message about "JSP" is a red-herring that is leading you astray.

SolrMarc can handle either binary MARC records or MARCXML records,
however it looks at the file extension to determine what type of file
you are passing to it.    If the filename ends with ".mrc"  (or ".marc"
or ".MRC" or ".MARC")  it will interpret the file as a binary MARC file
and load the appropriate reader.   If the filename ends with ".xml"  (or
".XML")  it will interpret the file as a MARCXML file.

If it doesn't see a file with an extension is expects, it assumes that
the input data will be piped into STDIN, and it then attempts to read
that data.   In that case it reads ahead slightly on the STDIN data to
determine what type of file (binary MARC or MARCXML)  you've given and
then proceed on and work.    So if the command submitted by the rake
task was:

java -Xmx512m  -Dsolr.hosturl=http://127.0.0.1:8983/solr/blacklight-core  -jar /home/bladmin/.rbenv/
versions/2.2.3/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/blacklight-marc-5.10.0/lib/SolrMarc.jar
/home/bladmin/my_new_blacklightapp/config/SolrMarc/config.properties <
"ASU EDS Load 2.out"

The import would likely have just worked.  If you rename your file to something.mrc   (or something.xml ) depending on whether it is a binary MARC or a MARCXML file, the import should work.

------------

The JSP message is due to the fact that SolrMarc contains a specially modified version of SolrJ that is designed to be able to communicate with many different versions of Solr from 1.3 to 1.4 to 3.x to 4.x Since the Solr developers have changed the protocol used between Solr and a Solr client a few times, the modified SolrJ library needs to determine the version of Solr it is talking to so that it can use the correct protocol. The call it is making asks what Solr version it is talking to, however that particular call doesn't work with Solr version 4.x or newer.

More recent versions of SolrMarc include and use a newer modified SolrJ client library that rather than using the URL http://server:port/solr/core/admin/registry.jsp to determine the version of Solr, will use the URL http://server:port/solr/core/admin/system which should work with Solr servers from version 1.3 through version 5.x

The blacklight distribution should probably be changed to include a more up-to-date version of SolrMarc.

 -Bob Haschart

Justin Coyne

Jan 12, 2016, 2:33:51 PM1/12/16
to Blacklight Development
Bob,

Where does one find a binary release of SolrMarc nowadays?  The defunct google code site is still showing up at the top of Googles search results. On github I only see source releases.

-Justin

rh...@virginia.edu

Jan 12, 2016, 4:22:11 PM1/12/16
to Blacklight Development
That is a good question.   There has been a binary release more recent than the newest available through the GoogleCode site.   I believe it occurred during the period when googlecode source files could still be changed, but binary files could no longer be uploaded, but before the project was migrated to github.

IIRC the release was requested by the VuFind people to address this very issue (registry.jsp error)  and at the time Demian from VuFind provided some location to host the binary release files.

Unfortunately I am going out of town for a week starting tomorrow.   I'll see whether I can produce a binary release in the morning before I go.

-Bob Haschart

rh...@virginia.edu

Jan 12, 2016, 6:27:18 PM1/12/16
to Blacklight Development
There should now be a binary release of the most current code for SolrMarc on GitHub  similar to the previous releases on GoogleCode.
I think how these releases are organized and what is included in them and how the overall project is organized should be changed/updated but this may solve the issue at hand for now.

-Bob

Justin Coyne

Jan 13, 2016, 12:35:12 AM1/13/16
to Blacklight Development
Thanks, I've made a PR to blacklight-marc with the 2.9 release of SolrMarc: https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight-marc/pull/28

-Justin

Jonathan Candelaria

Jan 14, 2016, 12:05:11 PM1/14/16
to Blacklight Development
I found what I did. It was the way I was exporting from Sierra.