How to print directory and file structure as seen in Disk Image Access?

Ben Riesenberg

Jun 29, 2017, 1:04:05 PM6/29/17
to BitCurator Users, Ann Lally, rie...@uw.edu

Hi all and thank you in advance for any assistance.

Briefly, I'm an LIS master's student, and am using BitCurator as part of directed fieldwork stabilizing digital objects that have come into University of Washington Special Collections on physical media.

As a part of our ingest and appraisal process, we generate a complete directory/file listing for each disk image using BitCurator's Disk Image Access interface. We have some experience using JDirPrint, a directory-printing application for windows, as well as using the tree command in the Ubuntu terminal. However, the Disk Image Access interface seems to give us the most detail, indicating things like deleted or unallocated files as well as FAT volumes, etc.

The only problem is that at present we are copying and pasting each individual volume, directory, subdirectory, and file name from Disk Image Access to a spreadsheet where file structure and other characteristics are recorded. It seems that there must be a better way to do this, but we haven't found it yet.

Is there some way to print the directory shown in Disk Image Access? Or to copy the whole thing to the clipboard, as opposed to selecting, copying, and pasting one line at a time?

Thank you,
Ben Riesenberg

Kam Woods

Jun 29, 2017, 8:40:09 PM6/29/17
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

There's currently no print or directory list export facility in this tool. However, there are many different ways to export the information you require. You may wish to check out this post:

All of the scripts and tools required for this are built into BitCurator (note that mount_ewf.py is located at /usr/bin/mount_ewf.py).

Kam

Ben Riesenberg