Quickbooks Error Code 64 - Data file on Network Drive.

Justin Turner

Mar 22, 2001, 12:34:00 AM3/22/01

Hi

One of clients (I'm a network consultant, not an accountant) uses QuickBooks
7.4 multi user on three PC's on their network. The data files are stored
centrally on the server & are accessed from the PC. At least once a day
while they are using QB, usually while building a report or printing to
file, QuickBooks stops & the following error is sent to the log: QBW
03/06/01 3:23:42 The connection to the QuickBooks company file has been
lost. Perhaps there has been a problem with the computer on which
B:\Quickbooks\Current Files\****.QBW resides. QuickBooks must shut down.
(Error code: 64) where **** is the particular file they are working from
(there are 5 companies).

This has the added affect of disconnecting their PC from the network, & it
has to be rebooted to reconnect. Two of the PC's are primarily used for
Outlook, Word & Excel where they function superbly. It's not until
QuickBooks is used as described that the errors occur. The QB file sizes
range from 104KB to 34MB in size, however it seems to happen with the larger
files (10MB & 34MB) more so, but this may just be because they are used
more.

All PC's are using Windows 2000 Pro, two Athlons (800 & 600MHz) & 1 PIII
(600), all with 128MB RAM & 10GB or better hard drives (ATA66). They have
either a DLink DFE 530 or an Intel Pro 10/100 (82559) Management adaptor.
They have Matrox G400 Video cards. The network speed is 100Mb. The sever is
a Dual 500 PIII with 512MB RAM, an 18GB U2W SCSI Hard drive with 2 Intel Pro
10/100 server adaptors running in an adaptive load balancing team. The
server runs NT Server 4.0 SP6a. In general network operation, there is
absolutely no problem. Neither NT or Windows 2000 register an error in their
logs. Why is QuickBooks doing this, & how can I fix it?

Many thanks,

Justin Turner

Sydney, Australia

Mike Block - Tax Cut C.P.A.

Mar 22, 2001, 8:50:50 AM3/22/01
I have a QB Errors page at http://blocktax.com/. Error codes 55 & 64
are, "The network temporarily went down. It then probably came back
before it was noticed, except for QB, which cannot handle that."

QB seems to become very sensitive to this as file sizes increase. If
you are using a hub, instead of a switch, I would change that. I also
would use Norton Utilities SI or equivalent to check the network speed
of each system.

There is a workaround for reports. Simply copy the file to the local
drive and run the report there.

Mike Block - Tax Cut CPA
World's #1 QuickBooks Top Tester
FREE NetLedger accounting
FREE 462p QB books/error codes
100+ QB add-ons http://blocktax.com/
QB no-spam news: biz.comp.accounting
-----------------------------------
Spam bait admin@localhost abuse@localhost
webmaster@localhost postm...@127.0.0.1
enfor...@sec.gov cyber...@nasaa.org

David Ray

Mar 22, 2001, 9:34:45 AM3/22/01
This is a network issue, not a quickbooks one.

95% of the time this is a cable-related issue, and that should be your first
suspicion. In particular, if the network is 100mbps and NOT 10/100, then
cabling has to be perfect. If an amateur installed the cable ends, there's
your problem. CAT5 specs require the pairs to be twisted to with 1/4" of
the final termination, corners should have at least an 18" turning radius,
etc. This stuff matters. If your premises have not been properly cabled,
have it done. This involves installing a cat-5 patch panel, and cat-5 jacks
at each workstation. Then, use molded patch cords to connect the PC to the
wall jack and the patch panel to the hub.

Components, such as cards, hubs, etc., are highly unlikely to play a part in
this condition and should be the last thing you consider.

The reason you're seeing this only with QB is that the only time the system
is loaded is when QB is moving through a 30MB data file. Loading word
processing & excel files, and printing, provide almost zero load for this
network; but grabbing a 30MB file does, for a second, load the system down.

One other point: If this is happening on more than one W/S, then the
cabling for the workstation-hub connection is less suspect than is that
between the hub and server.

I disagree with Mike about the switch. A hub is inherently a more reliable
device than a switch, although the new switches are probably almost as
reliable. The setup you described running the apps you describe has
absolutely no need for a switch. The point of the switch is to segment the
network (and the traffic) into smaller, more localized chunks to increase
network throughput. You have either 3 or 4 PCs on your network (your
description wasn't totally clear on this). Without some heavy database
application, you simply aren't moving enough data over your 100mbps network
to require a switch under any circumstances.

Fix the cabling and your problem will go away...

David

"Justin Turner" <logi...@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message

Mike Block - Tax Cut C.P.A.

Mar 22, 2001, 9:55:24 AM3/22/01
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:34:45 GMT, "David Ray" <da...@timecalc.com>
wrote:

If David disagrees with me about the switch I am sure HE is right.

Mike Block - Tax Cut CPA

Mike Block - Tax Cut C.P.A.

Mar 22, 2001, 9:26:49 PM3/22/01