problems "seeing" image in standalone version.

Jessica Womack

Sep 9, 2015, 8:00:57 AM9/9/15
to BitCurator Users
Hi,
I have the standalone version of Bitcurator running on a laptop. Each time I try to take a disk image Guymager appears to be working smoothly, but when I go to the desitnation folder there are no files to be found. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they solve it?

Cheers,
Jessica

Porter Olsen

Sep 9, 2015, 9:13:06 AM9/9/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,

The likely problem is that you're saving the image in a directory not visible to the bcadmin user (the default BitCurator user). Guymager runs as root in order to have access to raw devices (unmounted disks), so if you're not careful when you specify the directory where you want the image saved, then it can end up in a directory only accessible to root. If you save future images in /home/bcadmin or any sub-directories of the same, then you should be able to see you disk images without any problems.

Best,
Porter

Jessica Womack

Sep 9, 2015, 4:32:52 PM9/9/15
to BitCurator Users
Thanks very much Porter. It sounds like that is the problem. I will try again tomorrow.

Best
Jessica

Porter Olsen

Sep 10, 2015, 11:53:41 AM9/10/15
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com

One other thing, Jessica. Don't save your disk image to directories created through the Guymager interface. If you create a directory through Guymager, it will be owned by root and thus inaccessible, along with anything it contains, to regular users.

elizabeth...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2015, 11:28:08 PM9/26/15
to BitCurator Users
Hi List

I have done something very similar to Jessica, though in the VM version. My question is how do I delete the folders and files I created through the Guymager interface? They're in the Shared folders and Media folder, but not visible in Windows.

Also, when I'd made this mistake and was imaging some floppies, I had folders (empty) named after the image appear in the Shared folders and Media folder, though all the images and info files were in the folder I had named (Shared folders and Media/floppies).

Thanks for you help
Elizabeth