FITS and FIDO in BitCurator 1.8.0

jamiean...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2018, 9:54:01 AM4/10/18
to BitCurator Users
Hello all,

Forgive me if this is a basic question, but I'm trying to figure out what tools are included in the version of BitCurator that my institution is running.

This page lists FIDO as one of the tools in the environment: https://wiki.bitcurator.net/index.php?title=BitCurator_Environment_Releases

We have 1.8.0 installed, and I can find FIDO but not FITS. I'd just like to confirm that FITS isn't supposed to be there, because it could be user error that I'm not seeing it. Or there are some quirks with the way our workstation was set up (before my time), so it's possible that has something to do with it.

Thank you!

Jamie

Matthew Disregardmatthew Farrell

Apr 10, 2018, 10:01:15 AM4/10/18
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamie -

I may be getting the particulars of this incorrect, but I the gist is that upstream Java issues led to FITS running into errors around BitCurator 1.7.x (when the underlying OS changed from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04). It was removed from BitCurator releases at that point. Apologies for the outdated documentation.

best,
farrell

Kam Woods

Apr 10, 2018, 10:43:26 AM4/10/18
to bitcurat...@googlegroups.com
Additional background and rationale: the BitCurator environment (1) tracks the "defaults" for software in LTS releases of Ubuntu and (2) uses OpenJDK both on principle and because automating license-click-through of the Oracle JDK install is a pain and probably not legit for redistribution. Ubuntu 16.04 defaults to OpenJDK 8. Ubuntu 18.04 (about to be released) defaults to OpenJDK 9. FITS doesn't appear to run under either of these (at least not readily).

The next major release of BitCurator will be 18.04 based, so if someone is interested in digging into this and figuring out what it would take (and if it's possible) to get FITS running cleanly with OpenJDK 9, please get in touch with me!

Kam

jamiean...@gmail.com